Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

Central Australia Trip
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
SMK

Australia 
Central Australia Trip

Finally got around to sorting out my pics from our trip in April and have posted some to my Gallery.

Our trip was to Central Australia and took two weeks to do about 7000 kms. The trip was from Perth to Laverton then across the great central road through Warburton and Giles into Uluru (Ayers Rock), up to Kings Canyon, along the Meerenie Loop road to the West McDonnel Ranges and into Alice Springs. The disco performed flawlessly the whole way. The ride was excellent, particularily on very corugated roads. No squeaks or rattles at all after the trip. Only hasle was a blown tyre that had to be ordered from Adelaide while we were in Alice as it was a Cooper 245/70/17 (not common). The tyre danmage was a sliced side wall on the rear, probably because I was running 34 psi. This was a compromise because of the 1500 kg camper trailer on the rear. Next time I'll probab;ly go to 28-30 psi and slow down.

The two really good 4WD parts were the 300 odd ks from Warburton to Giles after an inch of rain overnight - lots of mud and the trailer with a mind of its own, and the 4 km final stretch into Palm Valley. This is an isolated valley withe red cabbage palms (only plave in the world they are found) with a drive up the river bed to the parking area. It needs slow speeds and lots of suspension travel.

Have a look at the pics in my gallery if you area interested.

Post #6473719th Jun 2006 3:16 am
Jamo

Australia 

Sounds and looks great!

We did the exact same trip about 3 years ago in the Suby. Even blew a tyre on the Meerenie Loop road, although mine involved putting a really big dent in the wheel rim as well.

Must do it again in the D3 (but only after rain like you did!)
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #6473919th Jun 2006 4:26 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Ahhhh Memories....I spent 6 weeks in the Simpson Desert at Ross River Homestead in 1989 (about 50 miles to the east of Alice) ...it was heaven on earth.....driving quads and toyota ute's around their 26 sq.mile ranch.

Took a three day camel trek into the desert accompanied by brown snakes, huntsmans, redbacks, funny looking wasps, roo's, dingo's, major sized lizards and thousands of Galahs...

Oh want to go back soooo much Big Cry ......be nice to take a D3 too Very Happy
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #6477619th Jun 2006 11:46 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >