Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Cars cant intimidate D3's
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
freebie2disco

United Kingdom 
Cars cant intimidate D3's

I had the first long drive in the new D3 this weekend which confirmed a couple of things for me. Its great for comfortable motorway cruising, you can get 30mpg quite easily even with a tight engine and other cars cant intimate you by driving up close behind. A few times during the journey when overtaking a "Elephant Race" or just some slower cars in the middle lane, I was cruising in the outside lane doing the normal fast but not so fast kind of speeds that plod may warn you about but not book you for. On at least a couple of these occasions a car usually a BMW would come up behind and do the intimidation thing even though there was no where to actually move across in to. They employed the usual tactics coming right up behind to within a few feet of the bumper or sitting with full beam on. Both tactics can be easily ignored in the D3, when they get too close you cant even see the lights and if they hang back and give it with the headlamps the mirror darkens and again can be easily ignored. An additional benefit is the amount of spray the D3 kicks up behind covering their windscreen in copious quantities of motorway crap. All in all this makes it a very pleasant drive.
Very Happy

Post #12309323rd Jan 2007 11:24 am
davesimmons

Canada 

Good hey Wink get yourself a towbar and the tailgater's outcome is bleaker still Thumbs Up

Post #12309623rd Jan 2007 11:36 am
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Very Happy Nice not to be hurried into an accident isn't it? Who says 4x4s aren't safer? Very Happy

In what seems a previous life, my first car was a Nova; fed up with being constantly harrased by Merc/BMW/Astra drivers I adjusted one of the two rear washer jets straight back, so when they flashed me I could widdle on them in mock terror... Laughing
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #12310023rd Jan 2007 11:39 am
captain_sugar

Czech Republic 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Scotia GreyDiscovery 4

Yes, Great driving in a LR3

My experience:
If they flash at me from the back with the head lights, and I eventually let them pass (do not change my driving intentions for them though), I say them goodbye by x-raying them. Surprised

With the high bi-xenons and additional driving lights it is a nice vengance! Twisted Evil
Poor rabbits!

The auto-dimming rear mirror is great for people flashing on you in the dark. It doen't bother at all. The side mirrors are to high to reflect their light in your eyes.

Laughing

Post #12311523rd Jan 2007 12:17 pm
captain_sugar

Czech Republic 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Scotia GreyDiscovery 4

stapldm wrote:
Very Happy Nice not to be hurried into an accident isn't it? Who says 4x4s aren't safer? Very Happy

In what seems a previous life, my first car was a Nova; fed up with being constantly harrased by Merc/BMW/Astra drivers I adjusted one of the two rear washer jets straight back, so when they flashed me I could widdle on them in mock terror... Laughing

Great idea Laughing

Post #12311723rd Jan 2007 12:18 pm
SN

Had a bit of an epic travelling down to London today - the M40 was stuffed as was the A40 - lost count of the number of times idiots in beemers and mercs were tight up my Censored Shocked in the queues .... Rolling Eyes
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #12313523rd Jan 2007 1:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
keebs

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

During last weeks really wet weather, I was en route to the livery yard and had some young chav in the usual blinged up Corsa way too close to my rear end. After I had taken "Boris" through 2 really grimy puddles on the roadside, the Corsa backed way off!

I really love the anti tailgating feature of the DSC3 Very Happy

Post #12313723rd Jan 2007 1:39 pm
DiscoDad

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Or you could get one of these and program it with a few choice words!

http://sage.en.alibaba.com/product/5033341...r_Car.html
 Back in the game!  
Post #12314623rd Jan 2007 2:09 pm
D'arkuk

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

I’ve only had my D3 for just over a week, and can happily confirm all that’s been said so far, I have also found that moving into a line of traffic is now a dream, they (other drivers in lesser vehicles) just seem to let you in. Laughing
 Brute force and ignorance, the D3 does the rest.  
Post #12314723rd Jan 2007 2:13 pm
COMMANDO

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Driving too close behind

I find a dab on the brake pedal with my left foot a few times works wonders!

Post #12317123rd Jan 2007 3:01 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Another technique I use is just to clean the front screen, the spray covers their screen & they instinctively back off while they sort it. 8)

Post #12317723rd Jan 2007 3:04 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Even the Toyota Intimidator http://www.northern4x4centre.co.uk/car-detail.php?carid=71 can't intimidate the mighty D3 Smile

Post #12318623rd Jan 2007 3:26 pm
DiscoDad

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I think that certain manufacturers calling their 4X4 vehicles names like 'warrior' 'samurai' 'animal' and worst of all 'intimidator' gives the whole 4x4 market totaly the wrong kind of image.

This is the sort of thing that creates misconceptions and adds to the green (eyed) brigades anger towards our innocent hobby!
 Back in the game!  
Post #12319323rd Jan 2007 3:45 pm
freebie2disco

United Kingdom 

its interesting that Toyota is never singled out in the anti's propaganda when as you say they have some very large 4X4's with naff and intimating names. Perhaps a discussion for the greenpi$$ site.

Post #12319823rd Jan 2007 3:55 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I regularly see a Toyota Intimidator. IMO, it looks truly dire. I'd have thought it was almost guaranteed to get vandalised. Totally agree that blinged up, aggresively named 4X4's fuel the anti's flames.
Having said that, if that's want you want to drive, I don't have any problem with it. The TVR, that is often parked near to the Toyota, probably emits more CO2, can only carry one passenger & virtually no luggage. I doubt if any "anti" would give it a second glance Mad

Post #12321323rd Jan 2007 4:35 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >