DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Buying in the UK and bringing to NZ
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
joe75

New Zealand 
Buying in the UK and bringing to NZ

Hi Guys,

I am new on here but have spent the last few weeks reading etc.

We moved from the UK to NZ about 2yrs ago and are about to return to the UK for an extended stay. Rather than hire a car I am looking at buying a good low mileage 2006/7/8 diesel discovery 3.

Has any one had any experience of doing the same? I have already brought one vehicle into NZ from the UK and more or less know the procedure but it was not a Discovery 3.

I would like to put a wanted add on the for sale section but I need to have 25 posts first ... So maybe take this as my wanted advert!

Thanks in advance for any help or info.

Cheers

Joe

Post #10005269th Nov 2012 4:19 am
ZacSmith

United Kingdom 

Can't help - but you won't get the right answers here. Email martin at disco3.co.uk and I am sure he'll let you post a wanted, which will be well received by those with For sales.
 VIN: A175A328***  
Post #10006009th Nov 2012 10:19 am
joe75

New Zealand 

Thanks for your info. I take it Martin runs the forum? I will see if I can find his email address.

Still would like to here from anyone who has imported into NZ with regards to shippers and how the process went etc.

Thanks

Joe

Post #10010039th Nov 2012 8:52 pm
ZacSmith

United Kingdom 

His email is as per my post above just with@ instead of at
 VIN: A175A328***  
Post #100125110th Nov 2012 2:15 pm
Snafu4wd

New Zealand 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 3

Joe, a few from our club have imported various Land Rovers from UK, most seem to run into problems getting them registered and road legal here though, some have had a huge challenge getting it done.

http://www.lroca.org.nz/

Any slight modification from how it was manufactured seems to cause a problem from some of the stories i have heard at club meetings. Maybe drop an email to our committee and someone might help with import details.
 1999 Disco 1, 300TDi, Snorkel, ARB Dual Lockers, 9500 Come-Up Winch, Custom Bars & Sliders, Terrafirma +2in Shocks. Silverstone MT-117 33".
2006 Disco 3 , TDV6, Active Rear Diff, ARB Front Locker, KW-Systems Chip, Snorkel, ARB Bullbar, ARB CKMA12 compressor, Kaymar Rear Bar, GOE Armour, GOE Sliders, 12000lb Kingone Winch, LLAMS Height adjustor, Traxide Dual battery w/Optima Yellowtop, GoodYear Road Tyres & Maxxis 275/65R18 Mud Tyres, Ironman Dual Storage Drawer System, GME 3100 UHF 

Post #100550318th Nov 2012 11:57 pm
joe75

New Zealand 

Thanks for the info.

We imported our 1987 VW camper into NZ and what a nightmare! Huge amounts of red tape and crazy bureaucracy. It reminded me of my days living in South America ... $500 for that bit of paper, another $750 for that stamp etc etc. Never again.

With newer vehicles it is much easier as long as they are 100% standard as per manufacturer. I was just checking that a Discovery 3 did not have any hidden problems regarding importing into NZ, my research says not.

Thanks for the replies. Now time to find a nice low mileage one for sale Rolling Eyes

Post #100969926th Nov 2012 10:56 pm
Hofoa

New Zealand 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hi Joe

Just reading your post now. Recently brought a d4 into NZ from UK - straightforward but took ages on a ro-ro service and cost about nz$1000 to get on the road (certification, rego) etc. about to do it again with a d3 - d4 is very nice but not convinced it is worth the huge price premium.

Good luck

Post #105881020th Feb 2013 8:48 am
joe75

New Zealand 

Thanks for the reply.

How was the ro-ro service? what was the cost? I have always used a container as I have heard of damage when using ro-ro!

I am about to go through the bureaucratic NZ registration system again. Time to pay $$$$ for various bits of paper. You guys in the UK don't how easy, fast and cost effective the UK used car import system is ...

Post #10659084th Mar 2013 6:52 am
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

joe75 wrote:
.......You guys in the UK don't how easy, fast and cost effective the UK used car import system is ...

I have done this twice now...
the Morris Minor from NZ....went through until the Morris Minor Club really Censored me up in Northern Ireland....came into Tilbury in a container Zero customs duty.
More recently bringing my XK in from Jersey...relatively hassle free helped very much by the personal import people in HMRC.....really helpfull...the CE cert cost £100...& I hade all the supporting paperwork well sussed that made it a tax free import.
I wil be shipping a vehicle to NZ in the next few months & may ask for where the log jams are likely to be...

I see you live in the Mount...spent many a happy hour there at the Fletcher's timber plant...nice place.
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #10659194th Mar 2013 8:07 am
Hofoa

New Zealand 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

The ro-ro was fine but took three months (transshipment in Melbourne) and was more expensive ($4000)than the very good quote I had for the D3 I'm now bringing by container to replace my d4. Will let you know how that goes.

The NZ inspection regime is ridiculous - NZ standards are equivalent to or lower than EU ones so why check everything again for a vehicle which has been registered on UK roads? Bureaucracy gone mad.

Post #10670546th Mar 2013 8:45 am
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

Hofoa wrote:
The NZ inspection regime is ridiculous - NZ standards are equivalent to or lower than EU ones so why check everything again for a vehicle which has been registered on UK roads? Bureaucracy gone mad.

The one good thing with WOF in NZ its done regularly & very well & has to be evidenced by the window sticker....also vehicles are used way beyond the design life so checking things at the start is a way into control this....
For a small country the bureaucracy is proportionate compared to some others I have experinced....
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #10670596th Mar 2013 9:01 am
joe75

New Zealand 

BLFarrar wrote:
Hofoa wrote:

The one good thing with WOF in NZ its done regularly & very well & has to be evidenced by the window sticker....also vehicles are used way beyond the design life so checking things at the start is a way into control this....
For a small country the bureaucracy is proportionate compared to some others I have experinced....

I agree with the bureaucracy gone made quote. UK Mot's are much more stringent than the NZ WOF. Here in nz they have not started testing exhaust emissions yet!
The only reason they want to re-check everything with imported vehicles is to make money. Form stamping for form stamping a sake. It just means that personal imports are complicated and expensive keeping most people from doing it leaving the dealers to keep car prices high....

Post #10670706th Mar 2013 9:25 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >