Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Caravan servicing and warranty work
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Ali1971

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4
Caravan servicing and warranty work

Ok question on a new or nearly new van , if I buy down south can I take it to a local service point near me for all warranty work? Had it my head I would need to use whom I bought from ?

Post #197461716th Aug 2018 4:51 pm
Pelyma

England 

Yes you can, our Fleetwood was supplied by Droylesdon Caravans near Manchester, but serviced in Havant Hampshire. I would check with your manufacturer though.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #197463016th Aug 2018 5:09 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Legally you are supposed to be able to, but many dealers will make it difficult to get booked in etc or even do the work if you did not buy from them so suggest talk to your local dealer first
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #197465616th Aug 2018 5:49 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
nigel207

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

As Russell says, in theory yes, but dealers don’t have to take on any work, and often adopt the attitude of “If you didn’t buy it from us, why should we do any work on it?” Most dealerships are very busy working on their own customers caravans so don’t need the extra work.

We often mistake/compare the caravan industry with the motor industry. In reality, they are nothing alike.

People often find out the hard way. They get what looks like a cracking deal at one of the shows (NEC) from a dealer who is several hundred miles away. That’s fine until they need some work doing and then find out that they have to take it back to the supplying dealership, which in the long run negates the initial savings.

Post #197466316th Aug 2018 5:58 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

I was very lucky when I brought a Bailey Unicorn from up north and then took it to my local Bailey dealer for waranty work, thye did it and serviced it for the next three years. When I chnaged at the NEC i ended up buying from my local dealer following "A" the service and "B" only being £200 dearer than another dealer up north.
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #197467016th Aug 2018 6:29 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Washwipe

England 

Dealer near me refuses to undertake any work now unless you bought from them, that covers three dealers, Swindon, Oxford and Reading, they are not alone in this and nothing the manufacturer can do about it.
Caravan industry doesn’t work like the car industry, your Disco is made up of lots of parts and assembled by LR and the warranty for all the parts is via the dealer with LR, caravans, same again, lots of parts assembled by, Bailey/Lunar/Swift etc, but the warranty is covered by each different supplier, Alde for the heating, Whale for the water, Dometic for the fridge, Alko the chassis, etc, hence each problem the dealer has to deal with each supplier, not the caravan manufacturer, they only cover the shell.
Lots of hassle for little reward.

Post #197467616th Aug 2018 6:42 pm
Peakwayfarer

England 

Just bought a new caravan from a dealer in East Sussex, we live in Derbyshire!

And we had a great two week holiday in that lovely part of England.

However the deal was very good, much better than any of the dealers within a 50 mile radius to our home.
So far very pleased with the caravan, a couple of minor and easy niggles that are being sorted by the dealer who is posting the bits to me to effect a repair.

It’s already booked in for its first service next year “down South” and we have planned and booked another holiday in that part of the world which we are looking forward to which makes it all the more worthwhile.

Post #197468616th Aug 2018 7:08 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Is it by any chance Caravan Tech?
D4 camera club 

Post #197469616th Aug 2018 7:48 pm
Peakwayfarer

England 

Not caravan tech, but visited them for a few bits and pieces, a very good selection of bits and bobs

Post #197469916th Aug 2018 7:55 pm
daftlad

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Bought my Swift challenger for Marquis leisure 18 months ago when last serviced it needs a new alarm
I could have had it done by a mobile caravan engineer or anywhere as long as it was an approved and vat reg business

Post #197470016th Aug 2018 8:01 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Check what they requirement for body work is, most likely approved garage etc

But you don’t want to throw away many years cover for a small mistake

Post #197470416th Aug 2018 8:13 pm
al cope

England 

with Elddis there are some just service centers, so not selling dealships, and these will do warranty work and servicing irrespective of where the 'van came from. I checked this my my local one in the midlands before buying from Preston.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #197476717th Aug 2018 7:48 am
Biffysun

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
Re: Caravan servicing and warranty work

Ali1971 wrote:
Ok question on a new or nearly new van , if I buy down south can I take it to a local service point near me for all warranty work? Had it my head I would need to use whom I bought from ?

As said above most local dealers will happily service the van but will not take on warranty work. I bought my new van in Preston (great deal) and as long as its serviced by a NCC approved agent then the warranty will be fine. When it comes to warranty work, major issues are usually referred to the 'supplying dealer' but minor stuff can (and has been) rectified by my local 'approved' service agent without issue.
I see you (OP) are in Fife and the agent I use who is Bailey and Elddis approved (Possibly Lunar too) is in Dunfermline so maybe worth speaking to him. Thumbs Up

Post #197478217th Aug 2018 8:17 am
Ali1971

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Dunfermline?? Who is that ?? Not far from me ? Perthshire caravans has a nice 1yr old van but not budging on price as it’s cash only! Might be best waiting till the depths of winter to buy lol

Post #197492817th Aug 2018 5:07 pm
Biffysun

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

PM sent 8)

Post #197493117th Aug 2018 5:24 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >