Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Irish Rover

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

And yet another who is interested!

Post #8925063rd Feb 2012 5:19 pm
moorman

Wales 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

OK you've convinced me will do some pics over the weekend and post as soon as possible - not posted pics before are there any do's and don'ts.
I choose to use a separate monitor so I could use the sat nav at all times but then found Disco sat nav not that good and use TomTom for navigation and in car sat nav zoomed out for planning ahead. Does mean I can keep camera on overhead screen all the time as well.

Post #8925303rd Feb 2012 6:21 pm
al cope

England 

thats OK, as I want to keep my nav screen, so I'm looking at a separate screen for the vancam (can I trademark that Thumbs Up )

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #8925913rd Feb 2012 8:47 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
moorman

Brill I think that's great Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #8926003rd Feb 2012 8:59 pm
anglefire

England 

I have a twin channel monitor that clips over the rear view mirror - I'm still in the process of installing everything - though have got the reversing camera working - £18 ebay job.

My plan is to fit the wireless reciever in the back of the car - LHS cubby as that is where I've pulled the wires to, then fit the sender in the front locker of the caravan - to keep the wireless distance to a minimum - if that doesn't work, I'll find a way of hard wiring it afterwards.
 Mark.
2006, D3 SE Auto - gone but not forgotten.
2014 BMW 530d M Sport Tourer.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Post #8926213rd Feb 2012 9:15 pm
wvlenthe

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hi all,

I have a camera installed at the rear of my caravan and a wireless connection to the car.

Got all the gear from hids4u.
The wireless sender receiver thing does not have enough range to have a proper image from the back of the van to the car. So I ran a cable from the back of the van to the gas bottle area up front. The transmitter is located there, powered from the caravan power net that also powers the lights.

The receiver is behind the headlining over the tailgate, powered all the time although I have a switch installed so I can cut the power to it.

I have a gvif mounted which lets me choose whether to view the rear view camera on the car or the one on the caravan. The image is displayed on the satnav screen.

I do not use it but for reversing. The camera angle on the one I have is too small to give an image useable for viewing what's happening around you. Although viewing whilst reversing was my first objective, if I had to do it again I would choose a camera with wider angle.

Although the wireless link gives some noise when at driving speed, I would not consider a cable link as most certainly I would forget unplugging it at some point. If I would use it more like a surround camera and have it on all the time, a cable link would be more desirable.

The whole setup consists of r/v camera on the car, transmitter-receiver, camera on the caravan and the gvif and cost me about 220 pounds if memory serves right.

Always willing to answer any questions.
Regards,

Wiljo
 D3 V8 HSE Auto in Zermatt silver - driveway version gone but not forgotten, only the living room cupboard version remains  
Post #8926293rd Feb 2012 9:26 pm
Chippy

England 

Vancam! what a great idea Thumbs Up that would save "her in doors" waving her arms about Laughing

Post #8928074th Feb 2012 11:35 am
al cope

England 

yep - erindoorscam doesnt have the same ring to it, does it Laughing

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #8928804th Feb 2012 3:27 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
moorman

Have placed pictures in my gallery (unsure of how to place in message yet need advice please).
Image 0332 shows rear camera pointed down to be able to see the back lower corners of the caravan.
Image 0333 shows side mounted camera on a stainless plate (wasn't enough depth to skirt to attach it there. The camera is adjustable in the horizontal plane but for vertical you have to place correctly by drilling hole for wire and linking a monitor to see the view and drilling screw holes when you can just see the ground and see maximum above ground.
Image 0335 is the 13 pin socket on car, there is obviously a plug on the caravan and after I had identified the colour coding of the wires I made the relevant connections after routing all wires to the front locker box. The wires from the socket are routed into the left hand side lower access area and then find their way to underneath the centre middle row seat to meet the junction box.
Image 0341 is the junction box which has all three cameras connected (will take 4 camera ) I've taken it's power supply from the rear power socket which I can disconnect when not using.
Image 0337 is the camera controller - just press the button of the camera required. The controller is loose at the moment and sits in front of gearstick area but intend to attack sticky velcro and attach to dash at a suitable place. Did think about a quad display but like my pictures big.
Image 0338 is the monitor in it's viewing position, slightly tilted to the driver. To fit this I removed the interior light unit and marked the position in the headlining for the 4 screws and just made some very small holes in the headlining and used very thin screws and very large penny washers on top of the lining to help support the unit which is very light. The wires are routed above the headlining to the A pillar, down the A pillar behind the rubber trim and onto the knee panel then they continue down the A pillar and run under the sill trim panel to just in front of the seat where they meet a feed from the junction box. I also have my disco reversing camera feeding in at this point as well as the monitor takes 2 feeds.
Image 0339 shows monitor from a distance.
Image 0342 shows the monitor in the closed position.
The cameras, controller, junction box and wires are by P.S.V.T. and as I got the kit some 3-4 years ago I cannot remember where from. The monitor was a separate purchase.
Just realised the image numbers don't appear in gallery - damn - I'm sure you can understand.
Quality of picture not good as from I phone it was -5degrees this morning and my SLR might protest.
If you need better images I'll wait for a slightly warmer day.
For me this gives me the best scenario but others will customise to their own preferences. This didn't require any interference with sat nav screen and most people who have seen it think it's great (especially the arm waving chief).

Post #8929584th Feb 2012 6:49 pm
wvlenthe

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

See my gallery for a suggestion on operating button placement, cannot get it pasted in from iPad.
They are on the front of the center cubby box.

Wiljo
 D3 V8 HSE Auto in Zermatt silver - driveway version gone but not forgotten, only the living room cupboard version remains  
Post #8929814th Feb 2012 7:37 pm
anglefire

England 

Moorman, just grab the BBCode and paste it in:

Mark.

Post #8929974th Feb 2012 8:07 pm
moorman

Thanks for that Thumbs Up
When you say grab I presume you mean select and copy then paste Bow down

Post #8930014th Feb 2012 8:23 pm
anglefire

England 

Yes Thumbs Up
 Mark.

Post #8930494th Feb 2012 9:53 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >