Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Cairns - Queensland - what to do and see.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
cold_n_wet

Norway 
Cairns - Queensland - what to do and see.

Looking at a 2 week trip down under, around Cairns, just in the planning stages, I found a company called Britz which rents 4WD, does anyone have experience of this company ? would prefer a Land Rover but havent found a company yet.

Also need some tips of things to see and do, 2 adults 2 kits 8 and 12. snorkling on the Great barrier reef is one of the things we want to do.

Glen
 IDTOOL PRO / Faultmate programing and BAS remaping services in Norway.
Diagnostic for most Land rover vehicles
Land Rover parts and accessories.
Stockist of RLD equipment.
www.praesto4x4.no
D4 gone, missed but replaced with a 110 Puma. 

Post #99528528th Oct 2012 5:27 pm
CGA

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

The wife and I returned to Oz in 2010 (honeymooned there in 1989) and spent about a week in Cairns. Had a great time, did the Kuranda trip; up on the train and back on the Skyrail cablecar; we did the organised thing and were picked up from the hotel, so didn't need a car.
For the reef, do the outer reef. There are several companies that do the fast catamaran's (such as Quicksilver), who take you out to a pontoon that you swim off, give you lunch etc. It's worth having a small group tour (there were 4 of us) with a guide who will swim round with you explaining whats what. It's all very safe, and you will be given the option of life jackets, stinger suits etc. When we went out it was overcast and squally, but we still got burnt.
Other things to do are the Atherton tablelands, Lake Barrine, Rainforestation (includes Aboriginal cultural experience), again we did the tour thing, but you can just go and drive it if you get a map/tour guide book
We also did a sunrise baloon trip, which was great, but be prepared to muck in folding the thing up after the (crash) landing.
If you haven't done it before, you must do the rainforrest thing; Cape Tribulation, and Daintree Ntional Park are the usual suspects. If you are DIYing it, be careful about what you touch, such as Poison Ivy, and the Stinging tree leaf.
Other than that, there is a great lido on the front for sunbathing/cooling off (bathing on the beach is not recommended), and loads of bars for cold beer (try the Pure Blond Naked; beer that is), along with a wide variety of restaurants.
Its a brilliant place, I would love to go back again myself, and you should have a ball.
 CGA  
Post #99626630th Oct 2012 9:49 pm
Redback

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

You can't go to Cairns and not go fishing, do a fishing charter, also do the Cooktown loop via The Lions Den, you'll need to hire a car/4WD for this.

Don't go to Cairns in our summer, April to September are the best times, hot is an understatement in summer up there 8)

Baz.
 2011 Discovery 4 TDV6 2.7l
Redback Country Camper Trailer
1973 Kawasaki H2 750 Triple
2002 TTR250 Yamaha
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand truly by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.
Peter Lalor 

Post #99635431st Oct 2012 2:46 am
cold_n_wet

Norway 

Thanks, looking at April for the trip.

Will look into the fishing, would love to do a days deep sea fishing and get some big fish.

Please keep the suggestions coming.

Glen
www.praesto4x4.no

Post #99637931st Oct 2012 8:48 am
ZacSmith

United Kingdom 

One of the best things I've ever done is white water rafting on the Tully River. It's a couple of hours on an organised coach from Cairns. I think I did it with Raging Thunder. It's absolutely brilliant, good for kids too, incredible scenery.

Port Douglas is well worth a trip - some very nice restaurants, a trip to the Rainforest habitat. Mossman Gorge is just north of Port Douglas and very beautiful short walk and paddle.

If it all goes wrong, Cairns Base Hospital has a very nice view and lovely nurses.
 VIN: A175A328***  
Post #99642431st Oct 2012 10:48 am
disco_potter

Australia 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

You won't find a hire company with LRs in Cairns - Britz hire Toyota Troopcarriers & I've seen a few VW Amaroks in Britz colour around town. April in Cairns is still wet season - it WILL rain & likely rain A LOT - this is the wettest region in Australia hence the fabulous rain forest. Don't worry though - it is hot & wet! It's also still in the Cyclone season & stinger season (nasty jellyfish in the sea). Most of the 4WDing will still be closed in the area as the roads get to be impassable. If you are planning to camp the best campsite in & around Cairns is at Ellis Beach (Google it). It's the only beach side camping close to Cairns & is stunning. I live in Cairns & we camp there regularly.

Things to do:
- Obviously the reef. If the weather's not flash & it's windy Green Island is the best bet - at least once you're out there you are on dry land. I was there last weekend & snorkelled with several turtles & even a black tip reef shark. If you come in April hire stinger suits for you & the family. Yes you look ridiculous but despite the nice things the previous poster put about Cairns Base Hospital (I work there so thanks Laughing ) you don't want to experience an Irukandji or Box Jelly fish sting (probably best NOT to Google these!) Big Cry
- Cape Tribulation & Daintree - as the tourist bits state - "where the rainforest meets the reef" - it is stunning. If you go to Cape Trib you must do Jungle Surfing (Google it)
- The Skyrail & Kuranda train - if the sun is shining there are few better views anywhere
- Atherton Tablelands - very scenic with good camping - Granite Gorge is always popular with the kids & has good camping facilities

A little further afield:
* Mission Beach (2h south) - good caravan / camping parks
* Cooktown (5-6h north) - if you have a 4WD & the Bloomfield track is open (again Google it) is worth pushing on to Cooktown from Cape Trib - it's a reasonably straight-forward drive but April will likely see it closed or very tricky! Worth stopping at the Lions Den Hotel (pub) just South of Cooktown to experience a 'real' Aussie pub
* Undara Experience (5h inland) - amazing Lava Tubes in remote outback - you really feel like you are in the middle of nowhere. Not cheap to stay here but good facilities & do the Lava tubes & evening wildlife walks - fantastic experience
* Magnetic Island - a ferry ride over from Townsville (5h South) - a great place to kick back for a few days

Disclaimer: I have no interest in any tourism facilities! (Just in case you thought this was too glowing!) Wink
 Discovery 3 SE 2009
Track Trailer Tvan Murranji 2012 Camper Trailer 

Last edited by disco_potter on 4th Nov 2012 9:49 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #9980024th Nov 2012 8:49 am
cold_n_wet

Norway 

Brilliant thank you for the infomation.

Glen
www.praesto4x4.no

Post #9981524th Nov 2012 3:50 pm
disco_potter

Australia 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

Glen

Should have said before - pm me for further info
 Discovery 3 SE 2009
Track Trailer Tvan Murranji 2012 Camper Trailer 

Post #9983344th Nov 2012 9:47 pm
Tomcat 106

United Kingdom 
+1 for Port Douglas!!

ZacSmith wrote:
One of the best things I've ever done is white water rafting on the Tully River. It's a couple of hours on an organised coach from Cairns. I think I did it with Raging Thunder. It's absolutely brilliant, good for kids too, incredible scenery.

Port Douglas is well worth a trip - some very nice restaurants, a trip to the Rainforest habitat. Mossman Gorge is just north of Port Douglas and very beautiful short walk and paddle.

If it all goes wrong, Cairns Base Hospital has a very nice view and lovely nurses.

Highly recommend "breakfast with the birds" at the rainforest habitat - quite a bizzare experience. We also did the early balloon flight ( at dawn in June..there was bloody frost on the grass Laughing ) we also did a 1 day off road tour in the rainforest, no Land Rovers unfortunately but the guide who took us gave his Land Crxxr absolute hell. Totally different experience to driving Strata Florida!!

Also recommend Hartleys Crocodile Farm. Awesome - Google it youll never get closer to one and live I can asure you!!

We also went out to the Barrier Reef but not on Quicksilver - some have said there are so many people out there it can spoil the experience. We went by sailing catermeran to the inner reef and had the whole thing to ourselves and basked in the sun on the way back.

Honeymoon holiday so unlikely to ever get the chance to do it again.

Post #100309013th Nov 2012 10:35 pm
cold_n_wet

Norway 

Guys

I appreciate all the help and advice, unfortunately the budget wont stretch this year, so we have now booked tickets for South Africa.

Again many thanks

Glen
www.praesto4x4.no

Post #10160028th Dec 2012 10:21 pm
RLD
Uncle Ray 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

just as good Thumbs Up
 Home of RLD Hidden winch mounts Spare wheel Locks Trailer Body Fabrication [email protected] D3/4 sump plates MY 14 sump plates and the Discovery Sport wheel protectors Discovery 5 wheel locks
more Helsport tents and other things for camping Law of Mechanical Repair:
"After your hands are coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee!" 

Post #10160839th Dec 2012 9:46 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >