Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

CAN YOU BUY NEW CAR BUT REGISTERED ON DEALERS NAME???
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
minicabelemet

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

Thanks BN. I will be on the blower tomorrow morning to sort it out. I have already found some insurers that are willing to insure us even though we(me and my wife) are not the registered keepers. I will get in touch as well with Esure (I got 8 years no claim bonus, so they might be interested). But I will definitelly not sign on the dotted line for a contract stating that " I agree to return the vehicke to you at the end of the agreed loan period or on demand in a clean and serviceable condition". This is one of the 6 condition on the Car Loan Form from Sytner Group.

Post #307501st Dec 2005 10:14 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BN

England 

minicabelemet wrote:
Thanks BN. I will be on the blower tomorrow morning to sort it out. I have already found some insurers that are willing to insure us even though we(me and my wife) are not the registered keepers. I will get in touch as well with Esure (I got 8 years no claim bonus, so they might be interested). But I will definitelly not sign on the dotted line for a contract stating that " I agree to return the vehicke to you at the end of the agreed loan period or on demand in a clean and serviceable condition". This is one of the 6 condition on the Car Loan Form from Sytner Group.

Bottom line, if in doubt run away.

Post #307531st Dec 2005 10:19 pm
minicabelemet

I will think it over and hopefuly I will get it right tomorrow. It just seems a good deal, and I would hate to loose it. But we'll see. Thanks for your help

Post #307561st Dec 2005 10:24 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
shawn

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bali BlueDiscovery 4

Winger wrote:
Well, perhaps if you don't get it, you shouldn't go ahead!

See the post further up......but to spell it out (as you have described):

1. You give the dealer £39,000
2. They register the vehicle in their name
3. You sign a form which confirms that the car is on loan to you
4. They insist that you insure the vehicle before you drive of in it, but they are the registered keep; your insurance will note that they are the registered keeper, but you are the principal driver
5. The car gets stolen; the insurance company pays the registered keeper - who, in the absence of anything that confirms the contrary, they reasonably assume is the legal owner.
6. You are left with no car and a £39,000 hole in your pocket - unless you have covered the fact that, notwithstanding 3. above, you are actually the legal owner, and the insurance beneficiary...then, the circle is squared.

You can get insurance - Norwich Union, for one will cover you - but if I was you I would want the "loan" issue to be fully clarified........

why would the insurance company pay out to the registard keeper as the log book/registard keeper is not proof of ownership the reciept is proof of ownership Confused

shawn
 bali blue disco 4 with rear dvd's, privacy glass, pre heat system, heated steering wheel, full size spare, piano black trim, ipod cable, 20 inch wheels and i love it loads more than my TDV8 RRS, KTM 250 EXC 2 Stroke for the real off road stuff  
Post #307621st Dec 2005 10:35 pm
DrLex

Iceland 

Hmm,

I concur with Brian and John's comments here; and would be particularly concerned if the dealer should happen to go into administration in the 3 months of your 'loan'. If I was in your position and wanted to go ahead with this deal on their terms, I'd insist on an amendment that I would pay an initial sum or monthly payments for the "loan" of the car with the balance due on re-registration of the car. If it's not your car for 3 months, why pay upfront for it?

Another concern I'd have would be rejection - can you reject a "loan" car if it turns out to be a lemon?

Personally, there are enough dealers and cars out there to make a more conventional "I pay and the car is mine now" contract.

lex
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #307661st Dec 2005 10:42 pm
minicabelemet

Made my mind up. I will not sign any "Loan Car Form". If I pay in full, then is mine. If the dealer accepts it, ok, otherwise the deal is off. I am however willing to accept one point from the form:" I hereby acknowledge that during the the -replace: currency of the loan with: next 90 days-and for the purpose of the Road Traffic Act 1988 I shall be liable as owner of the above vehicle in respect of any offences or excess charge or local council congestion charge arising."
I think this fair enough. You can't go 100mph and expect LR to pay for the fine???

Post #307741st Dec 2005 10:57 pm
BN

England 

minicabelemet wrote:
Made my mind up. I will not sign any "Loan Car Form". If I pay in full, then is mine. If the dealer accepts it, ok, otherwise the deal is off. I am however willing to accept one point from the form:" I hereby acknowledge that during the the -replace: currency of the loan with: next 90 days-and for the purpose of the Road Traffic Act 1988 I shall be liable as owner of the above vehicle in respect of any offences or excess charge or local council congestion charge arising."
I think this fair enough. You can't go 100mph and expect LR to pay for the fine???

Just think carefully before you put pen to paper tomorrow Wink .

Post #307761st Dec 2005 10:59 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

shawn wrote:
why would the insurance company pay out to the registard keeper as the log book/registard keeper is not proof of ownership the reciept is proof of ownership Confused

shawn

A receipt is proof that money has changed hands, but does not necessarily confirm the transfer of title.

None of that is the issue, the problem is the "loan" status of the car. You cannot on the one hand sign a document saying that you are accepting a car "on loan" and then claim that you are the owner.

Post #307801st Dec 2005 11:06 pm
minicabelemet

will do! thanks again and look forward to my first off road experience!

Post #307841st Dec 2005 11:08 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

minicabelemet wrote:
I am however willing to accept one point from the form:" I hereby acknowledge that during the the -replace: currency of the loan with: next 90 days-and for the purpose of the Road Traffic Act 1988 I shall be liable as owner of the above vehicle in respect of any offences or excess charge or local council congestion charge arising."

That is quite fair, and pretty similar to the terms of a "hire" arrangement. But, note the words "liable as owner"; is that because you are liable because you are the owner, or liable as if you were the owner. The two things are very, very different.

Post #307851st Dec 2005 11:08 pm
shawn

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bali BlueDiscovery 4

Winger wrote:
shawn wrote:

shawn

A receipt is proof that money has changed hands, but does not necessarily confirm the transfer of title.

None of that is the issue, the problem is the "loan" status of the car. You cannot on the one hand sign a document saying that you are accepting a car "on loan" and then claim that you are the owner.

sorry winger i read the 1st thread incorrectly Embarassed

shawn
 bali blue disco 4 with rear dvd's, privacy glass, pre heat system, heated steering wheel, full size spare, piano black trim, ipod cable, 20 inch wheels and i love it loads more than my TDV8 RRS, KTM 250 EXC 2 Stroke for the real off road stuff  
Post #307861st Dec 2005 11:10 pm
minicabelemet

Thanks Winger! I guess I have to be smarter than the dealer and get them to agree that there is no point in signing a "loan car agreement". All I will do is acknowledge(and sign) to pay (as the owner of the car) for any offences or excess charges arising in the next 90 days. It looks fair innit?

Post #307871st Dec 2005 11:14 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

No apology necessary - this isn't as straightforward as it looks............ Shocked Confused

Post #307881st Dec 2005 11:14 pm
minicabelemet

God!!! I have to peel my eyes tomorrow, otherwise I'll open my wallet!!! It is very confusing. Coming from an IT environment where you have only two values 0 and 1, I find it difficult to understand all that long pages with small print! Need a clear head tomorrow, so no more red wine!

Post #307901st Dec 2005 11:22 pm
Cliff H

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Unless you want all of those extras on it try phoning a few more dealers.
Tell them that you have £39k burning a hole in your pocket ready for a HSE, you may get some interesting responses!
 Zermatt silver 06 reg.

Gone but not forgotten !!! 

Post #307911st Dec 2005 11:25 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >