DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Brixham Holiday (without SWMBO )
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Airportman

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Maya GoldDiscovery 3
Brixham Holiday (without SWMBO )

Hi
Have booked a week away in the Tintent down in Brixham Devon, staying at Hillhead caravan club site.
Will be on my own, no SWMBO or dogs. Thumbs Up
Looking for things to do and see, does anyone know or live in the area and can recommend a decent pub for a meal or two, will be taking my golf clubs so a local Pay and Play course would be nice and some decent places of interest, any help would be appreciated. Thumbs Up

Cheers
Peter

Will be from the 29th October to the 5th November

Post #136399025th Oct 2014 2:33 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Have you been down there before previously I.e. Do you know any of the local villages? Are you planning to base yourself at the campsite or drive and do a bit of touring?
And what are your pastimes?
My outlaws live there so we are down there fairly often...SWMBO is a Totnes girly so know most of the pubs!

Post #136402125th Oct 2014 4:15 pm
Airportman

Hi
No, not been down before, will be based at the CC campsite but do like to tour round and see the area.
Will have a look at Torquay and Paignton and enjoy the small fishing villages.
Do like my Golf ( weather permitting ) but basically i am down for a chill out week away from everything.
Would like to have a pub meal a couple of nights so a recommendation would be nice ( must do a Mixed grill ). Do like my photography so some areas of natural beauty would be great.
That`s about it really, thanks for taking the time to reply and will be interested in anything you can tell me.

Cheers
Peter

Post #136403025th Oct 2014 4:49 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Farmer Chalk

Awwww... So difficult.. It's a gorgeous part of the world with so much to do.. I suppose it really depends on the weather. Torquay is a mix of kiss me quick and generic shopping centres. Brixham is a bit quainter with a genuine fish market where the trawlers unload their catch each day.
Some great coastal walks from Brixham around Berry Head and around towards Kingswear. If your out for a drive go to Kingswear and take the Lower Ferry across to Dartmouth. The ferry is an experience to behold. Some nice shops great restaurants and a Castle to look around.

I would also have a trip down to Salcombe. Lovely flooded river valley which you can watch boats bobbing around the estuary. There's a small ferry which does a loop around the different beaches within the bay which is nice if not for a different perspective. Couple of great pubs there doing good seafood.

Take the coast road south from Dartmouth down the A379. Spectacular views along the coast and eventually leads you to the long spit at Slapton Sands. Here the whole area for miles around was taken over by the US Military during WW11. It replicated the Normandy beaches and they practised with the landing craft off loading under live fire...lots of local rumours that many died during these practice sessions. There was a horrendous loss of life here just prior to D Day when a couple of troop ships who were waiting offshore loaded with hundreds of troops were jumped by some E Boats and sunk. There is a Sherman tank which was recently recovered from the seabed which now sets at the end of the car park to act as a Memorial.
As an aside there is a fabulous fishy pub at Beesands called the Cricket Inn which when we ate there was excellent .
Hallsands and Beesands are close to the village which got washed away at the turn of the Century. There are some remains of the village but most of the village disappeared overnight following a storm. Dredging for sand to build The Naval Dockyard at Plymouth took away the sand bars which protected the village.

Hay Tor is the other extreme on Dartmoor. Very bleak but strangely lovely. The pub to eat there was The Rock Inn which does great hearty food.

Friday mornings Totnes is always worth a visit . Lovely old shops and good restaurants. Friday is market day and is always worth going as all the locals who are mostly a little strange and hippy all come into town.

If you like fishing the best place from the shore is Hopes Nose which again is a great walk down. That is the other point across the bay to Berry Head and together these two points create Torbay. Nice walk around the bay via Meadfoot Beach, Hopes Nose and Ilsham Marine Drive in Torquay.

Finally another place worth visiting is the Carey Arms at Babbacombe. Drive down to it via the 1 in 3 road cos you can and sit out over Babbacombe Bay and enjoy a good steak!

For golf Torquay Golf club is reputed to be good for an interesting game but I don't play so can't tell you!
Enjoy it's a fabulous place!

Post #136409325th Oct 2014 7:39 pm
Airportman

Hi
Sorry it has taken so long to reply but have just got in from picking up customers from St Pancras International and dropping them in Leicester.
Well what can i say, looks like i am going to be busy, it sounds a fantastic area, i am very interested in Slapton sands, i have been to Normandy twice and visited the beaches, war graves and Museums also the Somme and the battle of the bulge so this is right up my street, looking forward to that.
Also sounds like i will get some great photo`s of the area.
Will certainly take the ferry to Dartmouth and explore all you described and visit the pubs.
Really looking forward to going down there and thanks to you i have some knowledge of the place.

Once again thanks for taking the time to reply, it is much appreciated

Peter

Post #136420725th Oct 2014 11:53 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Be careful ..there were riots there in the 80's Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #136421226th Oct 2014 12:26 am
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

come on down most of the bloody tourist have gone home....plenty to see and do

Post #136421526th Oct 2014 2:25 am
Airportman

Thanks for the head up, Will def keep my eye on the locals DG Wink rough bunch i hear. Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Thanks for the invite Galwaygreen Thumbs Up looking forward to it

Peter

Post #136426126th Oct 2014 2:18 pm
Airportman

Hi
You were right, gorgeous part of the world, been here since Wednesday.
Done Torquay, Paignton, Babbacombe, Totnes and others.
Going to Dartmouth tomorrow and doing as you suggested, will go down to Salcombe
And Slapton sands, really looking forward to that, will also go to Hellsands & Beesands.
Going to make a day of it.
Thanks for your help Thumbs Up

Peter

Post #13675802nd Nov 2014 2:07 pm
Farmer Chalk

Excellent and glad you're enjoying it...... If it's pouring with rain and you're bored there's always the National Aquarium at Plymouth.
The Cott Inn at Dartington always did a nice meal! Or the Watermans Arms in Ashprington nr Totnes .

Close by you've got the Churston Court Inn on Church Lane Churston which is a grand old manor house which is now a pub restaurant serving hearty old meals...

Enjoy! Wish I was there!

Post #13677262nd Nov 2014 8:47 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >