Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Buying advice please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
eddtheduck

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Buying advice please

Ok, here goes. I am very much in the market for a late low mileage (run in) D3. I think the car in SE spec or above is great, if expensive for the private buyer from new. I have rarely bought new and as such am watching the used market very closely.

At present the V8 is my preferred car - addicted to large numbers of cylinders and the fantastic grunt between 40 and 70mph. I am impressed by the fact that going for a recent used car about £10k depreciation has happened with many cars being much cheaper than their equivalent diesels. Taking into account 18mpg for V8 and 25mpg for diesel with 8000miles per year and the current difference between these fuels in cost there is very little difference in terms of cost for 3 years motoring when the fact that V8s are cheaper to buy is added in to the calculation.

Am I missing something? Should I listen to my heart and go with the V8?

Post #4761414th Mar 2006 6:32 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

V8's are very fine cars, they are only cheap because they are very difficult to sell.

Will you still be happy with a car that is so difficult to sell come trade-in?

If so, go get!

Vrroomm.

(Slightly more to insure too!)

Post #4762214th Mar 2006 6:47 pm
Rodg75

United Kingdom 

I was looking at getting the v8, but test drove a tdv6 and couldn't believe it was a diesel, so quiet and smooth. Getting one modded (around 230 to 250bhp) for 600 quid or so as opposed to 4500 pounds extra for a v8 (290 bhp) seemed to make sense. A v8 with a few thou miles on the clock will definitely be worth less than an equivalent diesel.
If you haven't already, test drive a diesel first! Shocked

Post #4764114th Mar 2006 7:34 pm
JMC

Scotland 

I've enjoyed a V8 ES Disco, I'm now 'enjoying' a TDV6 SE with a Turbochip even more. Laughing

Can't say what the standard TDV6 is like, but I reckon mine is faster than my V8 was. Furthermore, the V8 could go down to 10mpg under heavy use so I think your comparison may be a bit optimistic, but it depends where you drive. I averaged 27.3mpg in the 250+ miles from new with the TDv6 (last Saturday) and I expect it will see 30mpg by the end of the year.

Your biggest downfall with the V8 is going to be resale and if you factor that into your equation along with some less optimistic mpg figures, I think you will find a good reason to go for a TDV6 instead.......

Post #4764414th Mar 2006 7:51 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
paul

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

My wife can not get better than 21mpg in our Diesel. Although it's only done 800 miles I can not see this improving my more than 10% when run in. The V8 must be terrible in Auto and I bet you would never get 18mpg out of it unless you were driving at 56mph on a motorway.
Diesel every time for us not forgetting that the V8 is cheaper in comparision to the diesel now but it will also be the same in 3 years so the money you save now you will lose almost as much in the future. 3 year old second hand buyers are cost conscious so will not be paying the same for a V8 as a diesel car.
 2006 TDV6 S Auto, Buckingham Blue, for the wife and kids.
2013 BMW 535d M sport touring. 

Post #4775815th Mar 2006 1:08 pm
Pelyma

England 

Your car will improve and follow the advice from BN on economical driving (do a search) I regularly get 28mpg unless I'm late for appointments Wink It does take a long time for the engine to loosen up though.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #4776215th Mar 2006 1:12 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >