Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Calcium Batteries
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Alex08

Scotland 
Calcium Batteries

Prompted by a discussion on another fourm, what is the issue with battery chargers and Calcium batteries? Is the chemistry more exciting? Is it just that they require a more controlled charge or do they need a higher voltage to charge, and how does the alternator charge the one in the car without the hi-tec electronic control if it takes a fancy bench charger to do the job.

Will a charger that does gel batteries also do calcium or what? This seems to be causing confusion as buying a calcium battery from halfords (not for a d3) there is no mention of a specific charger needed for this - just the increased power etc that is gained.

Post #1756149th Jul 2007 3:13 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic11925.h...um+charger

I think they charge at a higher voltage and rate, but the ones in the link above will do all types.
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #1756249th Jul 2007 6:54 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Alex08

Scotland 

Thanks Bodsy. However my question was one of these "but why?" things. I'm sure someone must know....

Post #1756499th Jul 2007 7:57 am
Ocsid

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Some part of your quest might be answered by this link;
http://www.battery.co.za/auto/Q&ACalciumRange.htm

My search on this subject seems to suggest that most vehicles these days have "calcium" batteries [OEM] as they give some valuable advantages. They have a low self drain so are suitable for delivery and stock holding delays such as cars sent from Japan and they need only about 10% of the in-service top up water of more conventional batteries. A normal older generation 14.2 volt charger would I suspect charge it but not fully as the calcium needs 14.8volts, I cant see it doing any harm unless its a particuarly "fast" charger which I would personally avoid.

I leave mine coupled via its White tow socket to a CTEK 3600 charger whilst I am aboard for extended periods and its been fine as far as I can see.

Post #1756969th Jul 2007 9:31 am
drivesafe

Australia 

You really need to get the specific info on a given battery from that battery’s manufacturer’s web site as there are considerable differences between different makes of calcium batteries and one of the main factors to take into consideration when charging any battery but more so with a calcium battery is ambient temperature.

Most specs, relating to charging requirements, are based on room temperatures of 20 to 25 degrees C and this is usually not the engine bay temperature.

Best to look up the specs for your individual battery.

Cheers
 2008 TDV8 RR Lux + 2009 D4 2.7  
Post #1757539th Jul 2007 11:58 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >