Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Webasto Fuel Burning Heater

How to build yourself a FBH controller
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 23 <123 ... 212223>
VMatas

Poland 

I have implemented this on board already(together with GSM modem). Works Thumbs Up

Post #121839716th Jan 2014 11:44 am
alex_pescaru

Thank you VMatas!

After several requests, I've added on the first post the source codes.
I've used the Microchip's MPLAB environment and compiled with the HiTech C Compiler.

Post #121854916th Jan 2014 5:06 pm
Bobs

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Seems very intersting Whistle

Would love to know what it all means Rolling Eyes

Sorry in advance and awaiting the ridicule Rolling with laughter Embarassed
 D4 Front upgrade/cut back wings n things 'taking a long time but getting there'.
D4 rear upgrade - Narpys helped with that bit
Flack for problem solving and D4 Bluetooth Install/ D4 Heated Steering wheel with Flappy paddles n BBS enabling kit
Disco Mikeys work - Serviced, EGR blanking and 4x4 software upgrade, 3 flash indicators.
B.A.S - FBHIC. Uncle Rays spare wheel protector. Beanie Silver Black badges. 

Post #121856116th Jan 2014 5:31 pm
CDS
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Excellent idea - keep up the good work Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Discovery 3/4 & RRS keys cut and programmed at your home or work
Apple CarPlay/ Android Auto retro fit - see it here
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blanking
Software updates/ enabling
Mobile Servicing & Repairs

Post #121856316th Jan 2014 5:42 pm
anglefire

England 

I'm going to try this - will be a bit rough and ready as I can't get a one off board made cheaply.

I have a gsm remote in the garage, which I'm pretty sure will do the switching time on at least Thumbs Up
 Mark.
2006, D3 SE Auto - gone but not forgotten.
2014 BMW 530d M Sport Tourer.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Post #121929217th Jan 2014 9:15 pm
parrafin23

Norway 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

This is realy nice of you Alex. I remember i asked Bell about this last year here on the forum, i think it was a group buy on these remote fbh he had going. but i cant find it now. The way you have done it is simple and easy to wire up for those who have the knowledge. The parts is easy to get and not expensive. Looking at this in another angle. The keyfob. this sends out a signal on a frequency. the Landrover button sends a code to the reciever in the car. might there be a sollution to make a reciever that uses the same frequency as the keyfob, program the ic to look for the exact code sent by the keyfob when you press the lr button and activate the fbh, one short press activate, 2 short press stop, 3 sec press prime the fbh?

I think if this is possible to do, you only need 12v and gnd to the "box'O'Trix" and a wbus wire to the webasto. The install would be simple task for everyone to do and you do not need to cut in to any wire.

But, there is one small detail that needs to overcome and thats the encryption from the key or is this not relevant Alex?

P.

Post #121948118th Jan 2014 8:46 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Narpy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Not sure if I'm right with this but doesn't the car wake up when you press the Land Rover button??

Presuming it does, how does this device overcome the car having control of the FBH?
 Mods:
Front Fogs + Halos
FBH Remote Control
The 1st Ever RRS Modded Grill
Garmin Nuvi + D4 Surround + Reversing Camera.
D4 Steering Wheel.
Rear Boot Spoiler.
Twin Brake Lights.
Wing Mirror Indicator Repeaters.
Long Roof Rails
Make your own Narpy grill thread
I'm not scared, I'm outta here. 

Post #121951018th Jan 2014 10:37 am
alex_pescaru

@parrafin23
I've looked to a as simple as possible solution. Another receiver will complicate things too much.
But this is why I've posted the sources, whoever wants to go further and improve it...

@Narpy
The car indeed wakes up, but this is necessary because the FBH needs to get the engine temperature from the engine ECU in order to know if it'll start or not. As the FBH is on the low speed CAN and the engine is on the high speed CAN and the BCM is the gateway, at least engine ECU, BCM and FBH needs to be awake.

Quote:
Which oscillator / crystal did you use to feed into the pic on your FBH schematic? I see its had an output on pin 5?

It's an integrated crystal oscillator.

Post #121964918th Jan 2014 3:23 pm
VMatas

Poland 

Alex, you sure that FBH asks for temperature PCM? FBH has its own coolant temperature sensor and can start without awaking of other modules - for example using GSM module. I'm sure, that after CAN bus disconnection FBH will operate without any problems using for start W-bus of course.

Post #121966918th Jan 2014 4:20 pm
alex_pescaru

Sorry, I meant the ambient/outside air temperature. From what I know the ambient air temperature is wired on the engine ECU.
At least this is how it's on Freelander 2, from inside left mirror wired directly to engine ECU.
You could say more exactly how is it on Disco3....
Sorry...

LE: I am seeing now that the ambient air temperature sensor is on the ATC module. This is also on low speed can. So the ATC should be awake too. Anyhow, back to the original question, yes, some of the car's modules should be awake.

Last edited by alex_pescaru on 18th Jan 2014 5:01 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #121967818th Jan 2014 4:47 pm
VMatas

Poland 

By my knowledge of FBH's - i have repaired many of them - it is autonomous device and dont need any info from PCM or other ECU's to operate, excluding case, when FBH is tethered to vehicle and cannot start without communication over CAN bus or W/K-bus, as for example L322 Range Rover. Tethered FBH(mostly Thermotop Z/C) doesn't start via W/K-bus (Webasto software WTT) nor analogous inputs if disconected from vehicle. In Disko 3 TTV is not tethered to vehicle, it can be started via WTT, 1533 timer or your controller using W-bus.

Post #121968818th Jan 2014 5:00 pm
alex_pescaru

Yes, the FBH could function in auxiliary heater mode, when driven by the car's CAN bus, and as parking heater mode (as we use them when driven over WBus).
As you know, if you look at the webasto command codes, there is also a different command for starting it in auxiliary heater mode than park heater mode.
But they can function in both modes if the firmware allows.
And on the Freel2, if the exterior temperature is above a certain value, it wont start even if you send start park heater mode. It may be the same case on Disco3. You should know if that's the case...

Post #121969218th Jan 2014 5:06 pm
VMatas

Poland 

By my opinion FBH does not receives START command over CAN bus from Disco side, if ambient temperature is above +5C. I do few times tests with WTT, when temperature was above +5C and FBH started normally.. so it not decides about ambient temperature.

Post #121969318th Jan 2014 5:15 pm
alex_pescaru

It may be the case of Disco3, but Freel2 and from what I know the new models, need software/firmware change in order to work in park heater mode.
I've tried with WTT on Freel2 before the firmware update and didn't work. After enabling it with SDD, which meant updating software on engine ECU, TTV and CCF, it worked with WTT.
BUT, still wont work, even with WTT, if the ambient temperature is above 15 deg. Celsius.
So, even if it receives on WBus a start, "someone" on CAN is saying stop.
Works if you disconnect the CAN, but then you loose the supplementary/auxiliary heater mode for assisting engine warm-up.

Post #121969818th Jan 2014 5:25 pm
VMatas

Poland 

Its interesting, seems new firmware works a bit differently. With new vehicles we lose control over ECU's increrasingly.. Very Happy

Post #121970218th Jan 2014 5:29 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 23 <123 ... 212223>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >