Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Blown turbo intercooler hose
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
ontheridge

Australia 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Blown turbo intercooler hose

Headed home last Sunday arvo just about to climb the last 2 km up the hill to the top of the ridge where we live and POP, actually a loud POP. Then no power & lots of black smoke from the exhaust, no warnings no alarms, engine still idling just fine. I pulled over and check everything I could, nothing to be seen.

So decide to get the Disco home and call LR assist from there. No problems, 1st gear not too many revs and we got into the driveway easily.

Decided to LR monday morning, all went very smooth, tow truck picked up the car within 45mins, local & only LR dealer had it diagnosed and parts on the way from interstate by 3pm and car was ready to pickup by midday Tuesday. Have to congratulate the dealer and staff, they do seem to care and make every effort to help.

So they tell me it was a blown intercooler hose (thought it may have been the turbo for a minute), hence lack of power and black smoke. Question is, is this common in any way, has anyone else experience the same failure..

I have a few trips planned during the next 3 months so I am interested to know if this is a real one off, or something else we need to consider when headed bush.

Your feedback will soon let us know if it's a one off.

Cheers
Shaun
 D4 TDV6 MY13' - 2 weeks away!
RRS S/C MY10' - muchly loved and just gone
D3 TDV6 SE MY06' - loved and gone 

Post #29738710th May 2008 2:17 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

ISTR that there have been a couple of problems like this reported on the forum, but AFAIK its not a widespread issue. More bad luck than anything else.

Some have had the turbo go, but again, only a few from what has been posted on the forum. Assuming the rest of the system has been physically checked by your excellent dealer, then I would assume you'll be OK.

But use the forum's search facility and do a check.

Post #29738910th May 2008 2:28 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

I did a quick search of the site and only found 1 other incidence ...in that case the hose had just come away...it is under pressure and that would explain the pop.
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #29739010th May 2008 2:33 pm
ontheridge

Yep, i was interested to see the hose, but it was already in the bin and no longer accessible.

Pitty, would have been interesting to see.

Post #29784312th May 2008 12:11 pm
catweasel

its your hose, you should have made them fish it out.

Post #29789912th May 2008 3:09 pm
lrdef110

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

Shaun, I had a very similar experience at Tumut on my way to the 60th anniversary at Cooma. Hugh clouds of black smock and big loss of power. Ok on flat road but no power for hills. My turbo hose had a slit about 2 inches long in it. Obviously couldn't get one to continue on our trip so I got a piece of exhaust pipe and shoved it up the inside of the hose and clamped it on the outside. This lasted to get us 2,000 plus kms home to Mackay. LR provided a new one under warranty but I am keeping the bit of pipe in my tool kit because if it happened again in the desert or somewhere else remote you would not get out. I thought is was a one off but seems there are some other cases around.
Barry.

Post #29859914th May 2008 9:43 am
ontheridge

Yep, sounds like a good idea, especially if you are going to end up somewhere slightly remote and alone.

Post #29914815th May 2008 1:17 pm
garryc

Australia 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

lrdef110 wrote:
Shaun, I had a very similar experience at Tumut on my way to the 60th anniversary at Cooma. Hugh clouds of black smock and big loss of power. Ok on flat road but no power for hills. My turbo hose had a slit about 2 inches long in it. Obviously couldn't get one to continue on our trip so I got a piece of exhaust pipe and shoved it up the inside of the hose and clamped it on the outside. This lasted to get us 2,000 plus kms home to Mackay. LR provided a new one under warranty but I am keeping the bit of pipe in my tool kit because if it happened again in the desert or somewhere else remote you would not get out. I thought is was a one off but seems there are some other cases around.
Barry.

Could you tell us what size exhaust pipe you used and where the split occurred Wink Thanks
 2013 D4, E-diff, Vision pack

Never propose to a Yak 

Post #29992617th May 2008 9:22 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
lrdef110

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

The hose cracked on the top about 50 cm from the intake before where it bends down towards the bottom of the engine. I was lucky enough to find a very helpful owner of an exhaust shop who cut a piece of 2" exhaust pipe and flared the end slightly so when it was pushed inside the cracked hose it sat up against the intake. Don't know why it would crack where it did, but thats what happened.
Barry

Post #30136521st May 2008 10:10 am
Hobgoblin

Location: As always, in the sh*t, it's only the depth that varies

Spain 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Kaikoura StoneDiscovery 4

Does anybody know if there is a silicon turbo hose kit available for the D3 Question
 I'm not as good as I once was........but I'm as good once as I ever was.  
Post #30159521st May 2008 7:29 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >