Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Tips & Tricks

Canoe, Kayaks and Roofbars
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

I can't see any reason why this might not work but much depends on the beam/width of your kayak. A substantial sit on top or Canadian canoe is not going to go up there without a fight. If you're putting a K1 up there then, yes, I see no issues with that due to the narrow beam on a narrow ladder.

You may be able to fabricate something using the rubber rollers you can buy at most yacht chandlers, in that case.

Steve
 2021 BMW iX3 Premier Edition in Carbon Black ⚡️🔌
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 Tdi 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey. Excellent vehicle. Gone.
2017 Discovery Sport HSE Auto in Carpathian Grey and Ebony Leather. Modern JLR Junk. Gone.
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual in Zermatt Silver with Ebony Cloth (143k) Gone, but now patrolling the Asia section of the West Midlands Safari Park! 

Post #109208422nd Apr 2013 12:54 pm
Dexter

Scotland 

I use the Thule system with a set of uprights, and get two sit on tops on easily, even had a bike up there too.

The blue one is an Ocean Kayak Malibu 2XL, 'big blue' the kids call it as it's a bit of a monster, bigger than it looks on the Disco Shocked My wife and I are both 6 footers so an easy lift up and on. I use the tintent step for getting the straps on.

Click image to enlarge

Post #109213722nd Apr 2013 2:52 pm
chopcat

Wales 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Dexter wrote:
I use the Thule system with a set of uprights, and get two sit on tops on easily, even had a bike up there too.

The blue one is an Ocean Kayak Malibu 2XL, 'big blue' the kids call it as it's a bit of a monster, bigger than it looks on the Disco Shocked My wife and I are both 6 footers so an easy lift up and on. I use the tintent step for getting the straps on.

Click image to enlarge

Probably getting a taller wife is my answer then !

CC
 may the odds be ever in your favor  
Post #109218422nd Apr 2013 4:35 pm
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

Dexter: Which roof bars are you using there on your D4? The Malibu Two XL is an especially wide boat and I'm intrigued (and impressed!) as to how you get the other two up there as well. Shocked

What other accessories are you using to get the green boat (Feelfree Roamer?) up there? I think I can just about make out a Thule logo on the feet.

Cheers,

Steve
 2021 BMW iX3 Premier Edition in Carbon Black ⚡️🔌
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 Tdi 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey. Excellent vehicle. Gone.
2017 Discovery Sport HSE Auto in Carpathian Grey and Ebony Leather. Modern JLR Junk. Gone.
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual in Zermatt Silver with Ebony Cloth (143k) Gone, but now patrolling the Asia section of the West Midlands Safari Park! 

Post #109244222nd Apr 2013 9:44 pm
Dexter

Scotland 

Hi,

For info, my roof bar system is:

-Thule 4700 Footpack
-Thule 4710 Adaptor kit
-Thule 869 (aero profile) 135 cm bars

Easy on, easy off - no tools required.

I bought this for my D3 about 5 years ago but for some reason none of the roof bar companies show this as for a Discovery now, but the same system fits a Peugeot 806, 98-02 with T-Tracks I believe.

I also use a pair of Thule kayak support uprights, ref 520-1 which the green kayak (yes, FeelFree Nomad) rests against and is lashed to.

Only two kayaks up there, but I can also fit a Thule bike carrier if I'm feeling extra energetic.

Dex

Post #109256923rd Apr 2013 8:37 am
snowmonkey

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

I have experienced the same problems as you've mentioned getting my Old Town canoe on and off... The main one being that the standard roof bar doesn't slide close enough to the rear end to allow loading from the back without resting the boat on the tailgate Sad

So I fabricated a steel frame that bolts onto the T-slots of the standard bars. It has a roller at the back to make single loading a doddle. For anyone who is interested, there is an action picture in my gallery.

Made the roller out of stainless tube with larger guide wheels at each end to stop the canoe taking a dive out the side Smile

Cheers,
H

Post #112415228th Jun 2013 10:18 am
Rixy

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Loading and unloading

Try this topic for discussion on how to get a kayak/windsurfer onto a Disco

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic94677.html

Post #113621325th Jul 2013 7:51 pm
TdV6Pete

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

hotrocks wrote:
I run a BCU canoeing centre and often have to go to the local swimming pool to run sessions, 8 kids + 1 instructor = no problem for the Disco 3!

We get 4 on the standard LR roof bars by 'top n tailing' them two by two next to each other and then bung 5 short boats in the back with the seats folded down = 9 boats without a trailer + paddles, b/aids and a second instructor in the passenger seat to work pool side... result!

We can't quite do it with the TD5 we have but have managed 7 in the same fashion.

Can anyone beat 9?

Steve

I have done 9 polo boats on the roof of my 90. 3x3 was impreasive. Also often did 6or 7 on the roof woth 6 or 7 people inside my little 90 when we have uni competitions. Amazingly I never lost any!!!

Most I have ever taken was 6 on the roof and 27 on a trailer behind me. The stuff you do for clubs
 2inch Lift, 33inch Cooper STTs, Wheel Spacers, Hidden Champion 9000lbs Winch with recovery points, Full Underbody Protection including Rear Bumper Guard, Rock Sliders, Snorkel, 4x4 screen enabled and Sat Nav on the move (thanks to Bodsy), Discreet LED roof lights, LED work light, BAS Re-map and EGR's blanked, V8 Brake upgrade with Grooved, Drilled and Slotted Brakes, Halo Fog Lamps, Roof Rack, 240V Inverter, CB radio and finally a Swing away wheel carrier with Hi-Lift mount...  
Post #113636826th Jul 2013 6:31 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >