DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

Bye bye Disco...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
nickmak

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Bye bye Disco...

Hey guys,

After only owning my Disco for about 8 months, I sadly have had to let it go because it was eating into my finances quite a bit. I must say it's been a wonderful time, these 8 months.... I won't be leaving the forum though as I have promised some of you guys here that I will be organizing a detailing meet some time this spring. It's been a pleasure to be on the forum!

Anyway it's gone and I'm officially car-less now... Big Cry

Nick
 Visit my car detailing blog at http://maksimumdetail.wordpress.com  
Post #7438369th Jan 2011 3:05 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Let us know what you get, nothing reliable please as you will be will ferl out of place here!! Whistle Whistle Thumbs Up

Post #7438509th Jan 2011 3:48 pm
WOODY179

United Kingdom 

DSL - everyone will think that the D3 is unreliable Rolling Eyes not counting my first D3 my present one has only broken down once and that was due to a flat battery that I caused Embarassed. Yes I've had a few warranty issues in the first couple of years but last 3 years other than wear and tear and a delaminated stearing wheel been perfect Very Happy
 1996 Discovery 1 300TDI ES Biarritz Blue, sold
1999 Discovery 2 TD5 ES Rioja Red, sold
2002 Discovery 2 TD5 ES Buckingham Blue, sold
2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Adriatic Blue, sold
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Zambezi Silver, sold
2011 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE Nara Bronze, sold
2016 Volvo XC60 D5 AWD Lux Nav Twilight Bronze, sold
2020 Range Rover Evoque P250 First Edition, Nolita grey, sold
2023 Range Rover Evoque P300e Autobiography, Carpathian grey 

Post #7441369th Jan 2011 10:59 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
nickmak

Hey guys,

Would just like to inform you that I have received the money from my D3. I sold it to that familiar "We buy any car" place... Went to LPR first and they gave me a valuation of about 400 quid above the glasses guide prices of 16,100 pounds. With that famous website I got quite a substantial valuation and sold for a shade under 19,000 pounds. This is for a 4 owner (including me) 38,600 mile '05 reg Disco3. I guess I was quite lucky with the weather and all increasing the demand for these guys! I had to unfortunately sell the Disco as 'buffer money' because I'm really worried about my dad's health...

Anyway, feeling really heartbroken Big Cry and having withdrawal symptoms over the D3 I've decided to get a cheap 3-series so I won't put all the cash I've just received into a depreciating vehicle and the rest would go to my dad.

Hopefully all would be well and probably in a year or so I hope I can get myself back into a D3 again! Thumbs Up

Nick
Post #74524811th Jan 2011 11:25 pm
Discotres

Scotland 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Good luck mate. sorry to hear of the reasons, I am sure you will be back someday if that is what you want, thanks for the feedback Wink

Post #74525411th Jan 2011 11:28 pm
jojim65

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I would be very interested in your experience of webuyanycar....tempted to do the same with my wifes fiat 500

Post #74525611th Jan 2011 11:32 pm
nickmak

Discotres wrote:
Good luck mate. sorry to hear of the reasons, I am sure you will be back someday if that is what you want, thanks for the feedback Wink

I will definitely be back! Be it on a Discovery of some sort or a Defender with a roof-mounted GPMG attached! Thumbs Up
Post #74525911th Jan 2011 11:35 pm
nickmak

jojim65 wrote:
I would be very interested in your experience of webuyanycar....tempted to do the same with my wifes fiat 500

Contrary to a lot of negative feedback on we buy any car, I had a really good experience. Here's how it went:

I got a quote last Thursday from them of 19,250 given the mileage and the small dent on the lower tailgate. I was pretty surprised by the price because I was expecting about 16-17k as the glasses guide had given me that figure. I went down to LPR but unfortunately Jeremy couldn't match the quote I'd received and gave me an explanation why. He told me to go for it so I booked the appointment on a Sunday morning.

When the day came, I drove down to their Enfield site which was in CarCraft (Apparently they are a subsidiary of CarCraft after much digging up!) and was 'ushered' to their office. I waited for about 5 minutes for them to print off all my details and prepare for the inspection. The lady then asked me to show her the Disco. I had previously detailed the car so the paintwork was pristine so I think that made a good first impression. They are pretty sharp eyed as the lady noted two small dents which I had missed on the rear offside door. She then asked me to turn the engine on and looked around the engine compartment. The FBH turned on all of a sudden and she looked at the white smoke coming out and was about to make a note of it but I told her what it was and she left it.

That was the inspection done. Went back to the office and she made a few changes to the original quote and from 19,250 it dropped to 18,800 which I was expecting from them anyway. It was a big drop but was still nowhere near as low as glasses guide. I was actually prepared to leave it there and then but I asked them for some help if they can waive some of their admin charges. They gave me an extra 50 quid which was alright I guess and secured the deal there. I was given a few documents stating that I've sold my vehicle so on and so forth. All in all it took about 45 mins.

Here's a breakdown of the prices they would take out for each extra defect:

1) Each mile extra you've travelled = £0.10
2) A dent the size of a penny = £50
3) A dent the size of half a penny = £39
4) Scratch down to basecoat = £32
5) Admin Charge = £71.99
6) Next Working Day Payment (CHAPS) = £24.75

That's all I managed to see on the computer screen there. I guess if you bring in an expensive motor you get treated much better. Most people who've gotten bad service have gone in with old bangers which tbh I don't think they'd want it anyway.

Sorry for the long post but I hope this is helps you out with your 500 sale!

Nick Thumbs Up
Post #74526611th Jan 2011 11:50 pm
character

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

and I saw it at BCA Blackbushe today.... looking a wee bit dirty, along with two other HSE's in black, couple of GS's and a shed load of FFRR.... so going thru the sale room next week I recon Thumbs Up

Post #74526811th Jan 2011 11:53 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Be really interesting to see what it goes for..... Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #74527412th Jan 2011 12:01 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
nickmak

Wow... that was quick! Did you see if my disco3.co.uk sticker was still on the front windscreen? I really hope someone from the forum buys that D3... At least it'll be in good hands!

Also I was just going through my unopened mail and found my other disco3.co.uk sticker from Martin in it! Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry
Post #74527512th Jan 2011 12:03 am
THFC

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Well good luck with everything Nick Thumbs Up

Stay on here cos i'll be in touch when i'm up your way for some much needed cleaning of my D3 Thumbs Up
 PRIDE OF NORTH LONDON
AUDERE-EST-FACERE 

Post #74529012th Jan 2011 1:13 am
choppa60

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Very Happy Hi nickmac also in London , north London , ally pally way , got my d3 last summer and may need your services one day as well , got a fair bit of hedge rash down both sides , blooming off roading types , taking an expensive vehicle off road through bushes !!!!! Rolling with laughter Anyway they are not deep , polishing is not my thing so will need ya services , and you'll be back . Thumbs Up
 2008 ,hse, it does what it says .  
Post #74550812th Jan 2011 4:13 pm
nickmak

@THFC: Will still be on the forum frequently! Do keep in touch if you need my help!

@choppa60: Sure no problem mate! Give me a PM if you need me. Thumbs Up

Nick
Post #74551012th Jan 2011 4:17 pm
nickmak

Hey guys,

Just to update you, I have replaced my D3 with a BMW E92 320D coupe I bought at a decent price. The money I've received from the D3 will be able to pay off my insurance, extra warranty, AA cover and about 15k miles of diesel should it stay at this astronomical rate. I'd still have quite a bit left as my 'buffer' money and hopefully at the end of the month I would have another influx of cash which should help me should anything happen.

It's a completely different experience driving a car. With my D3 I could easily see all the road markings on the road. Last night I took a slip road near Watford and I couldn't see the lines on the inclined road. With the D3 I would have seen it miles away and braked but with the beemer I had to slam on the brakes. Confused

Just an insight to buying the BMW:

I had shortlisted two of the same cars which came out as the cheapest on AutoTrader. Went to the first dealer. Looked like one of 'em dodgy ones but I decided to get a look anyway. The sales guy had just sold an X3 (YUCK!) to a couple LIST PRICE??!!! Shocked

He took me round the coupe with about 34k on the clock and then when I asked about the price he exclaimed "There's no room for negotiation!".

Asking about any warranty on the vehicle he said there'd be no warranty on it unless I bought a 499 quid warranty package done by their company. What rubbish I thought. I gave him one last chance on his price by showing him my printouts from AutoTrader. He said that his car was the cheapest in the country, not even the north had the same car as cheap. Rolling with laughter

I then told the guy I'd rather go to a car supermarket at this rate. He said arrogantly "Go ahead, but I'm sure you'd be back on Monday!"

Sure enough I went to a very very large car supermarket (You should know which one I'm talking about) and found that I was lost for choice there and took my time to decide on the one I liked. In the end I had done the deal buying an ex-lease E92 coupe with 35k on the clock with a one year warranty included for 500 quid cheaper! Rolling with laughter

I've got to call the sales guy tomorrow to thank him for his advice. Mr. Green

Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to rant a bit on shoddy dealerships.

Nick Thumbs Up
Post #74793916th Jan 2011 10:53 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >