DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Britpart, OEM, Genuine opinions!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Jack Rawly

United Kingdom 
Britpart, OEM, Genuine opinions!

Evening All,

Many moons ago when I first got into land rovers I was put off massively by fellow owners saying Britpart quality was quite bad and should avoid at all costs. therefore always been advised to insist on genuine or at the very least OEM.

Over the years and thanks to my job as a fitter, I've gone away from genuine with the mind frame that for the sake of a 'land rover' stamp on the box, its still a quality product being fitted if it is to OEM Spec or made from a reputable manufacturer.

Recently however, I know of more and more people going to Britpart and praising there products. they also seem to be growing bigger and bigger offering more parts and solutions to common problems and surely if they where that bad, would have gone bust years ago.

So my question is, what would you go for and why? is my view of Britpart outdated and unjust?

Cheers,
Jack Thumbs Up

Post #225398228th Sep 2021 11:59 am
nigethecat

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

A lot of it depends on which parts you want to fit... for brakes as an example there is lots of choice and some manufactures make (IMHO) better products than LR or OEM... other things like a lower steering column then only fit genuine LR as it's the only one that works properly...

With trim parts or non service items then I only fit LR, others will think differently. Some Britpart stuff is ok... other bits I simply wouldn't fit to a Disco...
 I want to see the sweets before I get into your windowless van... I'm not stupid!

Corris Grey D4 Commercial SE 2016
Zermatt Sliver 2007 D3 SE manual (gone)
Indus Silver D4 HSE 2015 (gone)
Bonatti Grey D3 HSE 2006 (gone)
White D3 S (LHD) 2007 (gone)
Firenze Red D4 HSE 2014 (gone)
Black RRS 3.6TDV8 2008 (gone)
Rusty Green Defender 110 1997 (gone)
Black FL2 HSE 2013 (gone) 

Post #225398528th Sep 2021 12:07 pm
Kelvo

Australia 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Britpart are a supplier. They can supply cheap and nasty pattern parts, OEM parts, and even genuine LR parts. Some online retailers are better than others at actually advertising what quality the part is.

The same applies to Allmakes and Bearmach as well.
 MY14 TDV6  
Post #225399128th Sep 2021 12:50 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

In most cases, OEM is what we use on a daily basis

When it comes to labour intensive jobs, we tend to stick to genuine LR, as the 2yr warranty covers parts AND labour Wink

But there are cases where there is a better option than the Genuine LR offering (Meyle HD, for example)

And in some cases, the cheap Britpart/Bearmach offerings function just as well as the genuine stuff

There is no easy answer, unfortunately, but experience does help Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #225401028th Sep 2021 2:53 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

With britfart, if you add the letter G to the end of the item number, you get a decent item, there is no question some of their stuff is utter dog shti! I have merrily used their hydraulic brake stuff for years.

Post #225405028th Sep 2021 7:40 pm
leojod

United Kingdom 

To me, britpart is fine for non-critical parts.

Post #225412929th Sep 2021 7:41 am
Discoveringcomfort

England 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I used a Britpart plastic water manifold on the D3 V8, it leaked from the off so I had to use part of the original LR manifold and the Britpart one bodged as they aren't built to the same tolerance. Six months later the Britpart bit of the manifold became porous and had to be replaced. The LR manaifold had lasted 110,000 miles.
 Series 1 V8
Series 2 Hibrid V8
Discovery 3 HSE V8 

Post #225416129th Sep 2021 9:35 am
Jack Rawly

United Kingdom 

Some interesting opinions and point made, thank you for your input.

I’m a mechanical maintenance engineer by trade and have worked for a few company’s in small and big factories. It’s amazing that some company’s will only go to the machine manufacturer for parts while others seek out the cheapest alternative.

In my experience the biggest difference is normally tolerance closely followed by materials used.

I think I will continue to stick with OEM standard parts, genuine is nice but the cost in some cases is more than double and when I’ve held parts side by side it’s incredibly hard to see where the added cost is.

Post #225420229th Sep 2021 12:29 pm
N5Fav

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Of course some aftermarket suppliers actually supply the vehicle manufacturers, for example most French car manufacturers use Valeo clutches, so you can by a Valeo clutch and be fitting the same part as a Peugeot boxed item at a lower price.
It can be difficult though to know who is the OE supplier and is selling OE equivalent parts
 1994 Defender 300tdi 110 commercial
2007 Disco 2.7 XS Buckingham Blue
1959 Standard 10 Coffe & Cream
1974 Vauxhall Magnum 1800 estate Olivine Starfire Green
1994 Renault 19 Cabrio
1995 Kawasaki GPz 1100 

Post #225420829th Sep 2021 12:58 pm
leeds

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

LR genuine, OEM or Britpart? A question often asked

What I say is make your parts manager at your local independent a good friend of yours and ask him.

A private individual might need to do a job once every few years whilst a good local independent will be doing it monthly or even weekly. They will not want to use a substandard part so that they will have to redo the job a few months later.

Britpart to the best of knowledge do not manufacture any items they sell and use a wide variety of manufacturers.

Brendan

Post #22555455th Oct 2021 9:15 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

The only thing Britpart manufacture themselves, is their Defender seat retrim kits Thumbs Up

Everything else is bought in and resold
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #22555475th Oct 2021 9:25 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Duc750

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Well the first thing is OEM has absolutely zero meaning - all it means is they are an original equipment manufacturer of something somewhere in a supply chain - it doesn't even have to be the JLR supply chain. It certainly doesn't have to mean they made the original part or to the original standard or in the same place. In fact its all a load of old codswallop!

Occasionally you can get back via a bit of detective work to who made the original bits and if you know the right people you can find out what standards they were made to and if the part on the market now with the manufacturers brand on it meets (or often exceeds) that standard.

If you can't do that (and its bloody hard to do) then you have to rely on knowledge generally from Indies or others as to what works. Decent Factors like Advanced will have a sensible conversation on what they think are the better options as its not in their interest to deal with returns and unhappy customers.

You also have to factor in what goes into the part and where its used. The example of the water manifold on the V8 is a good one. Its a complex moulding that is sold in low volume. requires good quality raw material and takes a long time to tool up and tool change when manufacturing.
If its cheap something has to have given in its manufacturing - either raw material or tooling as the supply chain costs won't have much left in them. Its a critical part, thats complex why would you expect a cheap option to be a good one ?

Wheel bearings are another one - complex part in a

By the way Britpart as a business can now claim to be an OEM as they are part of the JLR supply chain these days they just chose not to as they are mainly a factor rather than a manufacturer.

So long story short OEM means nothing at all. Britpart probably has more chance of being good than bad but the normal standard applies - "if you pay peanuts you get monkeys"
 05 D3 V8 HSE, LR Passion tree bars, wildbear compressor guard, LRP switch panel, ARB rear locker + compressor, Trigger 6 shooter electrical system
12 RRS SDV6 HSE (Hers) - Gone and replaced with an I Pace - I can tell you now EV is not the future yet
Metalian Camper trailer 

Post #22557176th Oct 2021 3:27 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >