Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Dealership & Sponsor Feedback

So, Can I off road this thing or what?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
nwoods

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol Base 5 Seat Auto Chawton WhiteLR3
So, Can I off road this thing or what?

Here's a new one, and quite disconcerting.
Just got back from dropping off my truck at the dealer, I'm getting a weird gasoline venting issue when my truck is at higher altitudes, and I still have the steering wheel clunking issue that the dealers have been unwilling to work on.

This time, I heard a new one from the service adviser that really concerned me. There was a note in my file that says something like "Customer uses vehicle off road, and may report items not under warranty due to off road usage." I had to sign an agreement to pay $115/hour "diagnosis fee" should my issues be related to something not under warranty, such as off roading related.

I wrote on the service agreement:
"Customer reserves the right to dispute any and all designations of out-of-warranty related claims" and then signed it.

So my question is: Did Land Rover lie to me? Can I not take my car off road on regular weekend jaunts? Is there some sort of official "secret" policy that deals with customers like me who enjoy the vehicle they love by taking it off road? Is it the customer's fault that the bushings are not durable, that the steering column wears out, that the gas tank system is too bloody complex for it's own good?

It's not like I'm asking them to replace my rock-rubbed bumpers. Either the truck they advertised is off road capable, or it's not. Don't spend hundreds of millions of dollars marketing a brand based on capability and then not back it up when client chooses to use it as advertised!

I'm very alarmed at this sort of classification!

Post #17075326th Jun 2007 3:12 am
JamesWyatt

United States 2006 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Tonga GreenLR3

Shocked Damn. Have them print out that memo and hand-mail that to the President of LRNA with a nice letter. Send copies of it to every one up the chain. I sense an apology in your future.

The parts are either under warranty, or they're not. Censored

Post #17075426th Jun 2007 3:55 am
mzaver

United States 2007 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverLR3

Keep us posted - I would be not be a happy camper if LRNA can deny warranty based on taking the vehicle off road.
 2007 LR3 HSE - Zermatt Silver Zermatt Silver
2007 LR3 HSE - Stornoway Gray (Mrs.) Bonatti Grey
*Luxury Package (Heated Wind Shield, Heated Seats, Heated Washer Fluid, Adaptive Front Lights and Center Console Cooler Box)* 

Post #17089626th Jun 2007 4:21 pm
navydevildoc

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3

Shocked

Which dealer was this??!

I also think that if it gets denied it's time for a call and letter to LRNA.
 2005 LR3 HSE - ARB Bumper, Warn XD9000, Custom Rock Sliders and Skid Plates, BBS Faultmate MSV-2 Extreme, Kenwood TMD-700, etc, etc,
1965 Series IIA 

Post #17091226th Jun 2007 5:13 pm
RLD
Uncle Ray 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Name and shame them Thumbs Up
 Home of RLD Hidden winch mounts Spare wheel Locks Trailer Body Fabrication ray@rld-tech.co.uk D3/4 sump plates MY 14 sump plates and the Discovery Sport wheel protectors Discovery 5 wheel locks
more Helsport tents and other things for camping Law of Mechanical Repair:
"After your hands are coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee!" 

Post #17095926th Jun 2007 8:12 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RLD
Uncle Ray 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

oll so what is the G4 challenge that L/R did is that not off road your Stealer as lied to you.
 Home of RLD Hidden winch mounts Spare wheel Locks Trailer Body Fabrication ray@rld-tech.co.uk D3/4 sump plates MY 14 sump plates and the Discovery Sport wheel protectors Discovery 5 wheel locks
more Helsport tents and other things for camping Law of Mechanical Repair:
"After your hands are coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee!" 

Post #17096126th Jun 2007 8:14 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
nwoods

An update: This is the third time I have taken my truck to a dealer to have the steering knock issue resolved. Par for the course, they couldn't find anything wrong, nor could they find a relevant TSB on the subject. Fortunately, thanks to this site, I was able to cite them chapter and verse on all that.

They fixed it! or so it seems. They did something anyway. I'll know soon enough with a planned excursion to the Sierra Nevada mountains this weekend.

I spoke to the service adviser about the warning note in my file. He explained it as a precaution to give "common sense" consideration to reported faults and problems. Such as a crushed gas tank is likely to be from off roading and not under warrenty. Having had this exact problem twice in the past year (it's expensive!), i can understand it. If I rub my fenders up against a rock, I'm not looking for LR to replace it under warrenty. But if the bushings let go in the first 20,000 miles, that for darn sure better be covered. The service advisor assured me that it is, regardless of my use of the vehicle.

I am satisfied with the response, and this particular service advisor seems like a decent sort. Not one to look at hideously aligned tires and say, "That's normal, they all do that" like the last guy....

Post #17156428th Jun 2007 9:23 am
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

nwoods wrote:
They fixed it! or so it seems. They did something anyway. I'll know soon enough with a planned excursion to the Sierra Nevada mountains this weekend.

New front and rear ARB stirrups did it for me and Gareth too ISTR.

Post #17156728th Jun 2007 9:33 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Mine is fine now. It was finally cured with new lower wishbones on the front suspension.

Post #17156928th Jun 2007 9:36 am
nwoods

Simon, what do you mean? Other than the front bumper and x-Jack, I didn't know ARB made anything that fit the D3

Post #17170928th Jun 2007 2:43 pm
bkehoe

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Anti Roll Bar Smile
 IE - 05 D3 TDV6 HSE - Zambezi Silver
SA - 07 VW Golf TDI - White - Sold! 

Post #17171628th Jun 2007 2:53 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Sorry Nate... thought acronyms were an American skill Wink

Apparently the ARB starts to bounce around in the stirrups after a while (50K miles it seems or heavy off road use).

Post #17171828th Jun 2007 2:56 pm
JamesWyatt

United States 2006 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Tonga GreenLR3

nwoods wrote:
...I spoke to the service adviser about the warning note in my file. He explained it as a precaution to give "common sense" consideration to reported faults and problems...

Sounds like backpedaling to me. If it's common sense, then why the need for a note in the system? Do they abandon common sense for all others? Good reframe by the advisor:

Quote:
"We're not looking to catch you trying to pass off abuse damage as a warranty claim. Instead, we're just reiterating our dedication to your service requirements. The note in the system is proof of our intentions. I hope your experience with us today was excellent. Please give us a top-notch score on the Quality of Service Survey from Land Rover."

At least you have it resolved.

Post #17210729th Jun 2007 3:17 am
sideview

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackLR3

I'm glad you got it resolved Nathan. I'm not sure I would have signed the agreement or not, doesn't seem fair somehow. It would seem to be pretty obvious if a part is broken from abuse or neglect, whether done off-road or on the street, or whether a part is faulty before its time. Just sounds prejudice and unnecessary. Rolling Eyes
 I'm not so good at giving advice...may I offer you a sarcastic comment instead?

Haiti Earthquake Relief: Donate Your Frequent Flier Miles 

Post #17210829th Jun 2007 4:40 am
Spiker

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Java BlackLR3

Nathan-

Not sure if doing this will KILL MY FUTURE WITH THE UNNAMED dealer or not but cite my vehicle they service. 37k miles [25k off road], gone through all the front end bushings and one control arm and the sway bar. Never have they had me sign anything.

Definitely get a copy of the memo and call the PAG and ask for Pat Walburg [Aftersales Mkt. Mgr-Service/Parts/Warranty] or Erika Barden [Market Mgr-Sales]. I'll look for their emails too.

I could understand if you were trying to "slide things under warranty" but that is simply not the case. I know you to be an honorably guy. You are simply wanting things that wear out under the implied use/ability to be covered.

Great. Now I'M going to get rejected under warranty! What I do for friends.
Click image to enlarge
 Live Authentically,
Spiker 

Post #17211029th Jun 2007 6:05 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >