Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Under Car Wiring
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
BN

England 

Guys, if you think the rear wiring is not good, take a look under the bonnet (hood for our US friends). Personally, I would not even like to pressure wash the car. I was always taught that electric wires and water do not mix too well Shocked It would be nice for LR (Ford) to give an answer to this intersting wiring, because I am sure many of the problems are a direct result of poor routing of the wires. Rolling Eyes

Post #32637th May 2005 10:12 am
Dom Harvey
Lord of the Four Fingers 

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

BN - to put your mind at rest, I have pressure washed mine about 12 times without any adverse effects, fingers crossed Smile
 2004 Discovery 3 - gone
2006 Discovery 3 - gone
2008 Discovery 3 GS - gone
2011 Freelander LE Special Edition - gone
2007 Discovery 3 XS - gone
2012 Discovery 4 GS - current 

Post #32657th May 2005 10:35 am
Phil B

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I had a crawl underneath mine today and I've got all the exposed wiring too. Even inside the car, if you tip the middle row seats forward to allow access to the rears, there's exposed wiring for the seat heaters which looks like it will get kicked about and damaged pretty soon. It all looks like the wiring was done after the car was designed and that they've not really done a thorough job.

And what are those bloody great metal weights that swing about under the back bumper? Please don't tell me they're for balance!

Post #33148th May 2005 11:48 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hi Phil

The weights have been discussed here: http://disco3.web-rover.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=229

Smile

Martin

Post #33179th May 2005 12:13 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Phil B

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Thanks Martin

Post #33189th May 2005 12:29 am
BN

England 

I have to eat my words a little guys about the wiring Embarassed . I spent the day at LR Eastnor yesterday trying to break a D3 Very Happy . I did manage to get the brakes to squeal a few times Sad , but that was simply grit and a simple reverse removed the grit until the next time, which was a little frequent. I submerged the D3 in at least 2 feet of very muddy water many many times and no lights came on or any malfunctions reported. The vehicle was LR's so I took a look underneath at the wiring and it was the same as mine, exposed. The door seals are excellent and did not let in any water at all, which means the rest of the underbody was watertight, but the air intake behind the front offside headlight was a bit low and when the bow wave came over the bonnet, it was of concern, careful for those who venture into water. I also carried out a hill decent in neutral down their quarry bank Shocked with HDC for those who know the area and the braking system worked awesomely. The bank is very very high (about 150 feet and for those who do not know it and it is not possible to walk up it without crampons. The HDC was amassing, but I did ask the question, what happens if the fuse blows and the answer was, pray. If the fuse does blow, then revert to manual braking of course, but it ain't as good as HDC in vengence. Much more detail if anyone interested, so pm me.

Post #382927th May 2005 9:14 am
ducati

BN wrote:
I have to eat my words a little guys about the wiring Embarassed . I spent the day at LR Eastnor yesterday trying to break a D3 Very Happy . I did manage to get the brakes to squeal a few times Sad , but that was simply grit and a simple reverse removed the grit until the next time, which was a little frequent. I submerged the D3 in at least 2 feet of very muddy water many many times and no lights came on or any malfunctions reported. The vehicle was LR's so I took a look underneath at the wiring and it was the same as mine, exposed. The door seals are excellent and did not let in any water at all, which means the rest of the underbody was watertight, but the air intake behind the front offside headlight was a bit low and when the bow wave came over the bonnet, it was of concern, careful for those who venture into water. I also carried out a hill decent in neutral down their quarry bank Shocked with HDC for those who know the area and the braking system worked awesomely. The bank is very very high (about 150 feet and for those who do not know it and it is not possible to walk up it without crampons. The HDC was amassing, but I did ask the question, what happens if the fuse blows and the answer was, pray. If the fuse does blow, then revert to manual braking of course, but it ain't as good as HDC in vengence. Much more detail if anyone interested, so pm me.

Post a nice little mini-review! I'd love to hear about it.

I've taken my D3 through a few stream crossings and lots of mud and have had no problems with the exposed wires. Fingers crossed!

Question about the air intake--I assumed the cutout on the right side of the body was for the engine air intake... But it's behind the headlight, a la Disco 2? What is that "air intake" on the right for?
 '05 LR3 HSE

Departed: '62 Series IIA, '02 Freelander, '03 Disco 

Post #384827th May 2005 1:18 pm
BN

England 

It is all part of the air intake, but the one that does the damage is the one behind the headlight. I need to take a closer look for myself as I did not have time the other day. By the way, don't stand beside the offside intake with the engine running, you are liable to get sucked in.

Re wading, if you get the speed correct the bow wave can reduce water under the car, saving the wiring. What I did was to stop in mid stream. Thats when I had to eat my words as I thought the whole darn'd warning light system would start complete with bells and whistles.

However I did learn that some of the brake errors are caused by water, so there is a wiring weakness.

Post #385427th May 2005 2:06 pm
ducati

I shoudl clarify--I was under the assumption that the ONLY intake is the one on the outside of the car. Why have that intake outside if there's another one inside the engine bay? Just a styling exercise?

What about that snorkel on the G4 car--what did they do to the intake inside, seal it up?
 '05 LR3 HSE

Post #385727th May 2005 2:48 pm
BN

England 

I am not sure yet, I need to take a look, because I thought the one outside was for the snorkel and the only one, didn't even think about any others. Does anyone know out there.

Post #385827th May 2005 3:12 pm
ducati

I'll take a closer look under the bonnet this weekend. I really haven't looked at that thing much Embarassed

I'll be careful not to let my necktie get near the intake, as per your instructions Very Happy
 '05 LR3 HSE

Post #385927th May 2005 3:23 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Or any local Ohio wildlife... mind you, it would make a great racoon trap !

-s

Post #386227th May 2005 4:17 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

As you may recall, I did my experience course a few weeks ago at Skipton. The D3 I used was an early HSE, and it was crashing its electronics for fun all day! I must have had to reboot (restart) it 10 times throughout the day.

It did not seem to be moisture that caused it, because it was very dry on the course, but it was extreme articulation or bumps that set it off.

The instructor told me that it was going back to land Rover after I had driven it, as it was causing too much time to be lost on the course.

Thouroughly enjoyed it though, and have since taken mine off road with no adverse effects.

Post #387627th May 2005 11:25 pm
mse

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

You think the exposed wiring is bad - have you seen the location of the multi-plugs that are already failing water ingress tests due to construction defects and off road damage!

Post #551627th Jun 2005 1:42 am
BN

England 

mse, again this is a post we discussed at length some time ago. The wiring is not good for an off roader or any car to that end where it is. Some of us have protected the joints with silicon. How long will it last, who knows and that is if the damage has not been done already. My weights were rubbing the wiring harness for the 'tow pack' wires, not good.

Post #552327th Jun 2005 7:27 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >