Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

brief noise under load during acceleration - !!!update!!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
sacimiddx

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4
Update - bigwigs from technical @ solihull to check my D4

Visit to dealers and established with them that there was the noise as described

They looked at vehicle and reported 'metal bits' found in front diff
Said they would submit claim for new diff and let me know when it could be done

Then..... phone call from dealer saying could I get it to them for monday as bigwigs from technical @ solihull are coming down (to Southampton) to look at vehicle
Not to verify claim but because there had been 'issues'

and so it goes on -I will update again when I know more
 Illegitimi Non Carborundum  
Post #75033621st Jan 2011 4:22 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Not good that they are still having problems with front diffs. Sad
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #75054721st Jan 2011 10:00 pm
sacimiddx

agreed - had one replaced on my old D3

I'm now gonna meet with the techies from Solihull - so I'll pump 'em for info and post it
Post #75068122nd Jan 2011 10:18 am
sacimiddx

not diff according to experts - small abount of metal normal in new vehicle

noise also gone - maybe I'm hearing things
Post #7560473rd Feb 2011 1:42 pm
Ozzy Disco4

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

Hi sacimiddx,

I've been trolling the net trying to find someone else who has the same symptoms and finally found your thread!!

My Discovery 4 goes in in two days for EXACTLY what you have described.

Can you please tell me if the only thing they did was change the oil in the front diff or is there something else I should be telling them? Bow down

I'd really appreciate a response.

By the way this is a pretty cool Forum!

Post #76518222nd Feb 2011 6:19 am
Ozzy Disco4

Well the Disco should be ready today, they've fitted a new front diff....

Not bad for two weeks ownership Shocked

I new there may be things like this happen as I've owned a Discovery previously.

Cant wait to get the beast back Very Happy

Post #76671725th Feb 2011 12:03 am
TJ1010

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hi Guys.

I have been chasing this same issue for some 18 months in TD disc3. I have read all of these threads with interest. My dealer has basically put this in a too hard basket. Having spent some 8 years in the automotive industry at a large dealership in Aust a multi franchise I strongly believe that it is not a standard characteristic of the vehicle not is it as a result of th way a driver drives. The noise that i clearly have is a drone. It seems to occur when the transmission goes into tcc lock up. It creates a vibration that can be felt through the steering and accellerator pedal. My vehicle has some 54 000km and the nosie is becoming worse. It is easy tohear and feel at 65 to 70 km under light load on slight gradient. I can also reproduce the same vibration but the noise is not as auditable at the 1500rpm on the highway. I have driven another Disco 3 over the same road surfaces with higher milage than mine with nil noise. There is a definate issue here either exhaust, transmission Or heat shield related. My last conversation with my dealer is that the car is to stay at the dealership until rectified. Will keep you posted but tey just dont sem interested in locating a hard to fix problem but are happy to take your money or a service.

Post #78545113th Apr 2011 7:57 am
caverD3

OEM Wranglers can get noisey when worn?
Wheel bearing?
Diff failing?
Front driveshaft?
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #78548213th Apr 2011 9:41 am
crwoody

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Really need to establish if the noise is road speed or engine speed related, if it only occurs (like mine) at a specific engine rpm regardless of what gear you're in, then that lets out all the drive-train parts from the suspects line-up.
 Clive

Post #78548913th Apr 2011 10:05 am
tlt

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3

Well, One of the symptoms reported when it is the diff is the fact that the noise is worse, or changes when making sweeping turns. This is due to the fact that the wheels are turning at different speeds. That is something worth paying attention to, and see if it is noticed. I can speak with some authority as to the exact reason for the failures, and then the remedy.

I had my LR3/DIII serviced at the dealer from day one, exactly by the book to manufacturer specs. I had my Differential fluid changed at 75k, at that time, they advised me I needed a new differential rebuilt and quoted some price of 4-5k with labor.

I didn't have it replaced at that time, instead I started investigating if I could get the parts, etc. and what or who else might be able to do it. During this investigation I discovered that the parts were not available at the dealer, or anywhere else. I revisited the dealer on the subject, and discovered they were swapping the unit, not repairing it. No mention, just the usual dumb look, when I asked if there was a core swap, surcharge, etc. I then specifically asked if they could get the bearings and parts, and they claimed it couldn't be done. I asked them to give me the numbers on the bearings they claimed they had, and couldn't cross reference, no reply.

After lengthy investigation I found the bearings, and Ring & Pinion. After getting the parts in, and the additional bits needed, I located an Indy shop with good experience rebuilding differentials. So finally, I got it on the rack, and they pulled off the differential, and drained the fluid, etc. At 90k, just 15k after the fluid change, the fluid was milky and contaminated with water. Now, considering we live and a dry climate, and I have not forded any water (one time since I owned the vehicle) I don't understand how/why the diff oil is contaminated in such a short time. The conclusions that I can come to are that, either there is a design defect causing moisture to accumulate rapidly and not escape, or that the dealer did not actually change the fluids, as they claimed and charged me for. Now, you could argue that the damage was done from 0-75k miles, but that does not explain the water from 75-90k.

Now the lessons that can be taken from this based on talking with the Indy shop, is that water, and the resulting rust did the damage. So, I would have to say, it might be well advised to change your Differential Fluid every other oil change, or say every 14-20k miles. I don't currently have a warranty, but even if you do have a warranty, who wants to deal with getting repairs done, not having your vehicle, and all the other associated hassles. LR should change this fluid under warranty at least every other oil change, but if they will not, I would suggest you do it yourself, or pay the extra money to have it done.

Finally, the proof, I have several detailed photos, the only ones I know of, of the diff torn apart, and showing the rust and damage. The photo attached is the locking mechanism side of the assemble internals. The Indy shop, said in general it is a very slick designed differential, and well made, aside from the water. So, the only preventative before damage, is to change your Diff Oil's at least every other oil change in my opinion. After the damage, the only solution is to rebuild it, and then change every other oil change again. It could be said, that by doing every other, and monitoring the quality of fluids when drained, it might be possible to increase the frequency. And any time you operate in water, and extreme wet conditions, it might be well advised to drain and refill them.

If you want to locate parts, or to see the images PM me with e-mail address and I will send them.

Transfer Case: Royal Purple Synchromax (part #01512, quart bottle) or Royal Purple Max ATF (part #01320, quart bottle); 1.6 quarts

Differentials: Royal Purple Max Gear 75W-90 (part #01300, quart bottle); 0.65 quart for the front and 1.6 quarts for the rear (locker)

Last edited by tlt on 18th Feb 2014 10:05 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #78566813th Apr 2011 6:58 pm
Ozzy Disco4

If you look at my previous posts, you can see that I have the same problem. My Disco 4 had the front Diff replaced initially (2000km's) but that wasn't the problem, and back she went for over two weeks.

After this time a brand new Disco 4 was brought over to my place to compare and surely enough it also made this noise. I can tell you that the noise appears at 1800 - 2000rpm and is usually on an incline and yes it seems to be more prevalent when turning corners (more left than right hand). It also seems to get less after the car is warm.

As my front diff was replaced, I tend to think this isn't the problem unless I was really unlucky and got two faulty diffs (or that they said they changed it and didn't). Interesting that TLT says this about the water as I was driving in seriously bad weather for hours on the expressway in torrential rain and it was only after this that I noticed the noise. The diff was supposedly replaced after this event though and the noise is still there..

I'm told the change from the small turbo to the larger one occurs at 2300RPM's so I don't think this is the issue either. When revved in park past the 1800 -2000 RPM the noise isn't there so I don't think its an engine or turbo issue. Also as it appears to be in the LR3 and LR4 and they have different engine / Turbo configurations.

The noise / whine appears to come from the RHS (drivers side) but occasionally it can be heard on the LHS. I had a look at the exhaust under the car whilst it was on and when revved it moves around a hell of a lot.

Apart from this very annoying noise / vibration, I still really love this car. I just wish I could get this sorted even though other vehicles have the same symptoms.

TJ1010, Please let me know how you go at the dealer, I see that you're in Tassie so if you'd like me to give you a call to discuss further, happy to do so!!

Post #78577713th Apr 2011 10:42 pm
TJ1010

Howdy Ozzy Disco4

Happy for you to contact me to discuss when you can... email is tjmobile1010@gmail.com. Will provide you with contact number after that. I have also raised the issue with LR Australi. My noise is not on either side of the vehicle.

Cheers

TJ1010

Post #78577814th Apr 2011 12:11 am
caverD3

If only engine speed related try the idle pulley or the ac unit. Idea
Switch AC off and see if the noise changes.
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #78578114th Apr 2011 12:50 am
TJ1010

Thanks for the idea.. Have tried with no A/C.. still there. Is a heavy drone noise with a vibration felt through the vehicle. Have had on hoist re adjusted and tensioned heat shields .... When you have it doing the noise you can control it by increasing or reducing RPM.

Post #78578214th Apr 2011 12:54 am
Ozzy Disco4

caverd3, tried that, the noise is there with or without the A/C on...

crwoody, the noise vibration is always there at 1800 - 2000 rpm and can happen on take off or at speed. It is definitely more noticeable on an incline.

TJ1010 I've emailed you my details.

Cheers.

Post #78578414th Apr 2011 1:15 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >