Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Buying my first D3, advice needed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
lrsteve77

United Kingdom 
Buying my first D3, advice needed

Sorry if I m posting this in the wrong place ! I m looking at getting back into a Land Rover after many years away from them and I m very keen to get into a D3 and looking for a little technical advise from you experts Smile Looked at one today, 2007 HSE 103k black,£8900, with substantial history, inside and out appear near perfect, it drove superb with no knocks, noises or issues with the auto box. My concerns are when I operated the air suspension it seemed to take a long time to raise and lower, the only way I could tell it was working was by putting my hand between the wheel and arch and could feel it moving very slowly, there were no errors on the screen and eventually it confirmed on the screen it was at selected height. Is this normal ? My other concern is there was a bit of oil leaking from the transfer box which seemed to be coming from where the the two halves of the casing join together, is this something to be worried about ?
I believe there is issues with the oil pumps, is there any way to tell if this has been done apart from past invoices ? It had cambelt at 88,000 but unsure about the oil pump. I appreciate any help you can throw my way and thank you in advance.

Post #192985124th Mar 2018 7:05 pm
geoffsnook

Wales 

Sounds like the compressor for the suspension needs looking at if t's taking a long time to lift and yes a 2007 2.7 tdv6 had a problem with the oil pump its pretty hard to see if it's had a modified pump without taking some of the front of the car off so have a look on the invoice to see if it has if not it would be worth you doing it or factoring the price of a new one in the offer you may make or get them to do it as if it does go you can be looking at a new engine not to sure about oil leak though Thumbs Up
 Discovery 3 se gone
Range rover sport supercharged here:) 

Post #192985624th Mar 2018 7:36 pm
Geoff at Drym

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

As geoffsnook says, definitely make sure that this 2007 D3 has the latest oil pump. Also, if oil is leaking from the join at the transfer box, this needs to be sorted as it could be a seal and the transfer box does not hold very much oil even when topped up (it's expensive too). The level certainly needs to be checked.
 2007 Disco3 2.7 tdv6 SE
gvif with reversing camera
V8 brakes with new EPB module and shoes
Later D4 grille
Alive tuning remap
Mazda MX5
Ferguson ted20 tractor
Hyundai Getz 1.4 (wife's ) 

Post #193000725th Mar 2018 10:56 am
geoff.

England 

transfer box is fill by quantity 1.5 ltrs Thumbs Up

Post #193002225th Mar 2018 11:42 am
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I would let it go and keep looking, its not like theres a shortage of them.

Compressor will be over 500 and tfer box could be getting the same way not counting what else they find.

This is one of the problems of once expensive cars they still have expensive running costs, which at times can be hard to justify.

Mine can be in access height, start engine flick to standard ride height, back off the driveway into drive and almost straight away its at std height I would hazard a guess at 10/20 seconds max

Post #193002425th Mar 2018 11:51 am
lrsteve77

United Kingdom 

Thank you all for your feedback Thumbs Up ! I think I will leave this one and keep looking. Does the D3 have any issues with corrosion on the chassis or body ? That’s what killed all my D1’s Sad

Post #193022725th Mar 2018 8:19 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Serious corrosion is not an issue yet, BUT you need to remove the sill plastic covers and see whats going on underneath as my 06 has some localised corrosion staring on the sill weld seams and this is all hidden behind the covers!
The rear cross member behind the bumper rusts but again its a serious piece of steel and some chassis wax stops it dead, again we arent talking D1/2 rot here just light to heavy surface rust

I have seen a couple of pics of quite bad rot on the inner sills, but these are the exception and very rare, I think Ive seen pics of two cars in 3.5 years.

They are nothing like the rot everywhere D1 and rot before your eyes D2 chassis!

Post #193032226th Mar 2018 8:11 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >