Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Under Car Wiring
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
BN

England 
Under Car Wiring

Martin has placed a couple of pictures in the Gallery of some undercar wiring for me. Take a look, this is not the wiring for a off road car and it may explain why so many of the problems are electrically or electronically based. The photographs are taken from the rear of the car and on the (UK) cars nearside just next to the spare wheel. See if your cars are the same.

Post #32166th May 2005 7:19 am
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Post #32186th May 2005 8:36 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Dom Harvey
Lord of the Four Fingers 

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Yup I've got those beautifully exposed, what are LR doing its not as if they don't have any experience of building off road vehicles now is it Confused
 2004 Discovery 3 - gone
2006 Discovery 3 - gone
2008 Discovery 3 GS - gone
2011 Freelander LE Special Edition - gone
2007 Discovery 3 XS - gone
2012 Discovery 4 GS - current 

Post #32346th May 2005 3:49 pm
lawman

Good afternoon everyone from the new boy on the block. I am expecting a TD HSE is a couple of weeks time and have read just about every post on this excellent site, some of which I find quite alarming in terms of D3 reliability. On the wiring issue, I spoke to someone at LR about this a few weeks ago (and a number of other things, such as the misleading video clip on the LR USA site about crash testing - the D3/LR3 has NEVER been independently tested and LR refuse to release their data) and was assured (although I wasn't re-assured) that the exposed wiring problem had been addressed on cars undergoing construction at the time I called. So I'd be very interested to hear whether members' with recently delivered cars have the wiring problem.

Post #32356th May 2005 4:44 pm
BN

England 

Dom Harvey wrote:
Yup I've got those beautifully exposed, what are LR doing its not as if they don't have any experience of building off road vehicles now is it Confused

Sadly I think this is a Ford interference. LR knew what they were doing, but when BMW took over then Ford, I have a feeling LR is now a bit of a mess like its wiring and CS.

Post #32376th May 2005 5:53 pm
Dom Harvey
Lord of the Four Fingers 

Just as a matter of interest what was LRCS like before the days of BMW and Ford, with my previous LR 110 I never had cause to find out Question
 2004 Discovery 3 - gone
2006 Discovery 3 - gone

Post #32386th May 2005 6:20 pm
BN

England 

Dom, they were never a problem because the vehicle was so basic and solid it ran on and on. Small defects were sorted by the dealer within no time. I still have Special Vehicle 110's with water leaks around the doors and windows, but no other problems. I have never needed a Disco before, so I cannot comment on them. Range Rovers were also fine until the interference of BMW.

Wires were simply not placed under the vehicle, always inside and when BMW became involved they placed an electronic module under the drivers seat 1" below its sold as 'wading level'. The module cost £1000 to replace and we got through a few. I then went back to Special Vehicles built on a TD5 110 body but with TDi 300 series engines, slow but sure and no electronics.

The Disco3 is fantastic generally but the electrics are useless.

Post #32396th May 2005 7:23 pm
Dom Harvey
Lord of the Four Fingers 

Thanks BN you've just reminded me we had a leak on the 110 seal round door and an electrical fault which locked us out and immobilised the engine - guess what it was a TD5 - BMW era - when all the trouble seemed to have started.
 2004 Discovery 3 - gone
2006 Discovery 3 - gone

Post #32456th May 2005 7:57 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

lawman wrote:
... and was assured (although I wasn't re-assured) that the exposed wiring problem had been addressed on cars undergoing construction at the time I called. So I'd be very interested to hear whether members' with recently delivered cars have the wiring problem.

Thanks Lawman and welcome !

I'd personally be more interested to hear that LR dealers will rectify the exposed wiring we have so that when I go 'on-road' in the wet, my fog light warning indicator (ie telling me they are on) on the instrument display stayed OFF !

I have an 'S' and have NO fog lights fitted !

Makes me wonder what would happen if I did wade 700mm off or on road !

Post #32486th May 2005 8:18 pm
Ecosse

Yes, my early build TDV6 HSE has the exposed wiring, very concerning. Would be interested to know whether anyone with a very recent car has this? Sad

Post #32496th May 2005 8:26 pm
lawman

Thanks Simon and good point. Paying circa 40K for a supposedly allround car that can conquer just about everything but could struggle on a wet normal road is totally ridiculous. How much does LR claim it spent on development!!?? Was water removed from the equation? In fact, unbelievable that anyone, engineer or not, could possibly imagine the wiring arrangement (SO simple to fix) is sensible beggars belief. The whole car has more computing power than early moonshots so, hmm, if the electrics fail, we are stuffed.

Post #32516th May 2005 8:39 pm
Kevin

United Kingdom 

Hello BN

I had a crawl under the car this evening.

Yes I have the exposed wiring too. The wires disapear into some kind of junction box mounted on the chasis frame.

My Vin Number is SALLAAA175A314008 so i gues it is fairly early even though i did not order the car until february and collected it on 01 March.
 Kevin

BAS TUNE

Faultmate MSV-2 MULTI VEHICLE 

Post #32526th May 2005 9:19 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Mine's a FEB 05 build and it is exactly the same as the pics from BN. On the other side of the rear (RHS) in the wheel arch is a wire loom and a single wire hanging out of that loom. It's probably more vulnerable to rocks and moisture since its in the wheel arch.

There are quite a few plugs and wire looms under the chassis - I guess it is the price to pay for having so much electronic wizardry but LR could have protected this stuff better. Look at the engine bay with the fuse box/battery and brake master/ABS which are all enclosed in plastic boxes which have foam rubber seals. Check you doors with double seals. It looks like LR considered the visible stuff and protected it but ignored the stuff most people can't see.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #32567th May 2005 5:07 am
Stingray

Wales 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

My April build HSE also has the same exposed wiring. I have access to a four-post lift, so I can really see what the wiring situation is, and it is not impressive! I discovered this when carrying out some rust-proofing - another issue poorly attended to by the factory. At 2 weeks old, the car is back at the dealers to sort a water leak problem (windscreen). I've had a Freelander courtesy car for two days, which they now need back, so I'm just about to go a collect whatever they decide to give me for the weekend!

Post #32577th May 2005 7:48 am
BN

England 

Dom Harvey wrote:
Thanks BN you've just reminded me we had a leak on the 110 seal round door and an electrical fault which locked us out and immobilised the engine - guess what it was a TD5 - BMW era - when all the trouble seemed to have started.

Yep, you got it spot on Evil or Very Mad

Post #32627th May 2005 9:05 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >