DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Can a 2nd hand 2005 model be trusted?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
SGK

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4
Can a 2nd hand 2005 model be trusted?

Hi everyone,
having studied this and other info on the Internet re Discovery 3 I am now very, very close to getting one (may be as early as next week Smile ).
However I am considering a 2nd hand 2005 model or a brand new Disco (2005 or 2006).
Can a 2005 Disco be trusted? Is there a cut-off date at which the major issues were fixed?
Anything specific to look out for?
I.e. it seems to me the main mechanical problems in early models where problems with the fuel tank design and the compressors for the suspension. Are they resolved in the 2005 models? Are there any other major issues to check out (apart from the tailgate struts Smile )?
There are some good deals around on 2005 models (even some brand new ones). But am concerned there is a reason for it. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Smile
sgk
 Prado Grande --> D3 --> D4 ... its getting better all the time Smile  
Post #6305110th Jun 2006 11:42 pm
zebadee

Ireland 

I can only offer an opinion based on my own personal experience.

I have my D3 for a little over a year now. In that time the only issues I have had were, the sinking drivers seat, annoying, but not earth stopping. Also the erroneous warning of “Low Coolant Level” which was fixed by my dealer during a regular service, under warranty.

Again a small annoyance & nothing to fret about.

So I can only say that my 2005 Disco 3 is faultless !!

I feel that on forums you can get a skewed view of a vehicle, as we are prone to writing or reporting on the problems, but I think there a very few reports of all the cars that are not having issues. If you were to visit any car owner forum, I’d say you’d see a similar raft of problems & disasters. Too few of us & I include myself here, write about all the good stuff, it’s only when something goes wrong, we get typing.

Anyway I feel that with the ever growing complexity of cars these days, there’s always going to be issues.

As the old saying goes……”They just don’t make ‘em like they used to !”

I’d say go for it, buy your 2005 Disco & enjoy it. 8)

Post #6305411th Jun 2006 2:33 am
mcowell

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hi SGK - I'd second Zebadee's comments. We bought our D3 from MLR in Docklands, and have got 25K up so far. couple of smsall issues, but easily fixed by the dealer during routine servicing. We had much more trouble with our WH Statesman!

This has to be the best 4WD we've ever owned. We were long term Nissan guys, with 710K on one, and 486K on the other, but this is light years ahead of the other contenders) 80/100 series Cruisers, Cherokee, etc).

My advice would be to take the plunge and enjoy the trip. Good luck - Malcolm Very Happy
 Why have I never felt this way about a 4WD before?  
Post #6305611th Jun 2006 6:26 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Our Disco 3 was one of the first build and we collected her at UK lauch in October 2004. She has covered 35,000 miles and only let us down once (recent handbrake sticking). It seems to me that many early versions are just as reliable as later ones. What you need toavoid is a vehicle with lots of history of problems, which would show up on its warranty records.
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #6305811th Jun 2006 7:55 am
Jamo

Australia 

I think you've come to the wrong place if you want someone to tell you not to buy a D3!

As for any car, there is always the possibility that something will go wrong. I've found this forum a wealth of information that has helped me sort out most of the issues that I have had; and is also a useful sounding board for the pros/cons of fitting varuous accessories.

It also lead me to the GTR (Landrover Global Technical Reference website), which I subscribed to after a compressor problem; and which I have found is extremely useful for arming onesself with information when talking to the dealer!

Good luck!
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #6306111th Jun 2006 8:02 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

SGK,

I think it will be personal choice on buying a 2005 used or a new 2006.

I don't think fuel tanks problems affected Australian deliveries particulary the TDV6. I think it was more related t othe US who only get petrol V8's.

I'm sure that if you are buying 2nd hand from a LR Dealer then you should be able to get a history of warranty work if that dealer was the servicing one and I'm sure you can get it even if they are not. Call the previous owner and ask why they are selling it if it's not a demo.

Also it will still have the balance of new car warranty.

As the others said.

Just buy one, you won't be disappointed.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #6306611th Jun 2006 11:16 am
SGK

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

Thanks for the advice. I got a good deal on a new Silver SE, to arrive in early August, which gives me time to sell the Prado. Anyone wants one Wink ?
Smile
Steffan
 Prado Grande --> D3 --> D4 ... its getting better all the time Smile  
Post #6337113th Jun 2006 9:20 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >