DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Bluetooth phone question.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 
Bluetooth phone question.

I have a November 04 car, that does not have the BTooth phone.

It is an HSE with the voice control. I have fitted a hands free system for my Sony Ericsson K700i, but it does not use the cars speakers or voice, and does not mute the radio, but it works OK.

I called in at my dealer today for a chat, and got talking about having the now available Btooth kit fitted. The first thing that was pointed out was that my phone is not supported, but the earlier SE T630 is, and I reckon the bluetooth on that is the same as my K700i. The T630 and K700 both have the same handsfree kit from Sony.

My dealer said that I could keep the sony cradle that I have, which would charge the battery, and have the BTooth enabled to allow the car to control the phone, using the speakers and the built in voice control. They said that they would need to fit the voice buttons to the steering wheel, which confused me a little, as mine already has the voice switch on the left of the wheel.

They did not have a vehicle in which had the kit installed, so they could not demo it to me.

What has really suprised me is the cost. When I ordered the vehicle, it was a quoted @ £300 option. I did not order it, and was told that it was not available yet and would be a available at a later date. I now find out that the cost to install it in a pre March build vehicle is over £600 Shocked

If this is true, then it is not worth it. Has anyone on here had the system retro fitted, and did you pay 600 quid? I notice that it is still a @£300 option on a new vehicle ordered today. Does the system have additional buttons on the steering wheel? and can anyone supply a photo of these?

Post #297429th Apr 2005 11:04 pm
BN

England 

Gareth, I have just fitted myself a Parrot CK3500 and it is amazing. Not only does it work through the speakers of the car it works if the radio is on or off. It is a phone in its own right with a sim card and a GPS system. Has a little dial on the dash with a 500 number memory. If that is not enough it also takes up to 5 additional bluetooth phones of all makes. There is the possibility of adding telematics as well. Finally the car can be tracked and can transmit and it has GPRS plus loads more all for £299. Take a look at www.parrot.biz If that is not right it will direct you to it. The hardest thing was getting the front of the radio off, it comes out with all the aircon controls, but once that is out and 4 torx screws it was easy. Very Happy I think I can text from it as well, but not too bothered about that.

Post #299130th Apr 2005 12:00 am
grommet

United States 

The left button on the steering wheel is for general voice control (if equipped). Two additional buttons are added on the right when the vehicle is equipped with PTI/Bluetooth... basically start call & end call. This is for both the new factory version and the (less capable until I hear otherwise) dealer kit version.

[typo fixed]

Last edited by grommet on 30th Apr 2005 8:08 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #299330th Apr 2005 5:33 am
Ecosse

Note - the picture posted by Grommet is for a non-UK car. However, when the steering wheel is on the right (& correct!!) side of the car the phone on/off buttons remain at the right hand side of the wheel.

Post #299430th Apr 2005 7:11 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

OK thnks for that, I understand now.

Post #299830th Apr 2005 8:17 am
DiscoMad

Gareth, the cost is silly I agree - far out of my what I deem to be reasonable !

But. the parts cost about £400 (maybe a bit less) and the rest is labour, and if you take a look at the fitting instructions on the GTR owners manual site, there is a heap load of work to fit the kit.

- remove trim surrounding gear lever
- remove steering wheel and take apart, discard the radio controls and fit a new sub assembly with radio controls and the phone switches
- remove trim arround radio and remove aircon controller, radio and sub frame. Fit two modules to sub frame and lots of wiring (including 3 new wires into the radio plugs)
- remove front interior light unit and drivers front a-pillar trim to fit new mic (not sure if the voice control mike can be re-used)
- Put it all back together.

I think the amount of work and unfamiliarity is why some dealers have taken two days to fit this kit. At £100 per hour (even in the midlands) thats a lot of cash !

I would stick with an aftermarket kit. The Sony Ericsson units are reliable and can now integrate with the radio. The Parrot kits are very functional, but (sorry BN) dont have a solid reliablity track record.

The whole issue of aftermarket (and factory fitted bluetooth) kits seems to be very fickle, with mixed results across the board.
If you get lucky then great, if not, then you can get alot of troubles.

For more conversation about various kits and issues, see the following sites;

www.siocommunications.co.uk and their forum at

http://users.boardnation.com/~sio_communications/index.php

If you want the name of an installer who has done loads of Disco3 installs with a lead that mutes the radio and works through all speakers then PM me.

Edited to fix forum URL. Martin

Post #299930th Apr 2005 10:25 am
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Having had only non vehicle specific phone kits up to now, my view is that the PTI system is the best I have ever had. The sound in the vehicle is excellent and everyone seems to be able to hear what I say on the handsfree perfectly......all that on Bluetooth, and not using the full cradle integration.

Post #30933rd May 2005 5:22 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Winger,

Sorry completely lost the thread here... which PTI system are you referring too ?

Also how much fitted post purchase ?

Thanks,

-s

Post #31143rd May 2005 9:20 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

LR factory version - which can also, now, be fitted by dealers. Don't know what the cost of the latter is, but if you don't go for the full integration there isn't a great deal to add to the vehicle.

Post #31243rd May 2005 10:21 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

So you had the kit that uses the keypad and radio display ?

-s

Post #31434th May 2005 8:23 am
Big Al

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Winger,

Is that correct, you have the full PTI phone kit as per the factory installation, complete with keypad, ariel, cradle etc....

If this is the case I'm off to my dealers this morning and hopefully they will also be able to do this for my car too. I've been waiting for the full PTI to be released as dealer fit, I bought PTI upfront in November when I ordered the car and ensured that the outstanding PTI was noted upon my order as undelivered such that when the dealer fit full PTI was available it could be fitted-So I'm a very happy bunny right now and will be even happier once I have PTI Smile

Post #31454th May 2005 8:37 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
scorpio

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

I have the full PTI phone kit in my TDV6 S and I have to say it is probably the best phone kit I have ever used for sound quality.

Post #31474th May 2005 10:18 am
Big Al

Thanks Scorpio,

Stop rubbing it in, I would dearly love to have the full factory fit PTI and also be able to hear for myself how good the system is but, apart from Winger's comments above, I have heard nothing that the fuill PTI can now be dealer fitted.

Winger, please elaborate how you came to get the full factory fitted PTI into your vehicle from the dealers. If you like please PM me to go into more details.

Oh, .....a long time ago...... (ooops dropped into Star Wars mode then!!) Smile I did purchase PTI from LR who screwed up and only now are able to provide vehicles with PTI fitted BUT still haven't sorted out those who supported the D3 launch with goods already purchased Sad

Post #31484th May 2005 10:37 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Big Al wrote:
ooops dropped into Star Wars mode then!!

May the 4th be with you.

Had to be said Razz

Martin

Post #31494th May 2005 10:54 am
Big Al

LOL

But shouldn't it be May 18th - that's when Star Wars III is out I believe - Revenge of the Sith - I cant wait!!!!

I'll probably have to console myself, relentlessly going over the entire Star-wars series, in order!!!, before I ever get PTI in my disco!!! Sad

May the force be with you, it certainly isn't with LR at the moment!!! Twisted Evil

Post #31504th May 2005 11:21 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >