Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

Car Diagnostic Scanner/Code Reader OBD II CAN
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
UNG

United Kingdom 

The FCR is only a reader and reset tool so you can't break anything. You can reset the faults which may delay the dealer sorting problems out as the fault history will not be available but that is all
 "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag'em down to your level. It's cheaper".  
Post #59329330th Jan 2010 10:14 am
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Sorry Chaps
Rant warning Shocked Shocked

It's a little known fact that under the 2002 European Block exemption regulation BER1400/2002 which is designed entirely to stop vehicle manufacturers from creating a monopoly, everyone is given the absolute right to service and repair their vehicle independent of a dealer. That's right, anyone can service their own vehicle as long as they do so and sign off in accordance with the LR service sheet.

Under section 28, this regulation even specifically details that manufacturers must make information available to allow and enable third party diagnostic equipment suppliers such as us to produce independent diagnostic equipment.

Of course they do not supply such information, and use various loop holes and deception to avoid doing so, which has been highlighted in various independently commissioned studies as to ascertain various manufacturers degree of compliance with the regulations.

My favorite quote from such a study on several manufacturers but in my case about Ford which controls Land Rover, is
"Ford stated that they do supply the required information, but in fact they do not"
Laughing Laughing Laughing

Although such studies have created a general call in political circles for reassessment and a tightening of the exemption regulations, which it is hoped may one day happen, and may force better complience, it actually matters to me not one bit.

Even although there is tons of anti access mechanisms to prevent it, we have quite obviously learned how to overcome and get round them without any help, and so for over Ten years we have been figuring out how to access these on board systems and provide diagnostic equipment for them, and we typically always do this to a far better Degree than even Land Rover can do themselves.

Never ever forget that ultimately it is you who owns the Vehicle, you paid for it with good money, which includes all of it's masses of built in self diagnostic technology and you damned well have the right to access it and use that to your total advantage and as you see fit.

Post #5949441st Feb 2010 7:46 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
IanNP

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Wey-Hey Colin - way to go!!

The block exemption is due for renewal/update soon - should be interesting to see if anything changes.

Post #5983156th Feb 2010 7:27 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Yea sorry it was such a rant, but it really Censored me off that manufactures so often regard their die hard brand loyal fans as nothing more than cash cows, frightening and hearding them with warranty and other such crap as they see fit.
I know a ve vamp of the BER is in progress, and an updated version due out any time now, but despite their best efforts, i really don't think it will help the man in the street all that much and the kneniving manufacturers will still find some loop hole to use.

There seems to be such a vast chasm between the politics and technology that might well never be closed.

In the meantime, i will go on to produce equipment that provides the unprecedented levels of capability and access that it is known for.

For those regular Joes in the street, not quite following this like IanNP and i so obviously are, let me try to summarise it for you.

Land Rover, like most vehicle manufacturers, would quite like it if only they could access and benefit from the vast amounts of built in self diagnostic technology on board of the vehicles they make and sell, as indeed they have for years now. However that represents a monopoly that the European union are most keen to prevent and as such they have introduced legislation under which any owner in Europe has the absolute right to access and use the built in self diagnostic technology independent of a dealer as they wish.

Under this legislation, manufacturers are supposed to provide third party equipment providers, like us, with enough information to provide what we already do, ie a totally independent diagnostic system, but they are using loop holes in the legislation to not do so.

My take is that they can jolly well kiss my ass, as we can do this without any help from them anyway and as many of you know, our MSV-2 system can provide capability that they can only dream of anyway. And i am sure that this will answer the question as to why LR have never legally jumped up and down all over the likes of a small outfit like BBS when we so obviously fly right in their face.
Well now you know.

Some dealers however still live under a total misconception that they can manipulate your vehicles warranty conditions and so on to their advantage.

Sadly some of their customers still believe in that by gone era too.

Post #60108110th Feb 2010 9:11 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
KostasA

Greece 

Gents,
good morning. can you please help me on the following. i leave in Nairobi, Kenya and i have an LR3. Bought it last year and after a bad experience (went for timing belt and destroyed the car) the engine is fine and operating again (after full rebuild). i would like your opinion on diagnostic program. please keep in mind that here is mostly DIY as garages almost don't exist.
after some research have concluded in the following three:
1. 4Dcan of RSW solution (http://www.rswsolutions.com/index.php/discovery-iii-lr3/4dcan-diagnostic-tool)
2. fault meter FCR
3. Lynx systems (http://www.lynx-diagnostics.com/about-lynx-diagnostics/) very expensive!!

i do understand that FCR is avery good machine but the only problem that i see is the connection to the PC. i would like to have that option since it looks more easy to do modifications and diagnostics.

your help would be really appreciated.

Post #162820420th Mar 2016 8:15 am
srandall

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3
Faultmate FCR or Hawkeye

Hello

I have Disco 2 3 and 4 and a looking to be able to carry out Diagnostics? I have been looking at the Faultmate and the Hawkeye Total Diagnostic.

Can any one advise Pros and Cons?

Can either reprogram features ? For example If you wanted to activate day time running on the lights ?

Thanks

Simon

Post #186217626th Sep 2017 10:19 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >