Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Bulbs questions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
discoBizz

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Bulbs questions

Been following Mrs Biz this morning and noticed the rear right brake bulb has gone... Sad

Not too worried about it as such, I am guessing get a same bulb and replace. The first question is whether anyone has "upgraded" these with better quality/brightness (it's an old habbit of mine to upgrade consumables once they go past their useful life where possible Laughing )

The second question is regarding the front driving lights (switch position I) and cornering lights (I have adaptive lights): I saw another D3 on the street the other day with much brighter driving lights (also white-ish light emission) and was hoping someone might point me in the direction of upgraded bulbs for both the driving and cornering lights. Just to clarify, I'm not after blue/red/green or other shades of the rainbow, simply a (much) brighter bulb to replace the OE Wink

Pics and suppliers would be great if you've got them 8)

Thanks in advance Thumbs Up

Post #6129102nd Mar 2010 10:42 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
discoBizz

Bump and not trying to be funny, but I am utterly confused with search results Confused

Most seem to relate to upgrading the main beam anyway, in my case I'm loking at upgrading the white bulb at the bottom of the orange section (below the arrows):
Click image to enlarge

My confusion got even more widespread as I read about how LED bulbs can be damaging (?) to the car?

...and of course, reading other posts now I'm eager to change the bulbs in those Censored LR "driving lights" which are only decorative IMHO: am I correct in understanding that 55W bulbs is the max that will work without melting the casing on these?

And if one was to replace standard bulbs with LEDs (both on the corner light and the driving lamps), would resistors be necessary Confused Confused

Thanks Thumbs Up

Post #6133292nd Mar 2010 10:40 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jum649

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Alveston RedDiscovery 3

You can get a different colour temp of those sidelight bulb. I know as I had them in my last Hilux. Not blue, but match the headlights much better.
You are right though, they don't look good as standard.

Got mine here: http://www.regalautobulbs.co.uk/

Post #6133342nd Mar 2010 10:50 pm
POINTYED

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

these are my led sidelight bulbs they are brilliant bright white, the adaptive bulbs can also be replaced with the same bulb, as tintenter has done.looks 8)
my rears are led d4 lights and the only resistor used is across the indicator wires to stop the quick flashing of the dashboard light.
landrover fit led lights as standard to the d4 so i dont think they could damage the car at all or else they wouldnt fit them
dunc Thumbs Up
 life is tooooo short.enjoy the moment.dont worry be happy

club BSS 

Post #6133412nd Mar 2010 10:57 pm
POINTYED

my d4 lights fitted to my d3
wasnt sure of them at first but very quickly grew on me
dunc Thumbs Up

club BSS 

Post #6133462nd Mar 2010 10:59 pm
discoBizz

Cheers Thumbs Up

@ Dunc, I was refering to simply changing the burst brake bulb with an LED one (actually two, for both sides), not swapping for the D4 clusters... Will an LED brake bulb be ok in the D3 cluster without a resistor?

Thanks again!

Post #6133482nd Mar 2010 11:03 pm
POINTYED

hi
yeah you can change them without the need for resistors.i did mine in my old rear lights.
i only happened to come across the need for a resistor when i changed the indicator bulbs and there was one in the kit.before that i had no idea Rolling Eyes
dunc Thumbs Up

club BSS 

Post #6133662nd Mar 2010 11:17 pm
discoBizz

Thanks again!

Would you happen to have the specs of the bulbs you used both for the front sidelights and rear brake lights? It seems the D3 will accept "1157" type bulbs for the latter, but not sure I have this right or what the front specs are Confused

Thumbs Up

Post #6133702nd Mar 2010 11:20 pm
POINTYED

sorry now youve lost me mate
couldnt tell you numbers ect,just spoke to bolt on bits.net and asked for sidelight,brake and indicator bulbs and they did the hard bit,sorted the right bulbs ect and sent them to me
sorry
dunc Thumbs Up

club BSS 

Post #6133762nd Mar 2010 11:25 pm
discoBizz

Laughing No worries Thumbs Up

I'll try to suss it up with local guys, don't particularly trust them, but it will have to do Rolling Eyes

Post #6133782nd Mar 2010 11:33 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >