Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Caravan finance
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
blue_manc

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
Caravan finance

Thinking of going for a tintent. Not too clued up on finance, but it looks like PCP type finance not available.

Would we therefore have to finance the whole deal in one straight line loan?

What is the depreciation profile like on caravans- eg if we get 6 year finance to make it palatable per month then will the van be worth less than the finance for the majority of that so we are locked in?

Post #9289167th May 2012 8:19 am
bambi

England 

Depreciation is shocking, for the first few yrs, when trading in at a dealer, less so when selling private. I have never used finance on caravans, but I don't buy new.

Generally the moment you take it off the forecourt , you owe more than its worth.

Depending on yer circumstances maybe a slightly older S/H caravan may be more cost effective, cos there I a ruck of kit to buy, and sh caravans have all this in.

Post #9289247th May 2012 8:33 am
Grunders

2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I agree with bambi, try and go second hand, the newer the better, the initial depreciation has gone, if you go for a private sale normaly you can get the kit including awnings thrown in, the mark up the dealers put on is horrendous...

Just make sure the van has service history and CRIS registration, what i did was go to the dealers to get an idea of the van i Wanted then go through the ads to find the same van private.. I have bought off ebay twice with no problems..
 If it ain't broke... Take it apart anyway, how else you gonna find out how it works  
Post #9289297th May 2012 8:47 am
blue_manc

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Thx. Is it easy to arrange finance on 2nd hand, or am I effectively arranging a loan so the tintent has no bearing on the finance?

Post #9289347th May 2012 8:58 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I would reckon so, bank loan is the way to go if you don't have the spare cash.

I bought my current 2005 model year caravan off ebay for 12k. It was 3 yrs old when I bought it, and cost 19k new with all the bits I got with it. It was mint condition, and 1 owner with all the numbers checked out.

I I wanted to sell now, Its still good for about 8 - 9k at the right time of year.

Post #9289357th May 2012 9:03 am
gazdiver

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

We bought our caravan secondhand as suggested its CRIS reg and to be honest we bought from a dealer in Leicester being our first caravan the 12 month warranty did give some peace of mind, and they serviced it and put on new tyres as they were getting old not worn just coming up to 5 year old, its those little things you need to look at date stamp on any flexible gas hoses etc
i would also have a look at some of the classifieds for sale items in caravan club magazine, a good place for second hand caravans, and the CC have some good downloadable guides for buying second hand or Sadly you could have a look in Caravan TV ( yes there is such a thing) Rolling with laughter they do a lot of new stuff but sometimes do some second hand buy's

Gary

Post #9289367th May 2012 9:03 am
bambi

England 

blue_manc wrote:
Thx. Is it easy to arrange finance on 2nd hand, or am I effectively arranging a loan so the tintent has no bearing on the finance?

Yup,

Post #9289697th May 2012 10:06 am
Madrunner

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Also depends what sort of deposit you are looking to put down, what your budget is etc.

Some dealers still have 2010 stock (sold as 2011 my) at heavily discounted prices and if you have no part ex then you will get a bundle of stuff thrown in.

As for second hand go as new as poss as in recent years the majority came with transferable 6 year manufacturers warranty which is handy.

We bought a 2010 brand new van with over £3k off new with everything we needed thrown in. We traded in 9 months later for £800 less than we paid, albeit against a much more expensive van.

Get yourself round some dealers and haggle like hell !!!

Post #9290407th May 2012 2:10 pm
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

We bought a brand new van in 2009, sold it more than a year later privately for £500 less than I paid.

It was a 2009 model bought in sept 09 just as the new 2010 models came out so got a good discount.

Post #9290537th May 2012 2:49 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

The caravan dealers couldn't match the bank loan finance rates

Looking on compare the market, I found the bank was by far the best rate, I can over pay too, check out first direct rates

Pick my new caravan up next week Smile

Post #9290957th May 2012 4:22 pm
riverblanche

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

would agree with all the above ^^^^^^

sort your own finance before hand

Haggle HARD at dealers they can move alot if no p/ex our last one came from a dealer who dealt in 5th wheeler homes! and came with many extras.

Narrow down your choice and be prepared to travel

A word of warning about oem damp warranty... read the small print, I understand bailey did insist on it being one of their recognised dealers (no mobile man no matter how good he is) and on the exact week of the aniversary of the van Shocked otherwise you have to contact bailey to see if they will honour it...

caravan before one we have now was 3 years old when we bought it,
they bought it new to have "family" holidays they used it four times and it came complete with all extras including a number of board games!!! they had even swopped the car to tow it with,
those four holidays cost them more than it does to run a D3 Laughing

Happy hunting PS you will never get the layout right, you always compromise on something Thumbs Up
 Transit! 2019
Gone D3 HSE 2008
Another Porsche Cayenne 2022
Gone Porsche Cayenne 2020
Gone RRS HSE Dynamic 2016
Gone RRS HSE LUX 2011
Gone RRS HSE 2006
Gone D3 SE 2.7 2008
gone D2 Td5 1999

I plan on living forever and so far so good !

Club DG Mclaren stuff

Post #9291407th May 2012 6:01 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >