Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Should I buy a Discovery 4? V8? For full time workhorse.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Nc1989

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Just buy the thing you want and will put the biggest smile on your face, and deal with whatever consequences that may or may not come up as they happen. You’re a long time at work and a longer time dead.

I use my D3 as my work van loaded to the headliner with kit and often with a heavily loaded trailer behind. A van would be more practical in a lot of cases but it works for me and I love driving it, I can have had the worst day ever but at least I’ve had a run out in my Land Rover. When the time comes it’ll get replaced with a D4 or D5, both have their issues but at least they have the right badge on Very Happy

Post #233948614th Jun 2023 8:26 pm
Trailered Movements

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

I got rid of my D4 Commercial, but still needed something that could tow 3,500kgs and could be used as a 'car'.

Bought a VW Touareg, wished I had done it before. Found an Altitude model with better looking bumpers and side sills, but wihout air suspension which is notorious on these, or a sunroof to get rid of the drain pipe issues.

It's a 3.0 V6 with 240bhp, which is more economical, much quicker in all respects and far more comfortable. Allied to servicing every 20,000 miles (?), what's not to like.

Sold the 2011 D4 for £12k, bought the 2010 Touareg for less than half. No worries the engine is going to let go, no silly handbrake and no pathetic battery drain issues.

Dave
 2011 Discovery 4 Commercial SDV6 (Gone)
2010 RRS TDV8 (Gone)
1980 OBLIC 4.0ltr Range Rover (went a long time ago) 

Post #233950114th Jun 2023 10:27 pm
Willie.

United Kingdom 

Again - thanks to everyone for helping me here. Am genuinely considering all points and suggestions made.

Very valid point made about enjoyment. I've always tended to have a car that excited me, even if it was a bit different, but it made me grin. So a hearty big V8 with a nice grumble and a bit of poke when the trailer is hooked off...would really make me grin. Prospeed roof rack, few neat and tidy upgrades and it would be a toy as well as a tow-horse.

I hadn't really considered the Touareg properly if I'm honest, as I felt them (And the XC90 previously mentioned) were more road biased, and I was mainly looking at a tad more heavy duty/agricultural things (Shogun, Landcruiser, Discovery and all the Pickups). I was worried at the lack of low box on the VW, and assumed it was DSG...but now believe I might be wrong. Is the Touareg a torque converter box? If it is, I could probably live without the low box as at least its just pumping oil and not wearing hard at clutch plates if I'm having to do hard work. The other question is - does the tailgate clear the trailer jockey wheel? That would write it off entirely for me if it doesn't.

I've a bit of a bug-bear about that. I don't really understand why all the farm jeeps; Shoguns and Landcruisers, have side opening rear doors, that only open til they hit the jockey wheel. So you get your door open to about 30-40 degrees. Our family Transit Custom has a tailgate rather than barn doors...so I can't open it at all.

You'd wonder who designs a vehicle for offroady use, the ability to tow 3500kg, but you can only open the tailgate far enough to let a ferret in.

Will look into the Touareg some more - thanks for the suggestion on that one, but if you know on the box and tailgate be very grateful.

Post #233952615th Jun 2023 9:59 am
pjm-84

Ukraine 

Outside suggestion would be a VW T5 or T6 4motion with a tailgate rear.

Had a Client who had one of these and he had it raised to provide better ground clearance on construction sites

Post #233952815th Jun 2023 10:37 am
Trailered Movements

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

My 2010 Touareg has 'High & Low' range selection and not only is the tailgate jockey wheel friendly, it is a split item so just the rear window can be opened on its own if required.

The initial gearbox problems were overcome in 2009 with the introduction of a modified mechatronic housing, so the only other 'issues' are air suspension and tyre wear if the geometry is not set up right.

Yes it does sit down at the back with a heavy trailer and standard springs, but that's a small price to pay for simplicity, and I am looking into spring helpers to assist here.

In fact the Touareg is so much better than the price and age would suggest, I'm selling my RRS as well.

Dave
2010 RRS TDV8 (Gone)

Post #233956215th Jun 2023 3:14 pm
Willie.

United Kingdom 

Hi Dave - would you mind doing me a favour? My jockey wheel is 24" (610mm) from centre of the tow ball. Would you be able to set a wheelbin or hold a brush vertically, 24" behind the centre of tow ball and see if the tailgate clears?

Not sure what the mechatronic is, you lost me there! But are we saying the Touareg boxes are not DSG, they're normal torque convertor? Any problems going for the newer shaped ones?

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh...High & Low range. Does she lock the centre diff on low range, or could you do a full lock turn? Do you know if it has a haldex style unit or if its transfer case (I'm assuming transfer case as low box).

PJM - have mates with a Transporter crewcab, really REALLY nice article. Not sure what exactly it is, might have a GTI engine in it or something. Thing goes like the absolute hammers and I'd love one. But from my investigation, the Transporters are all DSG boxes, not TC. I'd have that wrecked unfortunately.

Post #233956415th Jun 2023 3:31 pm
Trailered Movements

Hi Willie

Gearbox first, it's a torque converter gearbox made by AISIN, with VW/Audi tiptronic ability for the 3.0 V6, although apparently a DSG was offered in some models/markets from 2018.

Depending on model/spec, the centre diff is either Torsen or Haldex.

Tailgate arc is max 22", which for my fixed tow bar is fine, not sure about the removeable VW one though.

Avoid 2.5 litre 5 cylinder Touaregs, they are low powered and thirsty, and unless you have large pockets, both for fuel and servicing, the mighty 5.0 V10.

The 3.0 V6 diesel is the same engine as used in most model Audis and the Porsche Cayenne and Panamera, so is proven and good for 200,000 miles +.

Dave
2010 RRS TDV8 (Gone)

Post #233957015th Jun 2023 4:09 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >