Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Cautionary Tale
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
noizeman

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Cautionary Tale

I'm collecting my new D3 HSE this Friday and I've just informed my insurer, Tesco, about the change. They've said they'll insure the new vehicle at the same reasonable premium, £850, as my current car (Volvo S80 T6) but they say they won't insure for theft unless I fit a tracker and they won't insure the D3 for "4x4 off-road events"!

So I then rang NFU mutual (on the recommendation of my LR dealer) who asked me lots of questions about my past driving record (I have six points) and any claims in the last five years. I told them I'd had one claim a couple of years ago for 'malicious damage' (i.e. vandalism) to a previous car, a T5, which happened while staying at a hotel away from home.

NFU rang me back later today to tell me that they were refusing to insure me because a) I would be keeping the D3 on my drive and not in a garage b) because of my previous claim for the vandalism and c) because I live in Merseyside. My six points were not relevant, apparently.

I suppose the moral of this story is: Don't make any claims on your NFU policy as you will be considered a 'risk' and therefore become uninsurable!

So it's going to cost me another £1000 or so for the bloody tracker!

Regards,

Noizeman

Post #11136420th Dec 2006 1:07 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I have had to fit a Tracker too, I am with NFU, and my car is on a driveway. I have no points but my wife who is named on the policy has 6 and a total loss against her. They insure me for £608, with off road cover.

Post code may have something to do with it, although I live in the car crime capital according to some!

Have you tried Land Rovers own insurance? I have heard its not the cheapest but could be the best for cover, espaecially no quible off road cover.

Post #11136620th Dec 2006 1:12 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Confused Have you tried any other insurers..like Land Rover Insurance for example ??
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #11136720th Dec 2006 1:13 am
noizeman

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

dickgriff wrote:
Confused Have you tried any other insurers..like Land Rover Insurance for example ??

I'll ring Landrover today. Thanks.

Post #11137920th Dec 2006 2:45 am
JakobVels

Denmark 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Re: Cautionary Tale

noizeman wrote:

So it's going to cost me another £1000 or so for the bloody tracker!

Shop around

I cannot beleive it should be more than twice the price in UK as it is here. We have 25% VAT and prices are usually higher here compared to rest of EU.

My tracker was something like £400-500 installed with 3 year subscription to a surveillance central.

I beleive the tracker is worth it. Surveillance called me on previous occations....
Once when my battery was disconnected by the dealer.
Several occations when the dealer moved my car on a trailer when the engine was off.

Cheers
Jakob

Post #11138220th Dec 2006 7:33 am
Disco Dog

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Just had a tracker fitted to my G4. I believe the one to go for is Trackstar, it's about the cheapest on the market and it is one of the few that the Police are hooked into. Cost about £800 including a duration ov vehicle ownewship subscription.
Uses GPS tracking, keep away from the ones that use a Mobile signal, my dealer told me they are next to useless.
BTW it saved me the magnificent sum of £60 per year with Land Rover insurance.
PM/e-mail me if you want more details.

John
 2006 G4 Challenge Support Vehicle  
Post #11138520th Dec 2006 8:44 am
JakobVels

Denmark 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Disco Dog wrote:

Uses GPS tracking, keep away from the ones that use a Mobile signal, my dealer told me they are next to useless.

Mine has both....

The gps locator used to accurately pinpoint the location. Moblie connection is used to query the device or send alarms, but also as a backup to locte the car when gps signal does not reach the car.

Cheers
Jakob

Post #11138920th Dec 2006 10:13 am
oliver77

Wales 

Have Land Rover Watch fitted instead. Better than tracker and insurers will give you more discount

Post #11139020th Dec 2006 10:18 am
Pelyma

England 

I would imagine it is the damage bit that is concerning them with the car not garaged (I know it didn't happen at home) combined with your post code for theft. I'm with NFU doing 20K miles with business use and it is just over £500, my car is kept on the drive and I don't have tracker or the like.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #11139220th Dec 2006 10:23 am
Cliff H

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I would try quite a few more companies, must be able to better your quotes so far surely!
 Zermatt silver 06 reg.

Gone but not forgotten !!! 

Post #11139320th Dec 2006 10:28 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dgrr

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

noizeman wrote:
I'm collecting my new D3 HSE this Friday and I've just informed my insurer, Tesco, about the change. They've said they'll insure the new vehicle at the same reasonable premium, £850, as my current car (Volvo S80 T6) but they say they won't insure for theft unless I fit a tracker

Noizeman,
Try MINI cover (they will cover any car):
http://www.mini.co.uk/UK/html/finance_insu...i/home.htm
l
They have an online instant quote facility. I currently pay them a little over half what Tescos have quoted you. But all insurers are only as good as the service provided, should you need to claim - at that stage, the premiums paid become almost irrelevant. I have made 2 separate claims on my MINI cover (one was a few £000) & can certainly recommend them: not only zero hassle from start to finish, but subsequent premiums kept in check!
 DGRR  
Post #11142220th Dec 2006 11:42 am
B16 KJR

Scotland 

[quote="noizeman"]
Quote:
I'm collecting my new D3 HSE this Friday and I've just informed my insurer, Tesco, about the change. They've said they'll insure the new vehicle at the same reasonable premium, £850, as my current car (Volvo S80 T6) but they say they won't insure for theft unless I fit a tracker and they won't insure the D3 for "4x4 off-road events"!

WHAAAAT !! I paid £270 to insure mine and I thought that was expensive. No tracker and it sits outside in the street, it is insured for both myself and my wife to drive fully comp with protected for life NCD with MORETH>N. Try them.

Post #11143120th Dec 2006 11:59 am
TB

England 

Try Land Rover insurance, my RRS is insured fully comp for me and the wife including off road use and protected no claims discount. Kept on the driveway over night. No tracker required.

All in for just over £500.
 Arctic Frost RR Sport. TDV6 SE. Aspen Leather, Tow pack, PTI, Privacy Glass, Tasmods, Mudflaps & a RRSport umbrella in the boot.

Post #11159220th Dec 2006 4:36 pm
twizzle

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Pelyma wrote:
I would imagine it is the damage bit that is concerning them with the car not garaged (I know it didn't happen at home) combined with your post code for theft. I'm with NFU doing 20K miles with business use and it is just over £500, my car is kept on the drive and I don't have tracker or the like.

I'm just down the road from Pelyma, Car on Drive 20K PA Wife and Business Use with no tracker and i'm paying the same with NFU.....
 i'm lovin it....  
Post #11161120th Dec 2006 4:55 pm
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Try Adrian Flux, they are reasonable, cover offroad and seem very flexible to modifications Very Happy
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #11161620th Dec 2006 5:04 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to: