Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Brake pipes corroded
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
bellx4

United Kingdom 
Brake pipes corroded

MOT fail for corroded pipes. Apparently the full fix involves body off (really - seems extreme!?). Local garage has suggesting brazing on replacements - is this OK?

Post #197428415th Aug 2018 5:33 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Extreme indeed! Can you provide any pics? Normally its possible to cut the corroded section out and join a new length.
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #197428615th Aug 2018 5:36 pm
pjm-84

Ukraine 

Replace and joint under the heat shield by the centre exhaust box seems to be the choice fix. I found it a PITA. (Lot easier with a car hoist)

Pipes are protected from there up to the engine bay.

Post #197430015th Aug 2018 6:15 pm
Discomadness

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

They are a nightmare to get at body on. I was going to cut and join mine half way with the body off but my flaring tool wouldn’t flare the original steel pipes so I changed the lot.

Jarrod

Current : D3 2007 HSE - AKA the lemon
-beanie grille
-detango with led bulbs
-club body off rebuild. TWICE. 

Post #197430715th Aug 2018 6:25 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Can be done with body on, join halfway under the heat shield, also you need to look for a new garage as they sound like real cowboys..

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #197431015th Aug 2018 6:43 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Biffysun

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Shocked Local garage has suggesting brazing on replacements - is this OK? Thud

Listen to Flack above Thumbs Up

Post #197440315th Aug 2018 10:51 pm
L319

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I believe brazing is not permitted , only proper flared unions.

Post #197441015th Aug 2018 11:11 pm
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

brazing no no proper fittings available

Post #197442416th Aug 2018 12:01 am
bellx4

United Kingdom 

Really grateful for all the replies on this.

Still can’t quite believe though that the full repair would involve body removal from chassis!

Post #197445116th Aug 2018 7:42 am
Nasher

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

I had this as an MOT fail a few years back.

As has been mentioned the work around is to cut the pipe in a good bit under the heat shield and join a new bit in from there back.

Please do take note of the post by Discomadness regarding the pipe flaring tool as the D3 uses Steel pipes, which is why they corrode.
I decided I didn't want to do the job myself like I normally would because of work commitments, so found a local well respected garage that was prepared to do the cutting and joining. A lot won't of course because it's more involved than changing a standard part.

I had a phone call to say they'd made the new pipes, and cut the old ones, but their pipe flaring tool was just not man enough to flare the original LR steel pipe at the join.
They wanted to buy a new tool, which would take 2 days to arrive, and charge me 25% of the cost of it.

I was a bit stuck obviously because the car was immobile at that stage.
I managed to borrow a tool from the garage who do my MOT's, and had failed the D3, letting them think I was doing the job myself, and lent it to the other garage for an hour whilst I watched.

Annoyingly I ended up taking some time off work to do the running around etc and could have done it myself in the same time had I borrowed the flaring tool in the first place.

Nasher
 Heaven doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over. 

Last edited by Nasher on 16th Aug 2018 8:33 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #197445216th Aug 2018 7:43 am
Discomadness

I bought the rear sections from landrover through Bearmach. The new sections are aluminium as opposed to steel. I ended up making new sections all the way to the front in copper as I was on a time crunch.
Be aware the brake bleeding after can be a total pain. I used 10 or more litres of brake fluid and the iid tool to bleed them and they were still crap. 200 miles of driving and they are much better. My guess is air was trapped in the abs valve and has now moved. I’ll re bleed and hopefully it’s sorted
 Jarrod

-beanie grille
-detango with led bulbs

Post #197446016th Aug 2018 8:31 am
highlands

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I replaced the whole rear brake pipe run on my last 2 D3s using a £40 tool that JUST does 3/16 pipe and it wasn't too bad a job.
The flares on the steel pipes looked good, and have worked fine.
I did buy exhaust clamp pliers as taking them off to drop the exhaust a bit was the worst part of the job first time round.
Second time of doing it took me about 90 minutes, both times on a gravel drive in extended mode with axle stands.
 Black 05 TDV6 HSE Auto
Grey 05 TDV6 HSE Auto (Gone)
54 TDV6 SE Man (killed by me Sad

Post #197446216th Aug 2018 8:46 am
Bungle

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I think the official LR method is body off, remember it may seem extreme but it was designed to come off for a number of jobs, which is fine when it is new, but a Censored once things corrode and wiring harnesses get brittle.....

As others have said, it can be done without removing the body by putting a joint in the middle and fitting it in two pieces rather than one. Rather than try and join onto the steel pipe, the garage I used changed the entire run over to copper which won't corrode. Took about a day to do and will never need to worry about doing it again. One may ask why LR made them out of steel then hid them away in a place where they would rot in the first place.....

As for brazing, find another garage! That's 3t of Solihull steel you are trying to stop, do the job properly!

Post #197451416th Aug 2018 11:08 am
Discomadness

Shocked I’d love to know how they got them up the back of the bulkhead behind the engine. The pipes have quite a lot of bends in that area and then join to a H shaped block connector.

To be honest there’s a lot of big talk about taking a body off one of these. There’s not much to it ! It’s getting all the plastic trims off that takes most of the time. Obviously you need a 2 post lift... the place I took mine to for air con was saying they’ve had a few in for jobs that need “the body off” (lightning, crash of thunder, women and children running screaming, dun dun der music etc) when I talked him through it he’s was really sceptical that I was talking out my Censored and thought witchcraft was involved. He also didn’t believe I had a 2 post lift at home until I showed him the pics on my phone.

I guess the point I’m making is a lot of places charge a lot to take the body off or shy away altogether out of fear or whatever. That adds to the smoke and Mirrors stigma of it.
 Jarrod

-beanie grille
-detango with led bulbs

Post #197451616th Aug 2018 11:17 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >