Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Any caravan recommendations?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Grunders

2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

And another point worth considering, the towing rules have changed and you can now tow up to 8ft wide, which means vans such as Hobby are now legal to tow and offer some good room, however most are used as permanent sited and may need checking before any on road use
 If it ain't broke... Take it apart anyway, how else you gonna find out how it works  
Post #81699013th Jul 2011 10:52 pm
zook69

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

thanks for for Hobby info ... I saw a Hobby for sale on the internet last night.

I looked into it briefly and saw that to tow a caravan with a body length >7m I would need a vehicle with a weight > 3500kg.

Its funny, most of the more affordable Hobby's are > 7m !!
 Despite the cost of living, it remains as popular as ever!  
Post #81704514th Jul 2011 8:08 am
Grunders

2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

7m is the top size ones, the 650 range are as that 6.5m, which are ok to tow with a suitable car which the disco far exceeds
 If it ain't broke... Take it apart anyway, how else you gonna find out how it works  
Post #81705614th Jul 2011 8:45 am
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

One thing you need to be aware of is that most foreign vans have their door on the other side.
No big deal there, but just so that you know when you pitch up you'll have your door facing the next vans door.
As I said, no great issue, just something you should be aware of.

Fixed bed layout is def the best for me - but that's with no kids!
Looked at some new ones this week, but at a whopping 22k that's an awful lot of money
[esp with a new D4]
Thumbs Up
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #81707514th Jul 2011 9:56 am
mark the spark

2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

i would avoid the Hobby as popular with the "travelling comunity" and a few sites have signs up "no Hobby lords Wypert vans allowed" to discourage them so definately avoid. for value for money and resale Bailey takes some beating although can feel a bit cheap and chearful i have had Lunar swift and coachman and lately elldis all of which have gone downmarket build wise in last few years but generally "feel" better all personal choice

I wanted an L shaped lounge for a while and now having one can say its the worst idea i ever had totally impracticle for seating 4 if you have friends in for a drink or to eat at table with stick with traditional two front bench layouts.

For £8k you should find 06/07 private 04/05 at dealers but would recommend taking a hand held damp meter to check if buying private and have a good look , theres a lot for sale at the moment so its a buyers market

Whatever your choice you can be assured that the D3 is worlds best towcar and will tow anything anywhere with ease

would recommend ebay classifieds

happy hunting and good luck Thumbs Up

Post #81714514th Jul 2011 12:46 pm
maplecottage

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Had several 'vans in my 20+ years of tin tenting !! Single axles and Twins.

Swift Group - OK if you get a good one and all of mine were reliable.

Abbey - no problems either.

Avondale - utter cr*p. Bought it new on a Friday, went to dealer to seek a part ex on the Sunday !!!

Bailey - current van, well put together, does 'what it says on the tin' Rolling with laughter

You pay your money and you take your choice, but.......as said by others, the L-shape is a disaster. Looks really good when you are in the market but actual practicality, forget it. I know, I spent 2 years with one.

That said - whatever you decide to buy, you'll enjoy it Thumbs Up Thumbs Up .

Steve

Post #81724814th Jul 2011 7:18 pm
slow joe

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

HI THEIR RICH.
IVE HAD HOBBY CARAVANS FOR LAST 12 YEARS 4 DIFFERENT ONES,
and would not go back to a english tourer again,
hobbys are 8ft wide high inside and very strong,
the one i have now is 25ft 720 exclusive which im now selling to get one without bunk beds as kids are grown up.
discos tow them loverly, would recconmend to anyone who wants a bit of room and comfort.
hope this helps JOE........[/list]

Post #81729514th Jul 2011 9:27 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Dexter

Scotland 

Hi, we've had a few too, my advise would be to get as big as you can - they all basically tow the same and the car can handle it no trouble at all. Twin axles tend to be more stable on the road but harder to manouvre on-site. Get as many fixed bunks / beds as practical for your family as the nightly chore of bedmaking is to be minimised wherever possible.

All makes are generally the same price for price, you get good ones and Friday specials from them all, build quality is generally average at best and expect to carry out constant running repairs as the kids will test the safe working limits of all the furnishings, daily.

Whatever you get first, you'll change it after a couple of years - that's just the way of it Laughing

We've had great holidays for the last 10 years and we're off again today for two weeks over on the West 8)

Click image to enlarge

Must get a new photo though .............................

Post #81740415th Jul 2011 8:56 am
moorman

Wales 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Caravaning since the 1980s and would recommend you take a long hard look at caravan forums like 'Caravan talk' and 'Caravaning4U'. I have had 2 foreign built twin axle caravans which covered some 20+ years one did 14 years and never missed a beat including 2 ski holidays a year to the Alps. In March 2009 I purchased a new British built Buccaneer Caravel which on it's first holiday in France buckled and creased the side panel above and behind the door. The manufacturers were sadly lacking in customer care and when I pointed out to their visiting engineer the bowed sides and the drooping front corners he replied "that's normal". They would not give me a replacement only offering a bodge of a repair. I have since found out that a number of others of this make have suffered the same fate. The most recent I saw on the dockside at Calais last week.
Would suggest you buy a good quality damp meter and a straight edge to check for bowing walls.

Post #81748415th Jul 2011 2:05 pm
z4cAtS

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Abbey

Hello,
We originally had an Abbey Freestyle 560, (also known as a 330).
This is a 6 berth with fixed bunks at the back, which would suit your kids size wise.

You should be able to find a nice one for your money.

Take a look at
http://www.caravanfinder.co.uk/caravan_sea...cation=All

There are a few there.

Post #81771016th Jul 2011 9:20 am
Andy Metropolis

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Had Swift. Compass and now have a Coachman Amara which is a well made van with plenty of room and spec is good. L shapes look nice but as said before no room if sitting in the front window Shocked Stick to your budget and shop about will be some good deals on 2011 models as the 2012 ones will be out soon.
 Range Rover Velar HSE First Edition
Disco Sport HSE Lux
Evoque Pure Tech Gone
Disco 3 Metropolis gone
Freelander ES sadly gone
Ant 1963 SWB Series 2 still here
Audi A4 gone 

Post #81771216th Jul 2011 9:29 am
zook69

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

thanks all, some great advice.
I'm liking the bunk bed ideas.

My damp meter unfortunately says it's too damp outside (it's tipping down here today) so trips to caravan shops are on hold for today!

thanks
Rich
 Despite the cost of living, it remains as popular as ever!  
Post #81771316th Jul 2011 9:30 am
robsmith

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Its the best weather to go and look at caravans as any water ingress from above will be very much in evidence - probably more applicable to old vans than new ones, but you never know....
 Rob Smith
Silver rools OK

Post #81773916th Jul 2011 11:05 am
Curly

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 TDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Have any of you got any pictures of Your disco with caravan. Just interested Wink

Post #8538931st Nov 2011 2:37 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mik

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

zook69 wrote:
thanks for for Hobby info ... I saw a Hobby for sale on the internet last night.

We have a Fendt 490 that we are considering selling (not up for sale yet). Same spec and layout as THIS ONE but ours is either 2005 or 2007 (I need to check!).

Would come in well under your budget - great condition, and better fit / finish than the Hobby's (IMHO) without the same "traveller" association (although this demographic do use the larger twin-axle Fendt's too ~ for the reasons I've mentioned above Smile )

Post #8538961st Nov 2011 2:49 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >