Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Camper Trailers
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Martin Krutli

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Camper trailers

Most of the serious off-road hard floor campers are good. We researched hard before we bought our Camp-o-matic some 4-5 years ago and since then it's been most places a 4wd can go (with the exception of the Simpson). Main factors for choosing it were, light ball weight (actually Treg Hitch, well built, good size water tank, nice kitchen set-up and good power system. In the time we've had it we have had zero problems with it and it still doen't leak a drop of water in the pouring rain.

Suspension is absolutely critical and independent is far better than beam axle (which I think the Adventure still stick with). Beam axles are not good on very rocky terrain as they significantly restrict the useful ground clearance. Ease of setting up an annex is good - but most of the time when you're travelling you won't need one - and when you're stopped for a few days the extra 20mins doesn't really matter anyway.

Cheers,
Martin
 MY08 TDV6 SE. White/Alpaca. BFG265/65/18 At's
Autologic, Trackside Dual Battery syst., Remote GME UHF, 4X4 Intelligence rear wheel carrier, Boab removable rear drawer system w National Luna fridge, Mitchell Bros hitch.
Rasta Plate. 110L LRA long-range fuel tank. 

Post #44769531st Mar 2009 10:51 pm
WayneD

Location: Sydney Darwin ,Singapore, USA, UK and now country NSW

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

we are going to hire a Camp-o-matic from Challenge campers at Rydalmere to test it out. Unfortunately could not get one for Easter, but will try to get down to the Wollondilly in next couple of weeks. The Mitchell Bros hitch is attached and awaiting its first test.
 Take the road less traveled. Dual battery system.ORS drawers,LR cargo Barrier.ARB Bull bar,side protection bars,Mickey Thompson ATR's 17" rims, Rear wheel carrier, radiator guard TPMS Mitchell Bros Tow Hitch LR RAI Steel Rims , GME UHF, Off Road GPS, Llams (yet to be fitted)  
Post #44770831st Mar 2009 11:20 pm
mtb

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Thanks everyone for all your information - if there are any more comments please keep them coming.

I am certainly planning on going to the Caravan and Camping show in Sydney - see whats on offer first hand.

IanR, Pericles, John 58, Gabbs, Martin K - what are the ball weight estimates for your trailers when loaded up. Some of the trailers seem to have quite high ball weights which may make them a bit difficult to man-handle if required, especially if the ground is soft.

WayneD - let me know how the hire camper goes if you dont mind - I expect I will take this path initially. I hope that hiring will let me know what items / designs are good / neccessary. It is a big investment - you dont buy a car without test driving it. I have the 4WD action magazine this month - it hightlights how many campers there are to choose from - the camping show is a must to see properly.
I hope the Mitch Hitch goes well - it is on my list of things to get soon - I am sick of the plough.

IanR - I checked out your gallery and the Kimberley trip - looks excellent.

again - thanks everyone for all your input. This forum has been a great resource.

regards Bow down Thumbs Up

mtb
 HSE TDV6 Silver. Roof rails, Adaptive lights, electronic diff. Now its time to add a few extra bits..... Dual Battery setup, Rhino Roof Racks, UHF / VHF radio, ARB bar and winch, custom storage..by me ... Now trying some Grabber AT2's.  
Post #4479571st Apr 2009 1:38 pm
Martin Krutli

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Camper Trailers

Hi MTB.

Also check my Gallery for Photos. Ball weight was an important consideration when we looked and Campomatic had one of the lightest - from memory about 60Kgs. They put the water tank at the back and this acts as a balancing counterweight. Batteries are over the axle line.

Certainly try and hire a few and wee what works for you - we all have different requirements. We hired an Adventure a couple of times and didn't particularly like it, even though it's well built.

Mitchell hitch is the only way to go. Camper sits absolutely parallel to the road with it and tows perfectly. It pitched and moved around more with the 'plough'.

Cheers.
 MY08 TDV6 SE. White/Alpaca. BFG265/65/18 At's
Autologic, Trackside Dual Battery syst., Remote GME UHF, 4X4 Intelligence rear wheel carrier, Boab removable rear drawer system w National Luna fridge, Mitchell Bros hitch.
Rasta Plate. 110L LRA long-range fuel tank. 

Post #4482431st Apr 2009 11:03 pm
ianv

Australia 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Tvan

Hi Mtb

SWMBO and I hired a TVAN for a week last year,from the Canberra distributor. It was great to tow and handled even heavy corrugations well.

Only downside was the sleeping area was a bit cramped for my 6 foot frame. We decidied it was NQR for us but after the experience I'd recommend renting anything you thought was good before you buy.

We hired from http://www.independenttrailers.com.au/tvan_hire.htm and they were very helpful people.

Pics in my Gallery. Went perfectly with the Mitchell Brothera hitch.
Ianv Smile
 TDV6  
Post #4489383rd Apr 2009 11:29 am
davidedwardmawer

France 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

If anybody knows of a Tvan for sale in Europe let me know please.
 33370 Fargues Saint Hilaire  
Post #12784452nd May 2014 1:11 pm
Brucehun

South Africa 2010 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4
Offroad trailers

This is one of the best we have in South Africa.also has a built in 110l water tank, deep cycle battery, gas geyser. Made of stainless steel.

Post #12787592nd May 2014 10:18 pm
disco_potter

Australia 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

This post has been resurrected after a few years!

We bought a Track Trailer TVAN Murranji III 2 years ago & absolutely love it. Go anywhere, tows like a dream, no wet canvas over beds (useful in Far North Queensland) and makes camping as a family a breeze - Dad, SWMBO & 2 girls age 7 & 5. We bought from Horizon Campers in Townsville who also will hire TVANs out.

2 words of warning though.
1. The original tow hitch ('The plough') is pants. It sets the tow height too low for an off road camper trailer & even with off-road height setting on the air suspension on the Disco I was stuck once with being unable to raise the jockey wheel without having to dig a hole underneath it! All fixed with the Mitchell Bros hitch. A necessary investment for anyone who tows I think.
2. A good number of the 'high-end' camper trailers use LED brake & indicator lights. These aren't picked up by the wiring loom of the Disco as the resistance is too low so you need an inline booster. I got mine from Labtronx.com.au (the pulse buster) and had it installed into the trailer wiring. If you are planning to hire a trailer you will need to ensure that the trailer you're hiring will have functioning lights and may need to provide something like this. There are a few variations on the theme that can be placed ad-hoc in line with the trailer plug.

Attached are a couple of pics of the trailer; one attached to the car & one set up at camp.

You won't look back. As far as I am aware they are only available in Australia. I'm not sure whether design regulations in the EU would restrict import.

www.tracktrailer.com.au

P.S. I have no financial attachments to Track Trailer - just a satisfied camper!

Discovery 3 SE 2009
Track Trailer Tvan Murranji 2012 Camper Trailer 

Last edited by disco_potter on 15th May 2014 11:45 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #128435715th May 2014 1:53 am
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Re: Offroad trailers

Brucehun wrote:
This is one of the best we have in South Africa.also has a built in 110l water tank, deep cycle battery, gas geyser. Made of stainless steel.

Is there a manufaturer name on those canvas door pockets ?
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #128439115th May 2014 8:17 am
Brucehun

South Africa 2010 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4
Canvas

Wigge, they are locally made here in South Africa by a small company called Ultimate Overland.

Post #128930426th May 2014 1:19 pm
davidedwardmawer

France 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

or here:
http://www.tentco.co.za/products/bags/vehicle-bags.html
 33370 Fargues Saint Hilaire  
Post #130451229th Jun 2014 5:58 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >