Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Buying used D4s - Age, mileage or service history important?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Discologist

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4
Buying used D4s - Age, mileage or service history important?

My very long in the tooth D3 has finally bitten the dust and I'm looking to replace it with a D4. On the basis that I'd like the newest I can stretch to within about the 12-13k bracket I've been looking at ones between 2012 and 2014. I've seen a few I like the look of but have found myself wondering what are the most important factors when choosing a replacement.

Age - Presumably the younger the better simply because everything deteriorates with age.

Mileage - I know these are mile eaters (my D3 has done nearly 250,000 in its 18 year), but is a low(er) number preferable, or is a newer model with higher numbers a fair bet?

Service history - I'm sure this is probably a no brainer, but the more I know about how it's been looked after (and who by) the better. In one case, I've seen what looks like a well preserved but high miles example that the selling dealer reckons has no recorded history for the last five years(!).

All thoughts welcome.

Post #234271919th Jul 2023 12:21 pm
AdamB

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

What killed the D3? Impressive mileage either way!

One thing I always look at is the MOT history. So many cars at used dealers have got long histories of ignored advisories that then eventually become failures. Many D3's had reoccurring advisories, major failures and then instantly clean MOT's a few days later when I was looking. My belief is that these are the cars that give them a bad name as there is almost no way they could have had everything fixed in a day. Keep on top of maintenance and you reduce your chances of major failures.

Post #234272119th Jul 2023 12:34 pm
Discologist

AdamB wrote:
What killed the D3? Impressive mileage either way.

A combination of road salt eating away the sills and rear arches, and it needing a lot of suspension and drivetrain parts all at once - pretty much all of the air suspension system bar the pipework and valve blocks; most of the suspension arms; and a rear propshaft; both rear wheel bearings. the list goes on.

To be fair, It's been showing its age for a while, and I've stinted somewhat on maintenance for the last year or two so some of the timing is self inflicted, but even spread over a couple of years the likely cost is prohibitive for a nearly 20 year old car.

On the plus side - as far as we can tell it's still on its original (manual) clutch which seems remarkable.

Post #234272819th Jul 2023 1:18 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Sounds like a good candidate for stripping. Lots of parts on that car that will still be good. Whistle Whistle

Post #234273019th Jul 2023 1:40 pm
waterbuoy

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I find myself in a very similar situation:

My 2009 ('58 plate) D3 is on 290k miles (albeit second engine at 180k) and is rusting away at rear sills and suspension mounts. The rest of car is very good mechanically, though pretty poor outside from a cosmetic perspective. In addition to the salt on the roads we live about 15metres from the sea!

If I could find a good D3 I would go for it as I find them much more relaxing to drive than my wife's D4 which, due to the extra power etc, will likely result in me getting points on my licence. However, I think age is creeping up on all of the D3s (mine is just about as late as they went) so I'm thinking of an early D4 with the old 6-speed box. Not sure how they drive with a bit more power, but hopefully not as brisk as the later models.

Given the above then the priorities for me are both mechanical history and condition of the underside. Mileage or cosmetic condition do not bother me - it is very much a working vehicle.
 Currently 2009 Disco 3 SE, 2013 MY D4 HSE and 2016 D4 SE
Previously:
TD5 Defender 110 CSW (230k miles)
300TDi Disco 1 (289k)
4 RR Classics (300-350k each, 2 manual, 2 auto)
110 V8 CSW (220k)
S3 109 hi cap pickup (ex RN)
S2A 88 Safari SW with lpg conversion (bloody lethal) 

Post #234273119th Jul 2023 1:55 pm
Discologist

DSL wrote:
Sounds like a good candidate for stripping. Lots of parts on that car that will still be good. Whistle Whistle

I know they're often worth more in parts but unfortunately I've nowhere to keep it off road so it will probably be headed to the great garage in the sky soon.

Post #234273319th Jul 2023 2:13 pm
Nc1989

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

I always prefer more miles with better history than low miles and poor history. Recently picked up a D3 on nearly 180k that has main dealer receipts for literally everything throughout its life and has been over serviced from day 1 - it shows as it drives bloody perfect and is very clean underneath being a London car.

Could be interested in your D3 if you fancied firing across a pm with a price and location Thumbs Up

Post #234274519th Jul 2023 3:17 pm
Oxford-boy

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Service and maintenance history with a good outfit/independent.

Some idea of the life it may have lead, I looked at a decent D4 but it was parked up with a speedboat on a trailer when I viewed. A few questions later yes it very much had been 'in the sea' a few times to load the boat. On that occasion I felt there were others still too view that maybe hadn't led a salty bath life.

Age far less relevant except in terms of what you get i.e. you want the 8 speed D4 if at all possible..
 Jim

2014 Discovery 4 XXV SDV6 Causeway Grey
2016 Discovery 4 HSE Lux SDV6 Loire Blue - now gone 

Post #234277619th Jul 2023 7:42 pm
G3Z

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285377345643?mk...media=COPY
 Defender 110 2.4 TDCi Utility Station Wagon.

2007 Disco 3 GS TDV6 Manual
200,000+ mile club 😎 

Post #234279219th Jul 2023 10:19 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >