Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

BP Ultimate Diesel
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
d3matt

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
BP Ultimate Diesel

A few days ago I went to fill up on an M6 service station and they had run out of normal diesel (caused queues and big delays!!). So I had to fill up with BP Ultimate diesel. During the long motorway drive home, I got 29mpg with the cruise control on at 79mph. My mph is exact, as my Talex gps shows the speed.
Yesterday I had to fill up again and I used normal diesel. Then again on the long motorway drive home, I did the same test (for 2 hours of driving) and with the cruise control on at 79mph I was only getting 23mph.

Maybe I got a bad tank of diesel as 23mph was unusual for the style of driving. Or maybe the engine was adjusting to the difference in fuel (a full tank of £75 worth in each case). Or maybe it shows that BT Ultimate does work.

Has anyone else found this? If Ultimate is this good, then it is probably worth the extra money. I'm doing a lot of driving this week, so I'll monitor it. I'll try another tank of normal diesel and then try a tank of Ultimate again to see if I notice the difference again.

PS. My car is now only 5 weeks old and done 3,600 miles already! I ended up sleeping in it last night at two different service stations down the M1. My god there is a lot of traffic on the M1 at 4.30am. It was bright and sunny and just as busy as if it was 10am!
 Matt  
Post #6124931st May 2006 8:36 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I find I also get a better range on BP Ultimate too... BUT...

Esso Energy gives me near identical benefits and costs the same as regular diesel.

-s

Post #6125231st May 2006 8:46 am
BCP

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Experimenting at present with BP ultimate and a set of Cooper STs. 29.1mpg with mixed driving and a light right foot. Should be better when I get round to putting the scorpions back on.
BP

Post #6125831st May 2006 10:10 am
Ocsid

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

I have tried to do some constructive comparisions between my normal Shell and BP Ultimate diesel. I am not convinced it is any better in MPG or refinement with the Disco3 HSE [Auto]. I do a high % towing a large caravan so have not been able to compare over multiple tankfulls, the only realway, its effect on solo performance.
However in my wifes Golf PD 150bhp GTI, its startling. Mainly in the refinement it gives the engine at lower rpms; it gives that vehicle a 5mpg benefit. The vehicle is so relatively frugal that it is worth the extra cost in refinement alone.
In the Disco3 I am 4 tank fulls into evaluating Shell with Millers Diesel Plus. Initial thoughts are this is marginally better. Costwise its about half the premium paid for BP Ultimate.
Off on 2000 miles of towing plus 750 ish solo during June so will be able to compare with last year when I was not using an addative. However this will be with a mix of various French diesel fuels, not Shell alone.
Over the 10262 miles its retured 21.97 mpg,
Towing accounts for 4144 miles with associated 19.53mpg.
This gives a solo return of 24.07mpg.
However all the solo running tends to be associated with the caravanning, so it is bumbling around exploreing locations, a bit like city driving. I simply dont get any good sustained solo long distance runs.
Have to say I am a touch disappointed with the returns but feel much is down to the Autos fluid coupling. However with it the HSE makes a great towcar.

Post #6129931st May 2006 4:39 pm
PIP

England 

Sorry but I'm still not a fully grown up member of the D3 club but I have been testing the BP ultimate for the last 5,000 mls.
Jeep Cherokee 2.8 Man.
Supermarket diesel was my usual fuel and that averaged 27.6 mls to the gal. over 2700 mls. I then started useing B.P Ultimate. Over the last 2560 mls the average has risen to 31.7.
Even allowing for the rise in air temp over the last few weeks I don't think that's bad considering the large amount of U.S pig iron under the bonnet.
Distinct lack of early start-up smoke as well.

Got to say the D3 still looks a bl...dy great motor...........perhaps one day soon.
 Tetbury,
Where antique dealers breed like rabbits.
D3 one day soon. 

Post #6134631st May 2006 9:48 pm
gilmore

England 

I'm not sure how much you guys are paying for each fuel, so does the increase in mpg offset the higher price if BP Ultimate?
regs
rob

Post #6136231st May 2006 10:27 pm
PIP

England 

Supermarket = .979
B.P. Ultimate = 1.015

I must addmit that the engine does sound a lot quieter/smoother. Less of the diesel rattle with BP. Bearing in mind I have 2 less cylinders than you guys.
 Tetbury,
Where antique dealers breed like rabbits.
D3 one day soon. 

Post #6137331st May 2006 11:04 pm
blue meanie
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I've tried the USABP ultimate on several occasions and I can realate no real world difference in mpg or perf so in my ops it's just a marketing ploy. but this doesn't mean that maybe in different vehicles it might add to these maybe?
 and theeeeennn......???  
Post #6137731st May 2006 11:11 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
d3matt

Ocsid wrote:
Over the 10262 miles its retured 21.97 mpg,
Towing accounts for 4144 miles with associated 19.53mpg.
This gives a solo return of 24.07mpg.

Can you be more precise next time? Wink
 Matt  
Post #615792nd Jun 2006 12:24 am
SuperMan

I use BP Ultimate have done since the first day of ownership in any of our cars whether it's a diesel or a petrol car.

well worth the extra ppl.

Post #6448417th Jun 2006 10:13 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >