Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Brake pedal goes all the way to the floor (!)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Tell DOTARS after you have had it done. That way they will know that they are failing outside VIN range and LR know about it.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #65228523rd May 2010 10:17 pm
John Fair

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I'm now wondering if i have a problem as my brake pedal sinks to the floor "slowly" with the engine running but not with it turned off. I dont drive the car often as Tracey uses it mostly but the poor brakes were brought to my attention by a family member that borrowed the car and commented on the poor brakes. The servo pipe recall was done a while back and i do feel the brakes are lacking somewhat but would like to know if anyone elses brake pedal sinks?

Post #65293825th May 2010 6:31 pm
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I have never experienced the brake pedal sinking, but have for a while felt that I needed to push harder on the pedal to get the sodding thing to stop ( a very gradual diminishing of braking effectiveness over a long period ),so it didn't really stand out and take me by surprise, UNTIL I needed to stop in a hurry, that is Shocked. I had seen traces of oil in the vac pipe, but had been told by a dealer that mine was not in the VIN range, and that they didn't think my vehicle had a problem. I had my doubts, and the other day decided to take the master cylinder off and have a look for myself. Well they were WRONG..........(no surprise there Whistle ), there WAS oil in the bottom of the servo, not loads, but about 3/8" deep, (car has only done 34K though), enough for me to get a new servo and the modded vac piping / check valves from TLO and fit the damn things myself. I couldn't see any evidence of engine oil at the master cylinder though, so I have not changed that at this point, but I bled totally new fluid into the system and so far, I feel the brakes are back to how they should be. A close call though, Land Rover are being bl**dy stupid over this,the issue affects a lot more vehicles than published, they need to wake up, before someone gets killed / maimed. Evil or Very Mad ......... PS, John, I don't believe the pedal should sink, and deffo not to the floor Shocked ,(although I have heard others complain of this), as suggested earlier in this thread, you may have a problem with air in the system, or the master cylinder seals. Rolling Eyes

Post #65296325th May 2010 7:33 pm
John Fair

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Ok thanks for the reply. I shall chase it asap but I'm moving house tomorrow so it shall have to hang on a wee bit. I'm quite mechanically inclined and just wanted to check others before I persue the matter along with the actuator noise on handbrake .......release. Now that makes a change as it's usually on application!

Post #65301525th May 2010 9:25 pm
caverD3

DN
Tell VOSA your story, LR are not going to do anything unless they are forced to or someone is killed. Twisted Evil
LR Aus know about failures on vehicles outside the VIN as they are paying up on the mods.
I would write to LR and inform them of your experience and let them know that you know of others with the issue outside the VIN, it is then in writing.
The first time they replaced mine they replaced the master cylindere as well, the oil can affect the seals. The next time they just did the mod as there was no oil in the servo, but they charged to to extended warranty. Evil or Very Mad
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #65315426th May 2010 1:26 am
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

caverD3, VOSA informed of my experiences Thumbs Up ....... in the vain hope of preventing future personal injury / death......No reply as yet. Whistle

Post #65340626th May 2010 4:53 pm
J

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Will be informing VOSA of my experience when I eventually get D3 back from stealers - recall work done, but failed to spot oil in servo ("wasn't there when we did the recall work..." Whistle ) so resulted in rather scary moment of very little braking ability and near miss with a BMW. They then refused to cover the cost of new servo (not that is really VOSA's concern) and had to get LR customer service to intervene.

Post #65346126th May 2010 6:32 pm
Bill Wright

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Kaikoura StoneDiscovery 4

John Fair wrote:
I'm now wondering if i have a problem as my brake pedal sinks to the floor "slowly" with the engine running but not with it turned off. I dont drive the car often as Tracey uses it mostly but the poor brakes were brought to my attention by a family member that borrowed the car and commented on the poor brakes. The servo pipe recall was done a while back and i do feel the brakes are lacking somewhat but would like to know if anyone elses brake pedal sinks?

I have a D4 and this happens with mine. I've posted on here and was assured that it should not happen. I've been to the dealer's twice and was told that it was normal. I've had two loan D4's and a loan RRS this year and all exhibit the same characteristic of the brake pedal sinking slowly to the floor with the engine running and rock solid when engine not running. It is not a confidence builder!

Bill Wright
 Never take life too seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

D4 SDV6 SE Tech Kaikoura Stone MY15. 

Post #65347226th May 2010 7:10 pm
crwoody

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I too noticed that if you keep the pedal pressed hard while stationary and with the engine running, the pedal appears to sink a little over a short time, It didn't do this before the servo was replaced, I suspect that this was because the servo was faulty/inefficient due to the oil ingress, I noticed this before with my previous D3 also.

It's worth considering though that the amount of pressure and time needed to "sink" the pedal like this is far in excess of what you would apply in normal driving so it may be a bit of a red herring really.
 Clive

Post #65410328th May 2010 9:06 am
discoteca

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I don't have any braking issues as yet Shocked but I checked the vac pipe yesterday and there is deffo evidence of oil in the pipe. Not much, but enough. There is also some evidence in the fluid resevoir of a tiny bit of oil in there as well. Mine was outside of the VIN range for the recall so no preventative work done.

So here's the conundrum. On a D3 that is miles outside LR warranty, falls outside of the VIN range for the recall but shows evidence of the problem what is one to do?

I have a warranty direct warranty but almost certain they won't want to know until something actually fails.

So it seems that you either wait for a near death experience when the brakes fail eventually (not good) or shell out your own cash to fix in advance, neither of which options are particularly appealing!

Post #6557742nd Jun 2010 12:33 pm
caverD3

Tell VOSA then then tell LR. I think you will find they will pay if you are persistant.
The more reports there are to VOSA the more likely they are to force a recall.
Anyone know any journos. Whistle
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #6557772nd Jun 2010 12:38 pm
camelrock

England 

I have noticed the brakes not being so good of late so after reading this thread checked the servo pipe and sure enough traces of oil. Like discoteca above my car is out of warranty and is also outside the vin range Crying or Very sad

P.S. where do I find this VOSA form, had a quick look on the VOSA site but couldn't see anything..

Post #6577347th Jun 2010 10:37 pm
zarnd

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

With the engine running and your foot on the brake pedal, it will slowly sink to the floor. This is normal, and moreso on a diesel due to the vacuum pump constantly sucking when comparing it to a petrol car.

cheers
 Alex

2007 D3 TDV6 HSE
2009 Caterham Supersport
2005 FFRR Vogue SE 4.2 Supercharged
2004 SL55 AMG 

Post #6581268th Jun 2010 5:57 pm
Renton

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

LR dealer notified me that LR is not going to pay for the repair on my brakes! What to do now since I am in Holland and Vosa is British?
 CLUB ILLEGAL CAR WASHERS  
Post #65899410th Jun 2010 4:31 pm
zarnd

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

How old is your D3 then? If you are in Holland, I presume you only had two years manufacturers warranty on the car from new. Have you spoken to Land Rover Customer Care or got the dealer to do it on your behalf? What is wrong with your brakes?

Has anyone who has had the recall work carried out had the same thing happen again?

cheers
 Alex

2007 D3 TDV6 HSE
2009 Caterham Supersport
2005 FFRR Vogue SE 4.2 Supercharged
2004 SL55 AMG 

Post #65900610th Jun 2010 5:11 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >