Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

how can i beef up my bass ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
didi

Ireland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
how can i beef up my bass ?

lovin the new motor ... just added a parrot hands free and now wanna try n beef up the bass in the stereo system. is this easily done i wonder - is it just a speaker upgrade or maybe I need a sub fitted somewhere discretely. have any a you guys successfuly done something like this - thanks -

the current system is the standard supplied with the V6

Question

Post #2809802nd Apr 2008 10:58 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

ISTR the base model does NOT have the sub fitted, but there should be space in the tailgate for a sub. yes youwould need to have an additional Amp & you can upgrade your door speakers as a couple of members have down for some 'beefier' ones.

Do a quick search for speaker upgrade & you should find something.
Good luck
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #2809842nd Apr 2008 11:04 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I put a couple of these in unser the seats:

Click image to enlarge

Not booming bass but fills out the lower frequencies nicely. Very Happy
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #2810082nd Apr 2008 12:08 pm
jonesy63

Location: Didn't we have a lovely time, the day we went to ...

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Hi Didi,
If you want a mild upgrade - just installing better main mid-bass drivers in the front doors will do ok.

If you want a warm upgrade - follow CaverD3's advice.

If you want to hot upgrade - install an amplifier (which accepts speaker-level inputs) under the front seat and run a speaker cable from it to the lower tailgate and install a small subwoofer there. The factory driver is an 8" frankenstein-looking thing. I have photos of the lower tailgate baffle in my gallery. The biggest driver you can buy which will fit in there - is a Morel Elate SW 9 - which is a 9" 200W driver. You will have to do surgery on the baffle - including cutting off the fixed bolts where the factory sub is mounted, and make an MDF baffle to fit the Morel. You could of course just buy a factory subwoofer, but where is the fun in that! Laughing

The next two steps up from that would be:
1) to make an entirely new baffle to replace the lower tailgate one. I am thinking about this route - 3mm aluminium baffle routed the same shape as the factory steel baffle, then bolt an MDF baffle to that - then you could install a Morel Elate SW 10. Still 200W, but the extra diameter of the cone moves more air. There are also a few new low profile subwoofers which were announced at SEMA this year - which will give more options. The trouble is, most aren't available until 3Q2008.
2) install a subwoofer enclosure in the boot - the sky is the limit here! The drawback is lack of stealth install - read "makes your motor a target" - and loss of boot space.

After I get back home (travelling with work to China and USA), I will be doing option 1.

Cheers,
Rob

Post #2843559th Apr 2008 11:55 am
Eero

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Hi Rob,

Looking at your gallery it seems that the diameter of the baffle is about 11-12 inches, is that right or have I misinterpreted the pictures? At least the mounting depth seems to be pretty small, only about 80 mm. That will rule out most "beefy" subs. However, there a many decent "flat line" subs out there. The size or weight of the magnet (or basket) has close to nothing to do with SQ performance.

But as you wrote, a new mounting plate is the best option for the factory location. A separate enclosure is by far THE best option, but will not look as good and is always in the way - and if not mounted properly, will kill people in an accident.

Post #28474710th Apr 2008 6:50 am
jonesy63

Location: Didn't we have a lovely time, the day we went to ...

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Eero wrote:
Looking at your gallery it seems that the diameter of the baffle is about 11-12 inches, is that right or have I misinterpreted the pictures? At least the mounting depth seems to be pretty small, only about 80 mm.

Hi Eero,
Yes - the outer edge of the baffle is about 11 inches and the raised section where the driver goes is about 10 inches.

The standard mounting depth is about 88 mm. The Morel Elate SW10 mounting depth is 74mm, but as you would know - you need to leave at least 1" behind the driver so it can breathe. Call the total depth 100mm - which means I will have to make the new baffle at least 12 mm deeper than the standard one. I did not have time to measure - but I hope the plastic tailgate trim accommodates that change.

I also reckon a bit of preparation of the tailgate would be worthwhile. The number plate frame clips and lots of holes will need to be sealed. Sound deadening would be mandatory. There is a little in there from the factory - but it will benefit from some more.

Anyhow, that is what I plan to do. All I need is some time. I have been in Shenzhen, China for the past two weeks and heading to New York on Sunday.

Cheers,
Rob

Post #28482210th Apr 2008 9:56 am
Eero

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Yes, damping the panels is mandatory. Dynamat is the industry leader in this case, both in terms of damping cabability and also in the ease of installation.

And yes, it's a good idea to leave some "breathing" space - if the driver has a vented voice coil (ie. a hole in the middle of the magnet). Otherwise it doesn't make a difference.

Post #28518211th Apr 2008 7:38 am
neophyteguy

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Didi, here is a link to what I had done to my MY08 SE TDV6. The system certainly has plenty of bass and takes up no room not currently used by the OEM stereo (exepting the 3Sixty and amp under passenger seat). If you have any queries, feel free to PM me.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic18767.h...ar+speaker
 Picked up my new MY08 Stornaway TDV6 SE late Feb. FULLY STOKED! Thanks in advance for all the advice/tips you guys have shared on here!!!!!!!!!!!!
1976 Kombi - Bob
1961 Karmann Ghia - Audrey
1968 Wife-HOT! 

Post #28518811th Apr 2008 8:03 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >