Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

buying advice re crank
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
adam

United Kingdom 

Same as Kington, one of the reasons I moved on, £11k for a trade in or a fraction of that in scrap.
 Now Golf GTI PP, 7 speed DSG.
Ex D3 and D4 

Post #209385220th Oct 2019 11:22 am
Peakwayfarer

England 

And me, after being told by LRCS, that with FLRSH and a warranty they would consider crankshaft failure under goodwill, BUT if FLRSH and LR extended warranty it would be looked at as favourable goodwill, land rovers extended warranty company told me the same, so one could be alright or not depending on what the level of good will is, and on a potential £20k repair bill I wasn't prepared to that that risk.
Also have to take into account of being without a car whilst it's being fixed, it took a month to sort mine, and I was fortunate to be under manufacturers warranty, so was provided with a Range Rover Sport with tow bar for a month, heard of others who were not as lucky, so would suggest you check small print of any warranty to see what the replacement vehicle policy is.

Post #209387820th Oct 2019 2:57 pm
Robert SausageTrousers

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 4

Yeah unfortunately I'm just about coming to the same conclusion. I had crankshaft failure on my last D4 (a 2010) at 82k miles, LR didn't want to know as I'd bought it from an Indy and it didn't have a FLRSH, my easiest/cheapest way out was to part ex it with a blown engine for a newer D4 from LR with their 2 year approved warranty. The warranty on the newer car has now lapsed and although the car has been with LR from new with a full dealer service history, I'm under no illusion that they'd do anything other than wash their hands of it if/as/when it goes bang.

It's now on 77k miles so I'm looking to move on, I'd love to get another D4 but LR are now only offering a 1 year warranty, which says it all - I looked at Touaregs (used to own one years ago) but surprisingly VW are now only offering a 1 year warranty too, what a PITA that is, I've no desire to change my car every year but would like a full manufacturers warranty.

It's a bit of a pickle really, nothing appeals anywhere near as much as sticking with LR, but their Censored poor warranty cover means I can't consider them.

Post #209407121st Oct 2019 1:38 pm
Mr Kington

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

RobertSausageTrousers take a look at the Rexton Ultimate by Ssangyong. It is a JLR ? No and I am not claiming it is. But is pretty close. Depends on what you want and need ?

We needed a low range box, 4x4, reliability and the ability to seat 7 and tow horse boxes. 7 year warranty was just the icing on the cake and a monthly service plan at £24. Starting to see more of them up here in the Scottish Borders, mainly due a move away from the big brands but also the warranty on offer. Think a few people were also waiting on the Defender but the prices and style have put them off.

The Ssangyong doesn't have the same kudos as a D4, Merc, VW and it also starts to get annoying explaining to everyone that it is a Ssangyong and yes I know you have never heard of one etc etc

But it has been great, covered 2k in it so far and felt as fresh doing 630 miles over 48 hours as i ever did in the D3. Its an option.....
 James favourite hobby is writing in the third person.  
Post #209407621st Oct 2019 1:47 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >