Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Tips & Tricks

Canoe, Kayaks and Roofbars
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
hotrocks

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 4

You beat me to it DiscoStu... thanks... now I wonder if I could get 9 canoes AND 9 people in it... Whistle

Post #5759297th Jan 2010 1:29 pm
DannyDisco

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Back on track....

I have an old town canadian canoe, Any tip on actually getting it on the roof of D3, the wife and I use to get it on the old freelander but it's the height that is going to be an issue, especially for her..

Any advise on roof bars, techniques, and possibly a box to stand. If any has any pics it would be good... Otherwise we are going away in 1 series BMW for canoe trips..

Cheers

Post #8443556th Oct 2011 5:47 pm
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Get a step up platform, I use one for loading my kayak.
I put in the boot for when I go to launch, also doubles up as a bench when swmbo sits by the water watching/reading.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/part...ipment+%2F
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #8443586th Oct 2011 5:55 pm
hotrocks

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 4

As ronp suggests, an alloy step up in handy with the vehicle lowered (assuming you have air suspension).

We usually just lower the vehicle and stand on the tail gate while we lob it on top from the back, probably explains all the dents Whistle

We also make sure we buy light weight boats made out of rolaex (sic) or similar.

Post #8443616th Oct 2011 6:06 pm
MartinR

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

If you look over to the untidy garage thread, you'll see my boat lives on a frame in the garage, so it slides off that onto my shoulders, and then straight onto the roof - the j-bars for the kayaks help a lot with aiming!

At the riverside, if there's no handy wall to help with getting on my shoulders again, we lift the bow onto the back bar, then pick up the stern and slide her on, watching that you don't lift too high and score the roof Rolling Eyes Depending how far back the back bar is, your also need to watch that you don't scrape the top edge of the boot. I can do it on my own, but it's easier with two!

A good place to go for some different ideas is the Song of the Paddle website (http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/) - you'll see some weird and wonderful things on there, including side lifting devices

Martin

Post #8443626th Oct 2011 6:12 pm
p1xcb

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I am picking up my 85 plate Disco 3 today and need to order a roof system for a kayak too but I can get clear definition as to whether I have 'rails' or a 'T Track' after talking to the bloke in Halfords about the Thule System.

Basically the car has the two long strips along the roof either side that have a slot which I assume is a T Track if you invert it and look at the section........there is nothing fitted in this in the form of rails or bars so I am assuming I have the T Track......contrary to what the bloke said in Halfords from my description and the same as what I can see in the pictures in this thread.

Can anyone clarify please?

Thanks

Post #10493545th Feb 2013 10:02 am
MartinR

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

Yep, sounds like the t-track. It's what I'd expect

Post #10493865th Feb 2013 11:18 am
p1xcb

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Thanks Martin, it's what I thought but needed someone more qualified than a Halfords fitter to confirm. I did ask a three year old this morning too and they said T Track also. Laughing

Post #10493895th Feb 2013 11:23 am
chopcat

Wales 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4
Getting it up

And tips on loading a kayak single handed onto the disco.

I have a roller on the roof rack on the defender but am slightly cpscuppered by the aerial thing on the d4. I think I need to make up some sort of add on section to the roof bars to load it easily.

Any other experience with anyone adding loading devices ?

I will post some pics when I have worked out what to do.

Cc
 may the odds be ever in your favor  
Post #109193122nd Apr 2013 7:05 am
ronp

I carry and use a small decorators platform.
It's about 18"high x 36" long, folds down to fit in boot or rear flootwell.
Great for loading/unloading plus tying down to both roof bars.
Also doubles up as a table/bench seat for when you get there.
Will post pic/link later.
Thumbs Up
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #109195622nd Apr 2013 8:33 am
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

Chopcat,

We have an Ocean Kayak Malibu Two XL Angler (which the kids like to mess about on) and a P&H Scorpio 170 Sea Kayak (mine!). I've not been able to transport both at the same time yet because that Malibu Two XL is a bit of a beast (I don't enjoy moving that anywhere) and the standard LR roof bars don't make the best use of the width of the car. Am considering upgrading to a Thule system to utilise wider roof bars.

The Malibu Two XL is 4.1m long, 0.9m wide Shocked , and weighs over 30Kg. It's not the easiest of things to lug about on your own (especially as there are fewer convenient places to grab hold of it).

Last year, I made a relatively cheap kayak loader out of some CLS timber, some plastic waste pipe, and some foam paint rollers. It works reasonably well. Will try to take photographs of it next time I have it out.

The wooden frame mounts on the rear roof of the D3 and slots neatly under the rearmost roof bar to prevent the roller from moving once weight is applied to the roller part. The roller, then overhangs the rear of the car by a few inches to prevent the high-level stop light becoming damaged when loading (and to keep the kayak well away from the paintwork). My wooden frame may also clear the plastic aerial on the roof of your D4 (I don't have one on my lowly "S" so cannot comment).

With the hull facing upwards, I'm able to lift the bow of the boat onto the roller on my own and then I can grab the stern and push the rest of the boat onto the standard LR bars singlehandedly. The plastic waste pipe (with foam paint rollers slipped over) does bend a bit under the weight so I will be looking to strengthen this aspect of it this year. The internal diameter of the paint rollers is a perfect fit over the external diameter of the waste pipe.

Thule make a roller system which attaches to a cross bar but the problem I see with this is that the rearmost roof bar position on the D3/D4 is way too far forwards to be of any use. The roller on the rear of your Defender is probably level with the rear door, which makes this easier.

I like Ron's idea of using a decorator's platform but that's fine if you're only paddling a playboat. Anything larger may start becoming too heavy/cumbersome to lift singlehandedly form the side of the car. For tying down the boat, I typically stand on top of the rear tyres to do this on the rearmost bars and stand in the rear passenger footwell to do the frontmost bars.

Will try to take some photos of my DIY kayak loader this weekend when I have it out. Thumbs Up I also have some plans which I sketched out before I built it. I'll scan those and stick them in my gallery.

Steve
 2021 BMW iX3 Premier Edition in Carbon Black ⚡️🔌
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 Tdi 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey. Excellent vehicle. Gone.
2017 Discovery Sport HSE Auto in Carpathian Grey and Ebony Leather. Modern JLR Junk. Gone.
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual in Zermatt Silver with Ebony Cloth (143k) Gone, but now patrolling the Asia section of the West Midlands Safari Park! 

Post #109198622nd Apr 2013 9:55 am
ronp

Woolmeister wrote:
I like Ron's idea of using a decorator's platform but that's fine if you're only paddling a playboat.

Are you saying I'm just a big kid Evil or Very Mad

Laughing

was a 10' tourer but now an 8' ww kayak btw. Thumbs Up
Post #109199522nd Apr 2013 10:17 am
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

ronp wrote:
was a 10' tourer but now an 8' ww kayak btw. Thumbs Up

It must be nice to own and paddle such a manageable craft (on land), Ron! Laughing The 17' sea kayak is far more manageable than the lump of plastic that is the Malibu Two XL.

Might have to get myself one of those platforms, though, to load her onto some J bars. Good suggestion. Thumbs Up

Steve
 2021 BMW iX3 Premier Edition in Carbon Black ⚡️🔌
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 Tdi 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey. Excellent vehicle. Gone.
2017 Discovery Sport HSE Auto in Carpathian Grey and Ebony Leather. Modern JLR Junk. Gone.
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual in Zermatt Silver with Ebony Cloth (143k) Gone, but now patrolling the Asia section of the West Midlands Safari Park! 

Post #109200022nd Apr 2013 10:21 am
chopcat

I like the idea

Woolmeister wrote:
Chopcat,

We have an Ocean Kayak Malibu Two XL Angler (which the kids like to mess about on) and a P&H Scorpio 170 Sea Kayak (mine!). I've not been able to transport both at the same time yet because that Malibu Two XL is a bit of a beast (I don't enjoy moving that anywhere) and the standard LR roof bars don't make the best use of the width of the car. Am considering upgrading to a Thule system to utilise wider roof bars.

The Malibu Two XL is 4.1m long, 0.9m wide Shocked , and weighs over 30Kg. It's not the easiest of things to lug about on your own (especially as there are fewer convenient places to grab hold of it).

Last year, I made a relatively cheap kayak loader out of some CLS timber, some plastic waste pipe, and some foam paint rollers. It works reasonably well. Will try to take photographs of it next time I have it out.

The wooden frame mounts on the rear roof of the D3 and slots neatly under the rearmost roof bar to prevent the roller from moving once weight is applied to the roller part. The roller, then overhangs the rear of the car by a few inches to prevent the high-level stop light becoming damaged when loading (and to keep the kayak well away from the paintwork). My wooden frame may also clear the plastic aerial on the roof of your D4 (I don't have one on my lowly "S" so cannot comment).

With the hull facing upwards, I'm able to lift the bow of the boat onto the roller on my own and then I can grab the stern and push the rest of the boat onto the standard LR bars singlehandedly. The plastic waste pipe (with foam paint rollers slipped over) does bend a bit under the weight so I will be looking to strengthen this aspect of it this year. The internal diameter of the paint rollers is a perfect fit over the external diameter of the waste pipe.

Thule make a roller system which attaches to a cross bar but the problem I see with this is that the rearmost roof bar position on the D3/D4 is way too far forwards to be of any use. The roller on the rear of your Defender is probably level with the rear door, which makes this easier.

I like Ron's idea of using a decorator's platform but that's fine if you're only paddling a playboat. Anything larger may start becoming too heavy/cumbersome to lift singlehandedly form the side of the car. For tying down the boat, I typically stand on top of the rear tyres to do this on the rearmost bars and stand in the rear passenger footwell to do the frontmost bars.

Will try to take some photos of my DIY kayak loader this weekend when I have it out. Thumbs Up I also have some plans which I sketched out before I built it. I'll scan those and stick them in my gallery.

I have a hobie revo and came up with a roller on the defender. I will have a look at making a similar set up to the thule roller setup which is not available for th ethylene aero bars that I have.

It will need to be easy to put in as you won't be able to open the boot with it in place so some sort of removable slot in system is in my mind.

Any pics would be good and I will post whatever I come up with
Cc

Steve
Post #109200622nd Apr 2013 10:25 am
chopcat

Idea!

Now I have just had a brain wave.

How about fitting a roller on to a rear ladder.....that way it swings out if the way with the back door and has a fixing that is solid without any holes.

The boat would sit on one side, but that wod be ok as I am using the thule kayak cradles.

Two questions

1 any reasoni why this would not work
2 who makes a good ladder

Cc
Post #109205422nd Apr 2013 11:42 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >