Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

Can op diff driveshafts be used on the e-diff?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Russellg

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Mariana BlackDiscovery 4
Can op diff driveshafts be used on the e-diff?

Afternoon everyone,

I'm finally getting around to the retrofit of the locking/locker/e-diff retrofit on my MY16 (15 plate) D4. (8-speed ZF box)

I’ve studied the various posts on here (and around the world) on the retrofit and there is a lot of good information out there, but one question remains: -

Can I use my existing non-locking open diff driveshafts with the new locking diff?

I read somewhere that on the D3 the ediff driveshafts are thicker diameter but are interchangeable but I’ve not seen anything similar on the D4. And ultimately I would like to complete the retrofit of the diff without having to stump up for new driveshafts in the short term, or if at all if thy prove adequate.

I’ve not pulled them out yet but I’m certain my shafts locking nuts are the 2.0mm pitch.

I also note that in the EPC driveshafts for the locking cars have a different p/n to driveshafts with the open diff. Also the CV joints themselves as re different P/n suggesting there is probably a diameter difference between the two.

So with that in mind, I know they are different, but do they still fit?

Any pointers welcome!

Post #234657731st Aug 2023 9:24 am
Dondiddy

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

I fitted a locking diff to my 2015 HSE Lux a few years ago and at the time I was told by others that I would definitely need to fit the matching driveshafts for the e-diff. I ended up using the standard driveshafts as when I did the diff swap I had limited time and I could not get the original driveshafts out of the hubs so ended up just using them as I needed the car back on the road. They fitted without any issues and I ran it for over a year and 12,000mls without any problems before I sold it. Hope this helps! Thumbs Up

Post #23468232nd Sep 2023 10:13 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

They are different, but either shaft fits either diff

Apparently, TDV8 rear shafts are the same as D* with locking diff. I've still got my original TDV6 shafts fitted, without issue

It'll be fine Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #23468813rd Sep 2023 4:40 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Russellg

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Mariana BlackDiscovery 4

@Dondiddy

Nice one gents, thanks for your replies - that's great news. Seems like it’s perfectly adequate to run with the original shafts - tried and tested even!

@Disco_Mikey

You prob won’t recall but when I was in for my front arms and map last year we spoke about the big brake upgrade - just wondering that in the event that I have pop out the 1/2 shafts is it worth swapping out brake guard/back plate for later fitting of the larger diameter discs?

I’m think its prob not worth it as it is - TBH the 6-pot fronts are more than adequate for just now and as a plus based on Dondiddy 's experience there might not even be the need to split the driveshafts from the hubs in any case.

On a seperate note I’m still on the hunt for the crimp terminals for the under chassis loom to body plug C0376 and C0390– ideally I want to install the pins as per factory for ease in case I need the body off later, but its probably more robust not to mess with that delicate connector and just run the 12-wires for the diff wiring direct to the module.

Anyway, I’ll keep you all posted with progress!

Post #23469354th Sep 2023 11:24 am
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

The non e-Diff connectors C0390 and C0376 are equipped with 'loops' in the positions 20-27 and 41-42 to seal up the connector.

So you could cut these loops and use them as connections through the connector pair.

You'd then only need to add terminals in positions 9 and 10 - I have male and female and seals for these in stock.

You could also remove the loops from both sides, and replace with new terminals in 20-27 and 41-42.

If you need new terminals for these positions I can get them in.
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #23469644th Sep 2023 4:43 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >