Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D4)

Burning smell from AC
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
oggy_oggy

Sweden 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4
Burning smell from AC

Along with the first warm weather here in Sweden, during a holiday trip with the family, something decided to burn out in my AC system. Or at least that is my guess.

All of a sudden, driving on the motorway, a burning plastic/electronics smell started blowing out the air vents. No smoke just smell. I hit the recirculating button hoping the smell was from outside. After a couple of minutes we noticed the smell from the vents did not change when recirculating cabin air.

Turning off the AC and opening the windows cleared the smell until we could stop.

First of all I checked for smells in the engine bay and under the car but nothing. After the engine cooled down I tried running the AC with the engine off and the smell is the same, so it should not be engine related.

Checked the cabin air filter and there was one red flag; the filter was pushed in too high (by PO) and was a bit squashed at the sides. It could easily have let some debris pass beside it. Also running a scan gave me fault code B1083 which could mean the filter was blocking the recirculation door.

I have pulled out the blower motor, cleaned the internal soot and tested it outside the car, it works fine and does not smell. No burnt connectors to it. I have also removed the blower motor resistor and checked it as best I could, did not see any faults on it and no smell or burnt connectors. The temperature fuse is ok. I also ran the AC with the resistor loose in the cabin but the smell from vents was unchanged and nothing from the resistor .

All AC functions work properly, and all fan speeds run smoothly but the smell is unbearable and probably not so good for you or whatever is burning..

Does anyone have a suggestion on what to check next? I was thinking it could be that the recirculation door motor has been burnt out from the blockage but i have not found a way to reach it..

Post #204840524th Apr 2019 8:59 pm
oggy_oggy

Sweden 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

Post #204840624th Apr 2019 9:02 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >