Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Brighter Headlamp Bulbs
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Hoops

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Brighter Headlamp Bulbs

Not having any kind of Xenon/Bi Xenon headlamps I was considering changing out my headlamp bulbs for brighter after market ones.

I had done this on my ML and it made a big difference.

Has anyone done so what make. Osram and Halfruads seem to have a range (not sure if they are compatible though)

Your thoughts worthwhile or not......

Post #10172714th Nov 2006 5:51 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

http://www.piaa.co.uk/

These are best in my experience, very expensive but worth it. I've used the Platinum series, massive improvement.

Post #10173014th Nov 2006 6:01 pm
Hoops

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Thanks LT, clearly I'm not too clued up can you tell me are the main and dipped beams different bulbs or one bulb with two fillaments. The reason i ask is a mix of stupidity and the bulbs have the same code (H7)

Post #10174114th Nov 2006 6:21 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Have to "pass" on that one I have the all singing & dancing (yes really) xenons on my D3. I've fitted the PIAA's to older Saabs & HSV's.
Someone will be along soon to help out, I'm sure.

Post #10174414th Nov 2006 6:27 pm
Chris200100

Wales 

the main beam and the dipped headlights are diffrent bulbs, Check your hand book for the right type of bulbs.

Post #10174714th Nov 2006 6:30 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

At £36 upwards a bulb, ouch! Shocked

Post #10180414th Nov 2006 7:58 pm
drivesafe

Australia 

Ho Hoops, your Low beam, High beam and Fog lights are all H7 type globes.

My D3 has Xenons but I have the first of the MkIII Range Rovers and they came with H7 globes.

When I first bought the RR, I was doing about 6,000kms a month of which at least a third of that was night driving and I kept blowing the ordinary globes. I tried a number of different globes, including 50+ types, but none gave any better light than the originals.

A customer of mine has an auto spare parts store and he gave me two Philips Crystal Vision globes to try in the low beam.

Fitted them and took the RR for a run that night and the next day I went back and not only replaced the high beam globes but I also replaced all ( 6 ) of my 130w H3 driving light globes.

The Philips Crystal Vision globes are current rated at 55w but are light rated to the equivalent of 110w globes.

These globes are NOT as bright as the 130w globes but what makes them MUCH better is that they give out very WHITE light and this white light is what makes the difference.

For example, when driving out west at night, roos ( Kangaroos ) are a major problem, especially as the bigger mothers can be over 6 foot tall, so you DON'T want to fit them. The added problem with any roos is that they are as dumb as they come and if they are in long grass beside the road and get disturbed by your approach, they usually run in the direction they are facing which is always straight in front of you or into the side of your vehicle.

With ordinary globes, no matter how bright they are, the light is yellow and this light paints everything yellow. So as you drive along you get a yellow roo standing in the yellow grass beside the yellow road ( bit exaggerated, for effect ) so you still don’t get to make them out until you are fairly close.

With WHITE light, as you drive along, you see a brown roo standing in the green grass beside the black tarred road and so you can make out the roo a lot further away.

Anyway here’s a couple of night pics where I used the driving lights to light up a ship wreck on Fraser Is. They give you some idea of how white the light is.

2008 TDV8 RR Lux + 2009 D4 2.7  
Post #10184814th Nov 2006 9:14 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >