Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

Bluetooth streaming music D3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
BWYoda

United States 2005 LR3 5.0 V8 SE Auto Chawton WhiteLR3

Thanks Jake. So did you use a couple of 3.5 leads stripped at one end to splice into the output on the AO?

Post #168276420th Jul 2016 4:07 pm
Di$comfort

United States 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Edited for clairity.
I'll take some pics right now. I hesitated before bc I have mine wrapped in heat shrink. I tend to tweak out on electronics...I uncased both the AO unit and the Pac10 line amp https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003LWV7...&psc=1 and wired leads direct to their boards. It's really not as complicated as it sounds. Just five wires in and three out.
On the in side:
One positive lead for power.
One negative lead for ground.
One left Ch audio
One right ch audio
And one ground shared for the audio channels.
On the output end:
just two wires.
One left ch and one right.

The cases these come in are much larger than they need to be. Probably for robustness but we are tucking these in the dash and they won't be moving about so I was more concerned with space. They are both now the size of one of the original units.
I have an extra set. I'll take some pics now with them wrapped up and do a full pic how to in the next couple days.
 06' LR3 HSE_H/D pkg_D4 BT_Adrians RR nav mod_African Outdoor Bluetooth_GVIF_Rearview_BFGTKO2_ 

Last edited by Di$comfort on 21st Jul 2016 4:33 am. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #168281420th Jul 2016 6:14 pm
BWYoda

Outstanding. Thanks mate - that would be a huge help! The last thing I want to do is see a pile of ash where the LR3 used to be! By the way, how much of a difference did you notice with the sound shocker? The other appeal of this (to me at least) was that they promote it as a ground loop isolator in addition to being an amp - notice any electrical noise?

Post #168286320th Jul 2016 7:53 pm
Di$comfort

No noise. Maybe a slight whistle if you max the volume and dont have any audio playing, but that noise is to be expected.
The line amp is absolutely necessary. Ive installed three AO units and all were painful without the line amp.
Without it at max volume on head unit and device it sounds about as loud as if turned to 16 or 20 When compared to other sources. You will also get a huge increase in volume when switching back to a native source. With the line amp you will get almost level volume accross the inputs.
I have heard many say theirs was fine without line amp and my only answer to that is they just dont jam as loud as I do??? idk, its been awful on three diferent lr3 and a RR I have tested with. All were cured with line amps installed. I like the PHP unit but its expensive. Also to be fair the components used inside the PHP cost more than the sum total so I have no idea how he is making money on those. He is a nice guy too. The fact that they work almost as good, dont introduce any noise and do not require power as they are completely passive, is awesome. I would be using that one but i broke mine while disassembling to make it smaller so I got this instead https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003LWV7...&psc=1
It instals the same as the PHP Sound Shocker but you need to tap power from the AFrican Outdoor unit.
 06' LR3 HSE_H/D pkg_D4 BT_Adrians RR nav mod_African Outdoor Bluetooth_GVIF_Rearview_BFGTKO2_ 

Last edited by Di$comfort on 21st Jul 2016 4:30 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #168288820th Jul 2016 8:28 pm
Di$comfort

My apologies. I was unable to get into the shop tonight.
And I made a mistake that may have been confusing.
I used a line amp called a pac10 NOT the PHP sound shocker. I did try the PHP and it worked good but I destroyed it trying to make it smaller.
The Pac10 works a bit better but it does require its own power. Other than the extra pos/neg leads it installs exactly the same. And the power feed is easily tapped from the African Outdoor unit.
Here is the link for what I used.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003LWV7...&psc=1
Ill edit my other posts to reflect the change.
Best
Post #168294221st Jul 2016 4:28 am
BWYoda

No worries Jake - the power was one of the things that was throwing me as the sound shocker is passive. When you get around to taking the photos it'd be great to see how you did this. I already have the soundshocker and based on your experience it may not be the best thing for me to remove the casing. With this in mind, how do you recommend connecting to the AO - back to the 3.5 cable? If I make the cable a sufficient length I could stash the unit out of the way. If you reckon it's simpler to just use the PAC10 I can do that too.

Post #168299921st Jul 2016 9:53 am
Bektech

United Kingdom 

sernova wrote:
I can highly reccommend this piece of magic: https://griffintechnology.com/us/itrip-aux-bluetooth

As little clutter and hassle as possible. I plugged it in the 2nd seat row aux jack and aux cigarette socket.

Thumbs Up

Just purchased a Griffin iTrip as it looked a good and simple solution for what I was looking for but it seems only to play in mono from the right hand speaker. Any thoughts on what could be causing this?
Thanks
Daniel

Post #16869221st Aug 2016 10:57 am
jelly9

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

this may help some one.

i used this bluetooth Amplifier work really well, the unit turn on when the power come on and it can run on 5v or 12v-24v.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01DVO...&psc=1

Post #170731717th Sep 2016 3:06 pm
Svenb

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Ent wrote:
I use one of these in a D4 but should be the same for a D3

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/262258906889

Had one in my Audi A5, the audio would 'skip' from time to time but often enough to annoy me, and it seriously reduced the quality of the built in phone bluetooth. Have you noticed anything like this in your D4?

The good about it in the Audi was that it would automatically turn off the radio/music to answer calls using the built in phone BT, and switch back to music when the call was done seamlessly. That still the case on the D4?

Post #171306129th Sep 2016 10:09 pm
pwwalter

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Santorini BlackLR3
Buyers Beware African Outdoor...

Gentlemen,

I purchased one of these units, and found the installation to be seamless and the operation to be as described. However I experienced sub-par volume levels. I easily saved a lot of money by direct wiring and installing a bose bluetooth adapter with a small inline amplifier.

The biggest problem I had, and still have is getting a refund for the purchase of my unit. When I first purchased the unit there was a lack of communication after payment, and a delay in shipping. Upon agreeing upon returning the product I've experienced a complete blackout in communication from African Outdoor and have had to resort to disputing the charges with american express as well as papal. I've uploaded images from the international tracking, the company has been notified of the packages arrival at the post office, but has yet to be picked up still...

Terrible business practices if you ask me.

Caveat Emptor
 Reverse Camera Mod
RR NAvigation Mod
Self Installed Streaming Bose Bluetooth
Updated USB Outlets for all Passengers
3 Flash Locking
LED LR4 Tail Lamps
Front/Rear Ceramic Brake Pads
LR4 Style Honycomb Grill
Front Hood DISCOVERY Lettering
DISCOVERY Side air intake vent

No matter where you go, there you are.
Buckaroo Bonzai 

Post #172143018th Oct 2016 1:08 pm
PeteJJ

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Hi pwwalter,
I just came across your post and am very interested in the Bose set-up you recommended (back in 2016!). Just wondered if it has performed well and if you can give me the product details so I can check to see if they are still available and in the UK!
Cheers

Post #19975223rd Nov 2018 3:12 pm
pwwalter

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Santorini BlackLR3

Ok. I used a Bose 418048 bluetooth adapter I was using at home. You might be able to find a used one, or something equivalent. You’ll need to find a 12V USB outlet that you can hardwire into an ignition on only circuit. I can get you a wiring diagram if you need one. You’ll also need a boostaroo preamp, or the sound quality/volume will be low. The preamp I used is here: http://boostaroo.com/store/12-Volt-Revolut...34-MC.html Disconnect the AUX connector at the rear of the center console (this is mandatory). Then I put the bluetooth unit in the upper glovebox and drilled a hole in the side where the AC vent is. You can easily remove that vent to run your power wires and your audio cables (buy shielded cables, or you’ll get ignition noise!) Once the bluetooth and preamp have power you take the audio out from the bluetooth adapter, run it into the preamp, then I took the audio out from the preamp and ran it through a noise filter (not sure if it helped or not, but it was cheap enough). Then I found the audio harness in the kickpanel (right side for NAS) I’d assume it’s left for the eoluro market. I found the feed wires that take the AUX left and right signals to the rear of the radio and soldered into them. Pair to the bluetooth adapter, switch to AUX and stream away. If you have an Iphone “hey Siri” works to play whatever you want. The only downside is that you cant use the steering wheel controls to change tracks. But the sound quality is 10X better than that South African thing I bought. Also, you need to keep your phone volume at 1/2 way or the preamp distorts it terribly, or maybe that’s my harmon kardon logic 7 that does it, but at 1/2 volume I can crank my tunes and listen in the splendor that my factory HK Logic 7 system was ment to provide. I love it. Let me know if you’ve got any questions, I’m here to help.
 Reverse Camera Mod
RR NAvigation Mod
Self Installed Streaming Bose Bluetooth
Updated USB Outlets for all Passengers
3 Flash Locking
LED LR4 Tail Lamps
Front/Rear Ceramic Brake Pads
LR4 Style Honycomb Grill
Front Hood DISCOVERY Lettering
DISCOVERY Side air intake vent

No matter where you go, there you are.
Buckaroo Bonzai 

Post #19976534th Nov 2018 12:05 am
PeteJJ

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

That's fantastic and thanks for taking the time to explain things.

Post #19983106th Nov 2018 2:00 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >