DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Brake Vacuum Pump Recal P017
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
discoBizz

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Brake Vacuum Pump Recal P017

Hi all,

was in the vin range for this one having received the letter in the post (and the HP Fuel pump, but still waiting on parts where I am Rolling Eyes ) and was lucky enough to have a clean system Very Happy

From the TSB it appears the only work required was to replace a couple of washers, springs, connectors etc and replace the vacuum line with the upgraded one, using both outlets (original uses only one apparently).

Just want to confirm with others that have had the work done that this is how it's supposed to look:
Click image to enlarge

The previous line was going directly from the servo (behind the engine cover in the pic) to the second battery compartment where the break master cylinder is. Having all that showing with the new part doesn't quite look right... Confused

Is this how it's supposed to be?

Thanks Thumbs Up

Post #60066010th Feb 2010 10:45 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Yep - that's exactly what the new vacuum tube looks like - a bit weird and looks like an afterthought, but it seems to work well.
Thumbs Up
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #60066510th Feb 2010 10:57 am
discoBizz

Cheers Paul, glad to see I'm not the only one thinking it didn't quite look right Thumbs Up

Post #60066610th Feb 2010 11:00 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
evo8

Slovakia 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 S Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

just had it installed on Monday - looks the same Smile
 2013 D4 TDV6 S; Baltic Blue; IID Tool BT
2007 D3 TDV6 SE, Auto; club Faultmate MSV2 

Post #60067510th Feb 2010 11:10 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Sorry what did you say evo8? Laughing

That's what they look like and if the oil hasn't reached the booster all they do is put in those lines with one way valve and areturn line to the crankcase.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #60067810th Feb 2010 11:26 am
tanters

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

If one was outside of the vin range Whistle but showing oil in the line, is this a difficult and expensive thing to do yourself?
 A happy childhood ... is the worst possible preparation for life.  
Post #60067910th Feb 2010 11:31 am
discoBizz

Reading the TSB, if oil is present the work is a lot more involving than just this... was in the garage when they did mine though, took all of 20 mins to do... You would also need a vacuum/pressure gauge to check functionality...

Post #60068610th Feb 2010 11:43 am
caverD3

It should be a recall. Probably be easy to DIY but why should you. Ask the dealer to do it as it is a safety issue. If they won't, tell VOSA or whoever they are over there. Idea
Dealer charged mine to the extended warranty but if I didn't have one I would have made some noise.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #60068910th Feb 2010 11:46 am
tanters

Cheers Biz, I was afraid you'd say that Wink
Post #60069010th Feb 2010 11:47 am
caverD3

Biz wrote:
Reading the TSB, if oil is present the work is a lot more involving than just this... was in the garage when they did mine though, took all of 20 mins to do... You would also need a vacuum/pressure gauge to check functionality...

Depends where the oil is found. If no oil in the actual booster then just the line. Depending on the amount of oil found in the booster there are different fixes.
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #60069510th Feb 2010 11:49 am
caverD3

Tanters,

Your instructions: Wink

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use...0whole.pdf

Think you can manage it?
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #60069810th Feb 2010 11:53 am
discoBizz

I agree with caver though, you should make some noise and have the dealer fix it for free. I think the choice of VIN range is quasi guesswork in the sense that I wouldn't expect LR to have a complete record of which pumps went in which cars - evidence to this is that reading around on the site, it seems you are not the only one outside the VIN range to have the symptoms.

Take it with VOSA if needed, I would imagine logic would prevail Shocked Laughing

Like caver says, depends where the oil is, however in most cases still most involving than 20 mins and 3 replacement parts Wink

Here's the TSB if you need it:

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use...K%2520.pdf

(edit: another slow typing day for me today Laughing )

Post #60070110th Feb 2010 11:55 am
tanters

Thanks Lads Thumbs Up but there is an awful lot of little yellow triangles on that TSB Shocked

I think due to lack of pressure gauge to check my handy work I may just go down on my knees and beg. Maybe a direct call to LR mightn't hurt - relationship with local stealer not fantastic Whistle
Post #60071110th Feb 2010 12:15 pm
discoBizz

Good luck Thumbs Up

Post #60071910th Feb 2010 12:27 pm
evo8

Slovakia 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 S Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

evo8 wrote:
just had it installed on Monday - looks the same Smile

sorry for being unclear: edited: I just had the recall work done by dealer on Monday - looks the same as yours. I have been checking for oil before - no oil was in the pipes so assuming they just replaced with these modified piping and no other parts.

Additionally I also found their forgotted LED torch in the engine bay Shocked
 2013 D4 TDV6 S; Baltic Blue; IID Tool BT
2007 D3 TDV6 SE, Auto; club Faultmate MSV2 

Post #60084710th Feb 2010 3:15 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >