Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

camera for seeing behind caravan
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
al cope

England 
camera for seeing behind caravan

I'm just about to take delivery of the first 'van we've had that has a solid rear panel (no back window). I always use towing mirrors on both sides, but wondered about getting something like one of these to fit to the rear of the 'van, not to use as a reversing camera, but to leave on all the while when towing to see whats directly behind the 'van

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-4G-GPS-Wireles...3f1151b177

doesnt have to be this one, just thought wireless would be less hassle then having to run a feed through from the 'van.

anyone else use something like this?

Cheers
Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #8916271st Feb 2012 4:16 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Frapp

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

This is cheaper Laughing

http://www.safetysignsandnotices.co.uk/product/1191/If-you-can't-see-my-mirrors-I-can't-see-you.html
 Member of the carrot crank club

Embarrassingly in for the 2nd round, bought another two

D3 Jack Russell carrier
D4 Landmark for towing duties 

Post #8916321st Feb 2012 4:23 pm
al cope

England 

i'm not wooried about backing into something - if you are stupid enough to stand behind me, I'll get you whatever - its just I want to see what I'm hitting, or what might be following me Laughing

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker

Post #8916371st Feb 2012 4:31 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

wireless are a bit crap especially at the sort of distance you will have. I know it says 100m but in practive it doesnt work like that. I had lots of interference and the picture kept getting scrambled with other wireless cameras i passed ie cctv i think it must have been

I now have a hard wired infrared camera connected to a mirror monitor Thumbs Up
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #8917121st Feb 2012 6:17 pm
al cope

England 

Hi Dunc

did you use one of the spare connections in one of the 12S or 12N plugs for the video feed into the car?

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark

Post #8917521st Feb 2012 7:14 pm
moorman

Wales 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I've fitted three cameras on my caravan - rear, o/side and n/side so I can see when I'm reversing even round corners. they are hard wired to a 13 pin at the front of the caravan and I have a 13 pin on the adjustable tow ball. They run into a power source which plugs into rear cargo cig lighter and accepts the three feeds and there is a button pad where I can or the chief can select the camera required. They display on a drop down monitor attached to the headlining just behind the interior light. I can see the tyres on the caravan while I am driving using the side view and they are brilliant when reversing as you can see the side that in a normal mirror application becomes blind. Also very useful when pulling out from a tight corner and the rear swings out because you can see before you hit. The rear camera is pointing downwards but has quite a wide viewing angle, I have it set so that I can just see the back of the van. Did think to put a twin lens camera on the back but decided to stick with this set up. I also have a camera on the back of the Disco for hitching up so chief doesn't have to guide me!!!!! this also feeds into the drop down monitor.
I have used wireless cameras in a static situation and they work OK but am not sure what they would be like in a moving environment. Hope this helps.

Post #8922132nd Feb 2012 7:45 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

moorman wrote:
I've fitted three cameras on my caravan - rear, o/side and n/side so I can see when I'm reversing even round corners. they are hard wired to a 13 pin at the front of the caravan and I have a 13 pin on the adjustable tow ball. They run into a power source which plugs into rear cargo cig lighter and accepts the three feeds and there is a button pad where I can or the chief can select the camera required. They display on a drop down monitor attached to the headlining just behind the interior light. I can see the tyres on the caravan while I am driving using the side view and they are brilliant when reversing as you can see the side that in a normal mirror application becomes blind. Also very useful when pulling out from a tight corner and the rear swings out because you can see before you hit. The rear camera is pointing downwards but has quite a wide viewing angle, I have it set so that I can just see the back of the van. Did think to put a twin lens camera on the back but decided to stick with this set up. I also have a camera on the back of the Disco for hitching up so chief doesn't have to guide me!!!!! this also feeds into the drop down monitor.
I have used wireless cameras in a static situation and they work OK but am not sure what they would be like in a moving environment. Hope this helps.

This sounds good, have you got any photos of the set up, could you supply details of the units, cameras etc you have used for the job Thumbs Up
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #8923153rd Feb 2012 12:23 am
Russell

United Kingdom 

moorman wrote:

Could you post some pictures please and details about the equipment you have used. Thumbs Up
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #8923163rd Feb 2012 12:28 am
devonchilliman

England 

+2 Thumbs Up ,also very interested
 Www.devonchilliman.co.uk  
Post #8923203rd Feb 2012 4:36 am
al cope

England 

seems like this thread was worth starting Thumbs Up

As I'm changing over to the 13pin scocket, I was just thinking about using a 7N socket (as I now have a spare one Whistle) to use for the camera connection.

I've seen camera's for 12 quid, and 4.5" screens going for 20 quid, so shouldnt be an expensive thing to set up.

al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark

Post #8923413rd Feb 2012 8:25 am
mark the spark

2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

come on moorman post your kit list installers guide and some pics Thumbs Up

sounds like just what im looking for.

im sure if we ask nicely wiggs could sus an interface to the satnav screen Very Happy
 MY05 SE D3 Manual my first LR what a car
MY10 HSE D4 auto
MY14 XXV more buttons than the spaceshuttle 

Post #8923453rd Feb 2012 8:39 am
D4mation

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Another vote for the kit list, wiring, and piccies. Bow down
I'm sure there are other interested vanners.
 MY12 D4 HSE Ipanema Sand  
Post #8924063rd Feb 2012 12:01 pm
Richc

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Yes please would be very interested Very Happy

Post #8924123rd Feb 2012 12:14 pm
kevinreeves

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Interested too............ Thumbs Up

Post #8924193rd Feb 2012 12:52 pm
Thelo3

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

yes very interested............... Thumbs Up

Post #8924243rd Feb 2012 1:01 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >