Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Calling International Rescue...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
FamilyMan

Calling International Rescue...

A noisy gush of air from the rear of the car followed by the engine bogging down and stuttering, luckily only a few miles from base. LR assist on the way. What could it be this time? The suspension didn't drop and it lowered fine when it was parked. Has the car finally blown up Sad . Only 1900 miles on the clock. A bit worried about it to say the least.
 2005 TDV6 SE Silver/Black Manual + Alpine  
Post #153817th Mar 2005 2:12 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Doesn't sound too good Sad

Hopefully LR assist will know what's up, unfortunately there's not a lot of info or knowledge out about the D3 or the TDV6 yet Sad

Post #153917th Mar 2005 2:25 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
FamilyMan

LR assist fixed it. This is definately one for the database of problems & fixes.

Basically the intercooler hose had popped off the intercooler pipe. This is accessed under the front bumper behind the access panel and heatshield on the passenger side..next to the FBH exhaust pipe.

In my case the clip that holds the hose onto the pipe had been over tightened at the factory which distorted the metal pipe on the intercooler. This was enough for the hose and clip to slip off.

We raised the vehicle to full height and the mechanic fixed the hose back on with a fresh clip but has suggested that the intercooler is replaced.

If your in any doubt about whether you have the same problem you'll know from the reduced power and the traffic stopping black clouds of soot billowing out the exhaust under acceleration.
 2005 TDV6 SE Silver/Black Manual + Alpine  
Post #154117th Mar 2005 4:08 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

So an actual mechanical fault not an electrical one Surprised

Glad they got it sorted, will stick it in the faults list once my work crisis is over..

Post #154817th Mar 2005 6:33 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

A very similar thing happened to me with a brand new Range Rover TD6. I had just picked the car up from the dealer and was driving it home by the scenic route. Just at the top of a series of steep hairpins (Hartside Pass) the engine suddenly lost 80% of its power, threw out lots of black smoke and sounded very unhappy. I honestly thought I had just blown up the most expensive car engine I had ever bought ! There is no mobile phone reception there so I had to freewheel the beast almost 6 miles down hill to Alston. The Landrover Assistance mechanic diagnosed it as a faulty clip that held the turbo pipe in place. No Turbo equals virtually no power and a seriously over fueled and unhappy engine. No harm was done, (although I never trusted the vehicle after that and sold her after less than 6 months). The TDv6 in the D3 is a far far better engine !
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #155117th Mar 2005 8:49 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

My father had a similar thing on his new Jaguar a few years ago, it was not a turbo, or intercooler, but the pipe from the air filter to the engine became detached whilst going at high speed along a motorway! the result was a spectacular noise and sudden loss of power, with many warning lights.

He thought it had blown up big style, but was very relieved when Mr RAC told him what had really happened.

Post #155418th Mar 2005 8:38 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >