Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

Calling All GVIF Owners
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Oztourer

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Calling All GVIF Owners

I fitted a GVIF unit a little while back so I could run a reversing camera on the factory 7" screen. The camera works fine however I can no longer use the factory Satnav. 4x4 Info works however when I select Navigation the screen goes blank. The instructions for setting these units up is pretty ordinary. Is losing Satnav an artefact of installing a GVIF or is there a dip switch or software setting I'm missing? I have a V7.2 unit.
Cheers
Matt.

Post #18337255th Jul 2017 4:28 am
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

If the SatNav worked previously it should work now, does the Rev camera operate on screen only when you select reverse?
There are dip switches but they should not need altering as they can be a real pain to set up, any alterations to them must be followed by allowing the car to go to "sleep".
Check that all plugs are push fully home from the satnav and you have not fitted the cable plug the wrong way round (upside down) which is possible.
You can have upto 4 different sources of AV input all working on different channels, i.e. TV, dab radio, front camera, USB. The unused input channels can also be disabled.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #18337355th Jul 2017 7:33 am
Oztourer

Sat Nav worked fine before and when I unplug the GVIF it still,works. The reverse camera switches on as expected when in reverse. Interestingly, if I switch dip switch #7, the rev camera stops working and Satnav works again! Apparently switches 5 and 6 configure the unit for Land Rover but as I said, the instructions are not very helpful.

Post #18337445th Jul 2017 7:48 am
blueanchorinn
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

I have found the plug into the satnav unit works loose sometimes
 Pot Noodle Challenge Winner 2011
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person 

Post #18338705th Jul 2017 2:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MorganD379

Wales 

Same here, loose plug after the kids have been kicking the mats around....

Post #18339215th Jul 2017 5:06 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Did you connect the canbus wires as well or not?
Post a pic up of the box dipswitch settings. Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #18340576th Jul 2017 1:39 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Oztourer

I'll check connector between GPS and GVIF again and see how I go. CAN bus connected and working. All dip switches are on excerpt 5&6 which are off. I'll keep playing and let you know how I go. Thanks for the input so far.

Post #18340646th Jul 2017 5:40 am
M3DPO

Post #18340976th Jul 2017 9:14 am
comedyharvey

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I seem to recall that when I fitted mine some years back that the dipwsitch settings in the instructions were wrong, certainly for the Discovery, and that there was discussion and the right answer on here.

Edit; cross posting with above post. Those instructions are probably right, mine was fitted a good while back.
 Arthur.
Comedy was a horse, Harvey a dog, both sadly gone. Thought I was choosing a password!

Currently;
Discovery 3 HSE 2009
101" Fwd. Control 1976
Nuffield 10/90 Tractor (10/60 with 6 cylinder conversion) 1964

Previously;
Series III Lightweight. 1976. 

Post #18340996th Jul 2017 9:17 am
M3DPO

I suspect switch no.6 is your problem, remember the park brake light must go out after making a change, write down what you have changed very easy to forget after you had 5/6 attempts.
As you can see from the above photo you only need the AV inputs enabled (down)that you use as you cannot go back when changing with the dash switch only forwards.
If you have not touched any dip switches while fitting your camera and connected it with the gray rear camera input wire they are not the problem.
The dip switches are very complicated to understand, whilst you say 5 and 6 are off I assume you mean they are pointing up.
The grey reverse wire over rides every thing, when you select reverse and you have your camera on screen the screen is still alive and you can for instance press the accept caution button Thumbs Up
Another thought, have fitted the AV input switch?- if you have try scrolling through all the inputs, the satnav may be on a different input to what is now displaying.

Post #18342246th Jul 2017 2:43 pm
Oztourer

To recap, I have grey reverse wire and can bus hooked up, I have RGB and 3 AV inputs disabled dip switches 1-4 ON, switched 5,6 OFF for Land Rover mode and Switch 7 ON for External Camera. With this configuration I get the reverse camera coming on correctly when in reverse. When not in reverse, I can press the select switch on the factory screen and toggle back to the LR display (Navigation, 4x4. Info and Settings) page. I press the 4x4 info icon and get the 4x4 page. Correct page also for settings however the Navigation icon takes me to a blank screen. The interesting thing is that when I have switch 7 on the GVIF switched to OFF (OEM reverse camera), the Nav screen starts working again!
I've had another think about things and I'm wondering if my unrelated tinkering with my Nanocom has created this problem. Whilst going over my CCF settings for another upgrade I'm looking at doing, I noticed I had the setting for park assist camera set to enabled (I think I did it a while back when I was playing). When I get some time over the weekend I'll disable the camera and update the CCF to see if that's the problem and repot back. Thanks for everyone's input again.
Cheers.

Post #18345197th Jul 2017 2:01 pm
M3DPO

I would enable all av inputs until you get it working, you may be using a input that is disabled.
You could also connect a new input up from any device that has got a av output, it doesn't need to be 12v to test it.
I can't get at mine to look at the settings as it is fixed under the seat.

Post #18345447th Jul 2017 3:03 pm
Tufty

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I thought they recommend not to connect up the can bus?

Post #18345547th Jul 2017 3:53 pm
M3DPO

The only reason the CAN bus is not recommended is ease of use not reliability, the switch is more convenient, everyone who has tried it has gone back to the switch.

As you can see from the photo below how the switch operation appears to be upside down, whilst down enables the function it actually turns it off to make it active. Shocked

Another possibility worth trying if all else fails, the red and yellow cables are swapped position, this needs doing if the OEM display does not show Thumbs Up

LVDS cable top right on photo.

Post #18346067th Jul 2017 6:54 pm
Oztourer

Ok. I've got it sorted. Thanks everyone (especially MD3PO) for your responses. Turns out I was close but a combination of poor documentation, incorrect assumptions and me possibly overthinking things!!
Once I received confirmation from you fine folk that what I wanted to do was actually doable, I went back to basics, checking connections and settings again. I was pretty much ther however I found two problems. The first was a software setup whereby I had OEM SKIP set to ON. This was probably caused the unit to ignore the OEM gps. The second problem is one I still don't have an answer for. When I first installed the rear camera, I ran a wire from the reverser light in the rear to the GVIF and hooked up the the grey rear wire to provide the reverse sensing input. I then supplied power to the camera from the SEL-OUT output of the GVIF. this is where my assumptioning and poor documentation got the better of me. (My) logic dictated that the GVIF switches 12v to one of the three outputs (NAVI, REAR or AV1) based on what the function being called on would be (eg reverse or av1 input). REAR did not seem to work so I used NAVI. Although I still don't understand why, this is why I could get the rear view camera to work OR the factory Satnav to work via the changing of dip switch 7 but not both together (possibly this combined with the fore mentioned OEM SKIP setting). Anyway, I've now used the 12v rear select input power to supply the rear camera as well as the GVIF input and I now have the rear camera working when in reverse and I can also use my factory Satnav. Happy days!! It would be nice to know whether the SEL-OUT function should be the right think to use. I've tried contraction the support guys at car-solutions but haven't heard back.
Thanks again.
Matt.

Post #183525410th Jul 2017 7:28 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >