DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

BLOWN TURBO ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
GLYNNE

England 
BLOWN TURBO ?

How would you know if your turbo was Censored
where is the turbo located and what pipes running to and from could be checked for splits Question
I know Censored all about engines so any pointers would be good
Thumbs Up

Post #36209019th Oct 2008 7:09 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Have you had any Engine System Fault errors pop up ?
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #36209519th Oct 2008 7:14 pm
GLYNNE

England 

None what so ever, that's whats so frustrating. I drove back from Spain towing a large most probably overweight caravan. Yes it drove like a pile of Censored but it did make it, all with no warning lights Confused

Post #36210219th Oct 2008 7:21 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Blown turbo is usually signified by a considerable loss of power together with engine fault reports. A check up is required though methinks Thumbs Up
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #36210819th Oct 2008 7:32 pm
GLYNNE

England 

Big Cry Its been for its check up Big Cry This is the problem, they say it needs a new butterfly mechanism and think it might need a turbo as well Banging Head well does it or not for Censored sake and as it Censored up 4 weeks out of warranty and the best they will help is to contribute 25% of the bill i told them i will collect the car Big Cry
So that is why i have removed the butterfly and will be blanking the EGR when i receive them, then i can go from there and see if it then works or not.

Keeping my fingers crossed but my luck is Thud Censored
Thumbs Up

Post #36212019th Oct 2008 7:42 pm
MikeT

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

On the day I was to collect my D3, the turbo 'blew'. Fortunately the dealer was driving at the time. At first I had lots of misinformation about the EGR valves being the cause and requiring replacing, but it turned out in the end that there is an electrical wiper assembly on the turbo that had a known design fault. This has been designed out subsequently. I was told that this wiper controls the turbo vanes, but don't offer any knowledge on this !

The symptoms where the failure light on the dash and a dramatic loss of power.

Post #36229320th Oct 2008 10:22 am
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Shocked Crikey,no wonder they were cagey about it MikeT Laughing . 'Designed out subsequently', and you have a MY 07 vehicle! So, knowing LR, that means almost all of us have a turbo with a known design fault Shocked If this is correct, then surely we are all entitled to have this corrected FOC at the first sign of the problem, in warranty or not.(pending our survival of the chronic loss of power, of course). Whistle

Post #36229920th Oct 2008 10:42 am
elephantman

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

could this be why LR extended warranty doesn't cover the turbo?

Post #36236320th Oct 2008 1:20 pm
MikeT

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

May be a danger that in using my own words that I am taking it out of context !

I think they actually referred to it as a 'known problem' and that a later design didn't have this problem. And yes, as mines an 07, that could affect a lot of D3s (sometimes new parts/components are fitted that introduce a problem, therefore not necessarily anything before 07 affected). However I guess LR would take a view on the frequency of the occurrence before issuing any recalls, it may be that they will change on a reactive basis and not a proactive basis.

Iam surprised, nay shocked the LR warranty excludes the Turbo! Shocked Is this right? On what basis? Fair wear and tear I can understand but to exclude a component seems a large omission. the assumed advantage of having LR extended warranty is that it is the same as the manufacturers warranty enjoyed when new as opposed to an insurance against failures where you get what you pay for.Or am I just being naive Embarassed

Post #36241920th Oct 2008 4:05 pm
Wex

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Quote:
up 4 weeks out of warranty and the best they will help is to contribute 25% of the bill

I'd park it in front of the dealers gate , wheel clamp and not move until the full cost is met.The bad press will far outweigh the cost of the repair works.I'd understand if it was three or four months out Rolling Eyes

Post #36242820th Oct 2008 4:15 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Pelyma

England 

I'm surprised that they will only meet that much have you been onto LRCS?
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #36253120th Oct 2008 7:06 pm
gilbo

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

Hi Glynne
When my turbo went just over a year ago ( and thankfully still in warranty) I got a systems failure message each time and it wouldn't pull the skin of a rice pudding!! In other words I would be very dubious if it were the turbo - mine certainly wouldn't have pulled any sort of caravan - it just about drove itself at 20 - 30 mph each time the fault occured over a couple of days. Chucked it into the dealer and the fault codes suggested turbo - which they changed with LR approval - took a few days and apparently cost is about £2k all in!! Fingers crossed for you that it is the EGRs! Although I expect there are other faults that could occur without the messages???? Sounds like too much guesswork to me.
Reading the other posts I now wonder if I have one of the 'new'. 'modified' turbos - in which case I might just kep the car for a few years.
Hope that helps
Gilbo

Post #36256220th Oct 2008 8:00 pm
karlo

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

My turbo died by 26k and out of warranty. Got a brand new on a manifold for 500 quid delivered from a peugeot dealer down south. Got my independant to fit it. Stripped the old turbo and yes, it's the variable vanes that were jamming on full boost. This either caused an over boost shutdown or overload on the small motor that drives the vanes open and closed. The ring that the vanes are mounted on has rollers supporting it. There seeemed to be wear in the rollers because the ring would move in all directions, not good on a precision item.
Because they burn oil in the early days, they need to be driven slightly harder now and again to keep them clear, otherwise the soot and fumes from the egr will contribute to the clogging up. Regular good quality fuel system cleaner should help. Mine was a low mileage 54plate that had been stood for a lot of it's life and done quite a lot of short low speed journeys.
The replacement turbo however did seem to have a part number several later than the original one so maybe they have "improved" later versions!!!!!!

Post #36611928th Oct 2008 9:53 pm
Wex

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Any good news on this Glynne ?

Post #36613228th Oct 2008 10:03 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
GLYNNE

England 

Sad No not as yet, but i will keep you informed Thumbs Up

Post #36627629th Oct 2008 1:25 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >