Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

BN - My First 6 Months with the Discovery 3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
BCP

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

BN, Sorry if I missed an earlier post, but could you explain your torque vs. rpm driving technique.
Thanks, BCP

Post #2465123rd Oct 2005 11:07 pm
BN

England 

Two answers:

blue meanie
to make a vehicle of such weight handle is always going to be difficult, what you still have to maintain in mind is that the D3 is still a general purpose vehicle in so much that it can tow tremendous weights and carry huge loads, therefore it has to lose something to gain all of that. What most people don't know is that if you tow a trailer for business it can take the rig over 3.5 tonnes, so it would require a tachograph fitted and accordingly speeds would have to be lowered. Take for example the motorways, with a trailer the speed limit is 60mph and no use of the outside lane as per truck. Because the D3 is so comfortable, we forget that it is a Land Rover and carries on its inheritance.

BCP
The economy driving technique is both simple and hard to achieve. If you are used to driving a car it will be hard for you, but if you are used to driving a truck or oler Land Rover 110 say it will be easier. Just remember that the D3 is a 'torque' machine that means its power is at the bottom end of its rev range, around 1900 rpm. It tails off at around 2200 rpm and after that the power is basically wasted fuel. Now do not confuse this with the petrol version, I am talking diesel now.

An example, is pulling away from the lights or a junction. 1st gear is a short sharp pull away gear. By this I mean that when starting from a standstill, pull away, count about 3 then change to 2nd. 2nd will take you up to about 25 mph nicely then into 3rd. You will notice by doing this the revs will not go over 2500 rpm and the power will be at your foot all the time.

The next stage is general driving and that again is not always into the highest geat at the eariest opportunity. For instance in a 30 or 40 mph limit, often it is best to leave the car in 4th or 5th and never go near 6th. Once the revs drop below 1900 rpm, you are agian wasting fuel and not gaining torque. So there you have the basis.

Just think that there is a green band between 1900 and 2200 rpm and that is where your revs should be at all times, power and economy.

Post #2466324th Oct 2005 7:45 am
KL

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

The voice of sound reason speaks again.

This is (in my opinion) possibly THE most important post on the board- one I would have found invaluable a few months ago when making my decision on the car. I would have still gone for it though, with my eyes open!

Thanks BN for taking the time to write this. You've set the standard for all us others to follow.

I hope to be able to pen such a valuable contribution when I get to the 6 month stage- I've just reached the 3 month anniversary (ironically spent at the dealer, for the first time)- but feel it a little early to summarise the car as I'm still in the honeymoon phase! Long may it continue.

Hope your teething troubles are behind you (the car; not your dentures)
 Discovery 3 tdv6 7 seat Buckingham Blue
Had it since new - sold Jun 17 after 12 years and 214,000 miles 

Post #2466824th Oct 2005 8:33 am
BN

England 

kevinlally wrote:
The voice of sound reason speaks again.

This is (in my opinion) possibly THE most important post on the board- one I would have found invaluable a few months ago when making my decision on the car. I would have still gone for it though, with my eyes open!

Thanks BN for taking the time to write this. You've set the standard for all us others to follow.

I hope to be able to pen such a valuable contribution when I get to the 6 month stage- I've just reached the 3 month anniversary (ironically spent at the dealer, for the first time)- but feel it a little early to summarise the car as I'm still in the honeymoon phase! Long may it continue.

Hope your teething troubles are behind you (the car; not your dentures)

Cheeky wee skallywag, but thank you.

Post #2466924th Oct 2005 8:37 am
kaney

Maybee Martin should get a second hand D3 with 15-20,000k on the clock, mine had 15,000 and no real probs that i know of (well do you think the dealer would really tell me Rolling Eyes ) just know all the software was taken off and all new put on Thud

Post #2471924th Oct 2005 7:09 pm
BN

England 

kaney wrote:
Maybee Martin should get a second hand D3 with 15-20,000k on the clock, mine had 15,000 and no real probs that i know of (well do you think the dealer would really tell me Rolling Eyes ) just know all the software was taken off and all new put on Thud

I think ver 13 is now the latest as of today (unless someone knows differently) so things may start to get better.

Post #2472324th Oct 2005 7:25 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Brian,

Only just seen this... latest posts feature been playing me up... AWESOME mate ! and your open letter too !!

You had any reaction from Mr Ford or LR yet ?

-s

Post #270779th Nov 2005 8:44 pm
BN

England 

simon wrote:
Brian,

Only just seen this... latest posts feature been playing me up... AWESOME mate ! and your open letter too !!

You had any reaction from Mr Ford or LR yet ?

-s

Did we expect one Shocked NO. But I have not finished yet. Gently gently catchy monkey. These were only the minor problems. It takea a little time, but I am sure we will get some sort of result eventually.

What I do know is that some serious people read this site now and it is not just dealers. We have also acheived a little, by the fact that LR have allowed dealers time to complete EPQR's.

So keep at the dealers and don't let them get away with the EPQR's folks. They are our lifeline to success.

Post #270849th Nov 2005 8:54 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >