Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

Broke Again
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
yawlboy

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3
Broke Again

Left Southampton this morning heading for the ferry in Pembroke. Queued for half an hour at the toll booths on the M4 in Wales finally got through and no clutch!!!!! Censored Censored Censored Censored Censored Censored Censored Censored Censored Censored Censored Censored Censored managed to get into second and drove the mile or so to the services.......

So sitting in services awaiting a breakdown truck that can tow the D3 and a 24 foot boat that weighs about 3t.

5 months old and 11,500 kms I'm getting kinda annoyed
 1993 Defender 110 300tdi - many mods  
Post #16785618th Jun 2007 2:33 pm
bkehoe

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Sorry to hear about your problems. Sad

Had you not broken down, we may have encountered each other further on - joined the M4 near Swansea earlier, and am now on the ferry from Fishguard to Rosslare using the newly installed wireless internet hotspot - £6 for the crossing!

Did you call LRA, or do Irish sold D3s just have AA membership?
 IE - 05 D3 TDV6 HSE - Zambezi Silver
SA - 07 VW Golf TDI - White - Sold! 

Post #16785718th Jun 2007 2:40 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

I wonder if it's anything to do with TSB 308-001 which covers problems with the friction lining of the clutch overheating and failing after it has slipped. Usually manifests as no 1st or reverse (or tricky to engage) but if you are towing a big boat and the clutch has slipped when starting off it could maybe cause this, please keep us posted as mine is playing up.
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #16786418th Jun 2007 3:16 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
yawlboy

In Pembroke at last, got a lift in a BIG lorry (see Gallery) very very nice man. Thumbs Up

No LRA in Ireland only AA I'm afraid. Plus using my Vodafone 3G card so Wireless everywhere.

There was no prior warning - it was working and then I couldn't find a gear above 3rd and it was slipping like mad in 3rd.

Now the clutch kinda works i.e. I can start and put it into gear but if I try and change gear it don't want to let it do so. It does judder a lot though. The AA are taking it from Rosslare to the dealer in the morning and I am towing the boat home with SWMBO's FFRR.

I'll file a report once the dealer lets me know what they are doing.
Post #16810118th Jun 2007 11:26 pm
yawlboy

Got home this morn - AA/Dealer dropped an 06 RRSport off 10 mins ago.
Post #16819519th Jun 2007 12:00 pm
BarryG

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Sorry to hear about that Yawlboy..... hope you get if fixed soon.
also sorry the hear that they gave you a loan of an RRS Whistle

Post #16821819th Jun 2007 12:47 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bkehoe

Hmm, this is the only lorry in your gallery Wink

Probably needs the TSB done for uprating/improving the clutch.

As for 3G, I've got a Vodafone card as well, but it never worked on the ferry, and if it did, only in ultra slow mode which is pretty useless, and they charged a fortune for using it in the UK/Outside Ireland. So last month I bought one of the 3 USB datacards on their €20 a month tarrif which gives you 10GB/month which can be used on any '3' network worldwide with no extra charges! Have already 'earned' money with it by not having to pay €20 a night for hotspot access in hotels while I've been away. Have kept the voda one while testing the 3 one, but am now going to cancel the vodafone one as I'm far happier with the 3 service. Smile

Post #16860820th Jun 2007 10:44 am
Hijack

Poland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

bkehoe wrote:

So last month I bought one of the 3 USB datacards on their €20 a month tarrif which gives you 10GB/month which can be used on any '3' network worldwide with no extra charges! Have already 'earned' money with it by not having to pay €20 a night for hotspot access in hotels while I've been away. Have kept the voda one while testing the 3 one, but am now going to cancel the vodafone one as I'm far happier with the 3 service. Smile

Beware it will only work with data connections in ROI, UK, Austria, Sweden, Denmark, Italy, HK and Australia (if you go that far Very Happy ). There is no data roaming with any other operators... You should expect faster speeds (HSDPA - 3.5G 1-3Mb/s) in the near future providing your card supports it.

Good luck,
HJ.
 D3 XS Manual - gone  
Post #16894720th Jun 2007 9:23 pm
bkehoe

Yes, should have made that a bit clearer when saying with any 3 network. I've been using 3 for my voice calls since they launched in Ireland, so already knew their coverage, which is amazingly impressive compared to the likes of Vodafones 3G coverage. I've even got '3' 3G coverage in my house 8 miles from the nearest town in the middle of the country. Can easily get at least 1MBit here at home as all of the 3 network in Ireland has been HSDPA enabled for a few months now. Most of my usage of this is in Ireland, but it's a real bonus being able to use it for no extra charge in the UK (Vodafone charge something like €90 per month to use theirs abroad within your download allowance), as 95% of the places I stay would have a signal from 3.

And should I have the unfortunate misfortune of being stuck without 3g coverage in Ireland and am desperate enough to be satisfied with dialup speeds, I've got a 100MB data bundle on my normal phone account, which I can happily connect to my laptop and use over GPRS. Smile

So, I wonder how this will help fix yawlboy's clutch (sorry!)? Wink

Post #16895620th Jun 2007 9:50 pm
Wex

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Brendan , does the card you are using fit the new Dell card slot ?. Have an O2 3G/GPRS datacard for my previous laptop but Dell have changed the connection slot on the new Inspiron models.

Apologies to Yawlboy for hijacking his thread Embarassed

Post #16912221st Jun 2007 10:49 am
bkehoe

Well that's another reason I can't use my Vodafone one any more anyway!

I've got a new Vaio which like the new Dells doesn't have a PC Card slot any more, only some new kind of 'express' slot.

The '3' datacard I have connects via a USB connector, though they also still do the old PC Card type. Vodafone also have USB cards too - think they're the same make. It is very small though, not much bigger than some of the slightly bigger USB memory sticks, and comes with some velcro so you can clip it onto the side of your laptop. The USB ones are handy as well as they're self installing - you can plug it into almost any PC, and it'll install the drivers and software itself, and be ready to go in under 5 mins. If you want a look at mine or anything, I'd be more than happy to demonstrate it.

Post #16912521st Jun 2007 10:58 am
Wex

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Thanks Brendan , USB , never thought of that . I'll see if I can pick one up in Dublin today.Thanks for the Demo offer .

PS for the Irish crew , Im in Dublin most days and travel down to Wexford sometimes via N7 mostly N11 , so if in need of anything picked up feel free to call. Packages containing dubious white powder is not included Very Happy .Occasioanally travel to Scotland a few times a year , offer applies likewise.

Post #16913021st Jun 2007 11:07 am
yawlboy

oops sorry bkehoe I can't upload pics at the mo for some reason. I'll try again later.
Post #16957721st Jun 2007 10:09 pm
yawlboy

sorted - finally managed to upload a few.

Click image to enlarge

Here's me dad with the clutchless D3 and the boat on the recovery truck - the boat trailer barely fitted on. about a quarter of one wheel was off the edge Shocked Shocked Shocked

Still got there in one piece.
Post #17112827th Jun 2007 9:57 am
BarryG

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

That's something you dont see every day. Shocked

Post #17114627th Jun 2007 10:38 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >