Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Brake Judder\Vibration loud bang and lots of shrapnel.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
corkish

Brake Judder\Vibration loud bang and lots of shrapnel.

Hi all,

not been here for a while as my replacement D3(Oct 2006 TDV6 SE) has been relatively reliable. Mad Other than the usual suspension, park sensor, gear selector, engine management, wheel tracking, parking brake and stereo faults! (The first one was returned due to numerous faults that could not be repaired, this one appears to be going the same way)

However I had a rather nasty surprise recently and wondered if anyone else has experienced this,

Initially manifested itself as a rythmic vibration whiilst on the motorway at a steady 70/75mph. At first I thought a tyre had started to go and pulled of at the earliest opportunity. Checked tyres\wheel nuts etc and all appeared well. The brake pads looked a bit low but not critical and no warning lights illuminated.

Two weeks later while taking a downhill left hand bend at about 50mph there was a massive bang from underneath. The vehicle slewed left and right, briefly locked up a rear wheel accompanied by the sound of what I can only describe as an explosion from under the car. This included lots of bits bouncing of the bottom of the vehicle and metallic bits bouncing of the road. After a change of underwear the vehicle was delivered to the dealer for investigation & rectification.

After speaking with the mechanic it would appear the electronic parking brake had disintegrated and exited the vehicle in kit form.

For info my vehicle has been to the dealer numerous times to have the parking brake checked after the warning light has illuminated. I can also say with absolute certainty that I did not or have not applied the parking brake whilst the vehicle has been moving.

I have spoken to Land Rover to appraise them of the situation as this was not a pleasant experience. I also consider myself lucky not to have my young child on board.

If you get a vibration like this my advice would be to get it checked sooner rather than later. A D3 is a handful when it tries to let go.

Chris

Post #16001921st May 2007 9:10 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Chris, I see your back with more issues... sorry to see that.

From memory I don't think any of our 2,500 members have seen this exploding EPB before.

Please report back from the dealer what the cause was for this.

Post #16002721st May 2007 9:17 pm
corkish

Hi Simon,

they gave the impression that they did not want to share with me exactly what had failed. The mechanic summed it up as, 'the epb has come apart, the components have been thrown around and wrecked the entire mechanism. The shrapnel was the bits leaving the vehicle '.

I have a case with Land Rover, I will try and find out what exactly failed.

This was not a pleasant experience which is why I am raising it here, it may stop someone else experiencing it.

regards

Chris

Post #16004321st May 2007 9:30 pm
simon

They have to share with you what failed and why.

Post #16006221st May 2007 9:40 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Why do they? Confused as long as it's repaired under warranty as far as i'm aware there is no obligation to provide an explanation of what failed and why.....

Post #16006421st May 2007 9:43 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simon

Surely as the product belongs to you... you have the right to know what went wrong (so you can avoid re-occurence) and due to the nature of the fault and its possible ramifications, you have an even greater right to know.

The excuse of, well it broke and now its fixed would not be enough.

A bit like the steering failure mentioned elsewhere.

If for one would want to know so I could be sure its been corrected and won't happen again.

Post #16007121st May 2007 9:49 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Corkish ..FYI the EPB is designed to be used in an emergency whilst the vehicle is travelling at any speed. It stops the vehicle with the aid of all braking systems. Whilst I would not recommend this as an everyday action I have used it on about half adozen occasions without incident.

Don't let them fob you off ..and please keep us up to date Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #16007221st May 2007 9:49 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Yes, please keep us informed on this one. As someone who has had a fair share of epb problems, this sounds like one I really don't want to have.

Post #16010921st May 2007 10:30 pm
WOODY179

United Kingdom 

Gareth wrote:
this sounds like one I really don't want to have.

Shocked me too Exclamation
 1996 Discovery 1 300TDI ES Biarritz Blue, sold
1999 Discovery 2 TD5 ES Rioja Red, sold
2002 Discovery 2 TD5 ES Buckingham Blue, sold
2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Adriatic Blue, sold
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Zambezi Silver, sold
2011 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE Nara Bronze, sold
2016 Volvo XC60 D5 AWD Lux Nav Twilight Bronze, sold
2020 Range Rover Evoque P250 First Edition, Nolita grey, sold
2023 Range Rover Evoque P300e Autobiography, Carpathian grey 

Post #16011621st May 2007 10:39 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
zig

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Corkish from the sound of things you are not the first to have this problem.

Approximately 18 months ago when starting off at traffic lights there was resistance to moving forward, followed by a large bang and the vehicle then moving forward as if nothing had happened. Approximately 3 miles further on, while travelling at approximately 35 MPH one of the rear wheels locked up and the vehicle skidded to a halt next to the curb. Putting the park brake on and off did not unlock the wheel. Eventually I managed to unlock the wheel by putting the vehicle into reverse and drove the remaining 1/2 mile home. On testing the vehicle in a local street I once again had the wheel lock up this time at 25 MPH. The effect was like doing an emergency stop on 1 wheel. Reversing once again cleared the problem and I drove home. The vehicle was clearly not safe and I insisted that the problem was sorted before I drove it again.

I was advised that when the park brake was disassembled it was discovered that part of the brake material had come away from the shoe and was jamming between the drum and the shoe.

If the fault had occured at 70 MPH in wet conditions I probably would have had a major accident.

Post #16014821st May 2007 11:26 pm
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Just had the exact same issue and I thought my car was jumping out of gear, it turns out that the parking brake shoes are disintegrating and then the clips that hold the shoes to the back plate come off and this is what starts to catch on the rear wheel hub, this is what is banging.

It was going up the motorway last month and had the first signs of it and also thought that I had a flat on my caravan.
I also had the shudder at 65/70. but did not have the banging until last week. I got LA out and he took the rear drivers side brake disc off and all the bits fell out, the disc was badly scored and the shoe's had gone right to the metal.

He told me that this is a common fault at the moment. My dealer has replace with new disc's and shoes and all seems fine.

I have also noticed that on my way home my fuel consumption is better at a steady 70 on the motorway av fuel 30.4, I have never seen this figure before at this speed on the motorway.

I would say if you have sqeaky brakes on the back get it looked at.

flack .. Confused

Post #16035622nd May 2007 5:24 pm
Stephen

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I haven't had this fault but I had to take my Disco3 into the dealer (Guy Salmon, Thames Ditton) with a severe sqeak and a tendency to bind on the right hand rear wheel. They told me that it was the EPB binding and that redesigned brake shoes had been produced (which is why I mention it on this thread) which were installed under warranty. Perhaps the redesigned shoes were prompted by incidents such as the ones described in this thread?

Post #16037322nd May 2007 5:39 pm
DirtyDisco

2012 Discovery 4 TDV6 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

Could you describe the rythmic vibration.

Last night I was towing a very light boat and trailer and I too could feel a vibration through the wheel. It came and went in a 1-2 second cycle. The top of the steering wheel could be seen to vibrate (quite a high frequency)then perfectly normal then vibrate again. I have towed the same trailer many times behind other vehicles without any odd feeling. However I have done 300 miles today without it and have felt nothing.

Cheers.
 Serial Depreciation Victim

07 D3 TDV6 HSE. Side Steps. Privacy. TV. Stornoway + Alpaca. 

Post #16039822nd May 2007 6:01 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >