DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

BN - My First 6 Months with the Discovery 3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
BN

England 
BN - My First 6 Months with the Discovery 3

The First Six Months with a Land Rover Discovery 3 TDV6 S

It was with a certain amount of fear and trepidation that I decided to change from my belt and braces specially built Land Rover 110 County 300 TDi’s, yes 300 TDi’s with Overdrive. They were a little noisy a little damp and a little slow, but would maintain 70 mph and return 30 mpg and carry and tow a substantial load quota. Selling on was never a problem even with 500K on the clock after 3 or 4 years. This report is my personal opinion and findings and in no way reflects all of my feelings, findings or good and bad points of the Discovery 3 TDV6 S.

The Test Drive
I have owned in the past Discovery’s but they simply did not do the job for me and yes it was for work only. With this all in mind I decided to wander off to a local dealer and ask for an extended test drive, which I duly managed. The drive lasted for three days, which impressed me so much that I considered for a while and placed an order. The test drive was in a TDV6 HSE, which performed perfectly and was automatic with leather etc. My order was to be a TDV6 S (six in fact), so I decided to go with it, but only after at least a few hours in an S. Five were later put on hold due to electronic problems that developed and caused me some concern. The drive was arranged and an immediate worry was the drivers seat, but I still decided to buy thinking the seat was just me.

Placement of the order
I placed a £30K (yes cash as well) deposit as I was promised a one week delivery on the first vehicle. I waited the promised, one week. It never came so I demanded an explanation especially with such a huge deposit and then potential order. The answer was that the factory had quarantined some deliveries. I refused to leave the showroom until I was given a car or my money back. A brand new Range Rover Vogue was produced within ten minutes.

First day
Two weeks later I was told the first car I had ordered had arrived. I collected the car on the wettest day in history and was given a good reduction in the price. Within two miles of leaving the showroom I had an orange handbrake warning light come on. I stopped and switched off and was about to make a call to the dealer when I decided to drive back and risk it. The light had gone, so I continued on my journey home.

The car was parked and left to be admired, it was pretty good looking and looked solid. I was in love and my heart was now taking over my head and wallet, the little brake warning niggle had already been forgotten. I inspected the car inside outside, under the bonnet and under the chassis, it looked great, but what the heck was the half a ton of metal under the back I thought. Later found to be anti vibration dampers.

On further inspection I did notice a few things which needed answers so I looked on the internet for a source of valuable information and found one in the USA. Freeflytim was talking about his car and the new UK site www.disco3.co.uk so I decided to take a look. I was immediately impressed with the quality and reports. Ecosse was very prominent on the site but was having a few problems, so I followed his threads avidly.

To continue
However to continue, the car did well, then suddenly started to display ‘symptons’ of concern. The first and most serious (other than the odd warning light) by far was when the cruise control would not cancel exiting a motorway. Not that it was dangerous, but it caused the engine to race at full revs and I had taken time to run the engine in meticulously as always.

Dealer called and I was told to bring the car in.

Drivers seat
Prior to that, I was having terrible problems with the drivers seat and it was actually hurting my back. I also thought I was shrinking, because the rear view mirror had to be adjusted every time I got in. Problem was that the silly 1987 Ford Granada type seat lifting lever was being pressed each time entry and exit was done, therefore lowering the seat unknown to me.

Defects
Several defects were collated and when I attended the dealership I was told the car was to be left with them for a week or more to find out the problem. I refused and demanded something be done now as the car was a tool, not a family runabout and I needed the tow bar at any unknown time. The Jaguar set for loan was not a 4x4 and would not tow etc. Prior to all of this, I had been in touch with a very high power LRCS person and it was time to involve her in this ridiculous situation. Result, a D3 with tow bar from Gayden direct was produced the next day. My car then spent a week with the technicians.

Result
Result was that the steering wheel slip ring was found to be broken and would take at least three weeks to repair, no parts. This must have effected the suspension as well (which I don’t believe) as it was fine on return from Gayden. Sorry, but I was not having that either, so my senior LRCS contact was called again and was informed that their D3 was to go off road with a serious vengeance as I had a day at Rockingham booked with the Disco3 group. Result, car repaired within 24 hours.

Other problems have been found and resolved, including two software changes but the seat and pre heater remains unresolved, but they are both imminent with results.

So there you have the bad side and the quick history of the car apart from it should have covered over 35K miles by now, but has in fact only covered 7K, which has cost me money. It may have a better resale value, but that is not the point.

Now the good side and the day to day driving of the TDV6 S.

The handling is quite remarkable for a 2.7tonne vehicle. Braking is good, but tells when late braking is carried out by the 2.7 tonnes inertia, which is surprisingly deceptive. Due to its deception drivers who have not driven heavier vehicles could be interestingly caught out until they become familiar with the car. It will most certainly cause heavy brake pad, disc and tyre wear to the drivers who do not realise the weight implication and drive fast and furious, but that is their choice.

Acceleration is not formidable unless copious volumes of fuel are consumed and the gas pedal floored, even then over the magic 2500 RPM band the vehicle trails off in power and increases in wasted fuel. The magic 1900 rpm is where it all happens.

Torque is what this car is all about.

Cornering is formidable and with DSC in very difficult to do much wrong, but take DSC out and boy you are in for some underpant changing. Over and under steer with DSC in is very good, don’t try the over steer with DSC out, it is not for the faint hearted. Generally the car is nimble on its feet for its weight and I return a regular 29.7 MPG to 32.3 MPG.

Towing
Towing is another great joy in this car. However to move a 2.75 tonne trailer from standstill is not so easy as with a 110. In the 110 low range is selected and as the vehicle moves to 3rd low, a quick snick into high range and 1st it will keep moving. The Discovery 3 is more difficult as neutral has to be selected before high range can be and momentum is lost considerably, making it nearly impossible to change on the move from low to high when towing some weight. Weights of 30 cwt or less are not a problem. The procedure is simple, but the electronics are just not quick enough, seems a theme here with electronics.

A few problems were encountered with the towing electrics as the dealer had not told the car they had installed the heavy duty tow kit for me, so it raised the suspension when I selected Mud & Ruts to extract a boat from a slipway. It nearly took off the propeller. The lighting was still on the trailer and that is what decides there is a trailer and it should have held the height in normal as it does when opening a door mid adjustment, but failed. Dealer knew nothing of this command to be configured or how to do it. Later corrected.

On the towing points, the rear intensity fog lights should cancel as they blind the driver when towing a large white trailer. In most cars this is automatic, but on the D3 only in Germany is it an option, because the TUV recommend it, however Land Rover even in Germany chose to ignore that point and only fit the special harness if demanded.

Offroad ability
Now this is where the Discovery 3 comes into its own, what a vehicle. The mapping of the ‘dial a ride’ is amasing and does it all for the driver. All that has to be remembered is to cancel DSC. Then point the car in the direction you want to go, switch on the sound system and go.

Decents, ascents and level ground are all taken in its stride. Like any vehicle, if it is parked on flat level ground in a field of grass and mud, it will not go anywhere, which is down to tyres and driver skill as always and reading the ground conditions accurately.

Give the D3 a steep gravely hill and it will climb relentlessly in a smooth armchair environment. This I feel can give the inexperienced off road driver a sense of false security and cause them to embark on adventures that may be beyond their capabilities, be warned.

Ground clearance is brilliant and the extended leg system works well when cross axled or need that last wheel to dig you off a difficult bit of terrain.

Overhead height can be restrictive, due to the overall height of the car and with the gloss paintwork on the car it is daunting to think how simple it is to damage the paintwork with a low branch.

Tyres fitted as standard are quite brilliant for mild offroading and will certainly see off the competition, such as BMW, Volvo, Lexus and possibly Toyota. Fit a good set of off road tyres and a rear difflock and I doubt if anything will beat the Discovery 3 off road. I have not tried it on beach shingle yet, which is always a very good tester for heavy 4x4’s. Anyone live near Hayling Island and prepared to give it a try? Sand is also a nightmare, not tried that yet either in vengeance.

As with any excellent off road vehicle the rear has some really tough tie down points inside the load space and boy are they needed where this vehicle can go.

Summery of the Discovery 3’s off road ability, fantastic and enjoyable.

Outstanding problems:
Drivers seat
Pre Heater
Pre Cooler
Rear Intensity Lights cut out
Quality of build
Wiring concerns

Bad Points, including dealers and LRCS:
Reliability
Dealer training
Dealer and LR liaison
Spare parts
Fault recognition
LRCS at base level very poor
EPQR failure to record by dealers
Product knowledge by dealerships

Good points:
Comfortable ride (not drivers seat S version)
Good handling
Good fuel returns for weight and capabilities of vehicle
Excellent load carrying capacity in and on the tow bar (roof too high for convenience and low roof load capacity)
Good space in vehicle
Good crash protection
Good sound system
Heater adequate for size of car, but not astounding
Would I buy another

Sorry not just yet. What would I buy in replacement, I have not a clue as there is absolutely nothing what so ever to compare or compete with the Land Rover Discovery 3, it is in a class of its own.
I fail to see how highly paid journalists can even put the Discovery 3 in the same book as a Mercedes ML, BMW 4x4 (hopeful) Volvo, Jeep, Lexus or Toyota as it really is in a class of its own. Only the top end Mercedes have High& Low range gear boxes, the rest are not 4x4 off roaders, lets get that clear.

So why would I not buy another just yet, simply that the reliability of the vehicle electronics, dealer diagnostic and repair skills and Land Rover customer support at low end level is just not good enough yet.

So there you have my thoughts and findings.

Post #2457323rd Oct 2005 7:59 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Thud Thumbs Up Victor Meldrew Java Black Very Happy
 The End  
Post #2457723rd Oct 2005 8:11 pm
kaney

wow Shocked Thumbs Up nice one.B.N.

Post #2457823rd Oct 2005 8:46 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

BN, you don't fool me... you'd never remember all that Rolling Eyes who's your ghostwriter???? Shocked

Post #2457923rd Oct 2005 8:48 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I don't care what you say BN, I'd still have one tomorrow if I could Mr. Green
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #2458223rd Oct 2005 8:51 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BN

England 

Martin wrote:

Ah, didn't say I would not have another one, of course I would, but not just yet. Lets gets the tiny niggles sorted first. By the time you get one in about 1 year they will be fine.

Post #2458523rd Oct 2005 9:00 pm
Dom Harvey
Lord of the Four Fingers 

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

BN wrote:
Martin wrote:

Ah, didn't say I would not have another one, of course I would, but not just yet. Lets gets the tiny niggles sorted first. By the time you get one in about 1 year they will be fine.

....you hope Shocked
 2004 Discovery 3 - gone
2006 Discovery 3 - gone
2008 Discovery 3 GS - gone
2011 Freelander LE Special Edition - gone
2007 Discovery 3 XS - gone
2012 Discovery 4 GS - current 

Post #2459123rd Oct 2005 9:15 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

BN wrote:
By the time you get one in about 1 year

Wishful thinking Shocked
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #2459323rd Oct 2005 9:19 pm
Dom Harvey
Lord of the Four Fingers 

You must have fingerache after all that typing Shocked
 2004 Discovery 3 - gone
2006 Discovery 3 - gone

Post #2462723rd Oct 2005 9:56 pm
BN

England 

Dom Harvey wrote:

Just thought I would give a few thoughts of my experiences. But I sure would buy another, but not for about another 12 months.

Post #2463123rd Oct 2005 10:00 pm
Dom Harvey
Lord of the Four Fingers 

BN wrote:
Dom Harvey wrote:

Just thought I would give a few thoughts of my experiences. But I sure would buy another, but not for about another 12 months.

....well TFC hasn't had any problems yet has he Wink
 2004 Discovery 3 - gone
2006 Discovery 3 - gone

Post #2463523rd Oct 2005 10:09 pm
BN

England 

Dom Harvey wrote:
BN wrote:
Dom Harvey wrote:

....well TFC hasn't had any problems yet has he Wink

No and that may be the good news.

Post #2463623rd Oct 2005 10:12 pm
Dom Harvey
Lord of the Four Fingers 

I'm looking to replace mine in the New Year - Artic Frost here we come Thumbs Up
 2004 Discovery 3 - gone
2006 Discovery 3 - gone

Post #2463823rd Oct 2005 10:22 pm
BN

England 

I think if you can leave it until Mar 06 things will change a lot.

Post #2464123rd Oct 2005 10:30 pm
blue meanie
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

BN, I'm there with you on all of it apart from the handling, to my mind (and experience) my D2 ES7 with ACE actually was better around bends, held it's line
better and was a more informative drive than my current D3. This is probably
due I would guess in part to the extra weight the D3 carries and the way that the air suspension is set for general usage, it could really do with a firmer "sport" setting I think for when you want to get there a bit quicker without feeling a bit sick! Very Happy

cc: and this may be tempting fate, 1000miles and no problems as yet!
 and theeeeennn......??? 

Last edited by blue meanie on 23rd Oct 2005 11:10 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #2464923rd Oct 2005 11:01 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >