Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Central Locking
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
mzplcg

England 
Central Locking

OK, I officially give up. Would someone explain to me the logic behind the central lcoking please? t seems completely random to me.
Main issue would be when getting out of the driver's door (key still in ignition) none of the other doors unlock but if I remove the key all the locks cycle through unlock and then they re-lock themselves again. Confused

Now I'm confused !! (this does not take much though)

So I need to get out of the driver's door and open one of the rear doors (school run - let the kids in) and I have to use the key remote to open the locks. Weird indeed.

I am comparing this to the wife's S Type Jag since there seem to be so many common components. In that, when I pull the driver's door handle (inside one) it unlocks the door which in turn fires the unlock cycle of the central locking. Common sense and logical. This LR3 does not follow the same logic by the look of things.

Anyway, is it me or do I have a fault? I know it is not usual to leave the key in but I always have done to keep the DVD's playing (school run has 2 collects/drop offs). I would expect when I open the driver's door from the inside that it would fire the unlock cycle of the central locking. Every other vehicle I've had does this.

Thanks in advance

Dom

Post #49822921st Jul 2009 7:29 pm
viethson

Germany 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto BournvilleDiscovery 4

Hello to you,

the car should unlock all doors when the key is pulled out, if it re-locks again, that sounds like a bug.
But all doors remain locked even if you have opened a door from inside already, that´s normal and obviously different from the Jaguar.
Solution might be to either to pull the key from ignition before you get out (and maybe before you open the door) or if that fails to unlock all doors press the unlock button on the dashboard.
Maybe that helps.

Cheers,
Marc
 Life in the slow lane  
Post #49881223rd Jul 2009 9:46 am
catweasel

viethson wrote:
Hello to you,

the car should unlock all doors when the key is pulled out
only if all doors were unlocked prior to inserting the key. if just the drivers door was unlocked before a drive then that is all that will unlock on key removal. if you do not wish to remove the key then why not use the unlock button on the centre console next to the hazard light switch (from memory). only the front doors can be opened without the need to unlock first. well though out in my opinion.

unlocking and relocking is a fault though and needs investigation.

Post #49896323rd Jul 2009 2:17 pm
mzplcg

England 

Thanks for the tips Chaps. I took it to the dealer and they confirmed there was a fault which they fixed. So it's better than it was, at least it doesn't re-lock now.

So, if I understand this right, and assuming I wish to leave the key in the ignition (which I do for this stop) I need to use the unlock button on the dash prior to exiting the car.

What I don't understand is why opening one of the front doors doesn't trigger the locking. Maybe I'm a bit dopey but that would seem logical to me but then that it what I am used to in the Jag. My Merc also did this as did the D2 which I had....pretty much all my cars used to do this.

The aggravating part is getting out of the drivers door, trying to open the O/S/R door and almost breaking fingers 'cos it's locked. Basically, I have one child in the car and am stopping for the second pick up so I like to leave the DVD running. I never move more than a foot or two away from the thing but I do get out and I do need to open the rear door. Guess I'll have to re-learn old habits then.

Post #50051727th Jul 2009 8:15 pm
mikep

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

jags and most mercs are not for off road use, discos are! and you may just pull up next to wacking great boulder or cliff edge, so if you don't want your passengers diving out into dangerous situations or smacking a door into a rock Big Cry , the doors stay locked until you the guy in control, say so! use the unlock button on the dash, Simples! Thumbs Up
 Know your limitations, come closer to perfection.

Other wheels, Honda CBR1100XX Super Blackbird.

Other pleasures, SWMBO,......honest dear! 

Post #50052427th Jul 2009 8:49 pm
catweasel

with the key in the ignition you can just pull the lever to open the door from inside on both front doors but will remain locked from the outside. the rear doors will need to be unlocked (on the door card not the button)then pull the lever to open the door. even if you remove the key not all doors will neccessarily open. if you only unlocked the drivers door then with the key removal, only this door will unlock. you can choose not to have the doors lock when driving off.

Post #50066928th Jul 2009 4:29 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >